[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Morels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: morel.png (558KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
morel.png
558KB, 1000x750px
What makes it difficult to cultivate these godly delicacies in an artificial condition?? I heard not all of their strains are mycorrhizal
>>
>>9167597
That picture is triggering me
>>
>>9167607
But why, anon??
>>
>>9167597
years ago when I was a kid those things grew on the old empty cement bags in my backyard
>>
>>9167640
What kind of material was those cement bags made of?? Jute?? On a side note, thank you anon
>>
>>9167650
regilar grayish-brown thick paper, but despite laying more bags in the vicinity they died out
>>
>>9167655
Of course they would have died approaching summer. But if the spores has been spread wide enough they should come again in the next spring. Did you examine them, anon?? Did they really growing from the bags and not from the soil below?
>>
>>9167664
I was like 7 or 8 at the time so i dont really know/remember any details
they were growing for couple years if I remember corectly, before they dissapeard
>>
>>9167597
they depend on very specific conditions for fruiting, which i and other happen to know. i could easily link this information but i may do it commercially one day and i cant allow greedy capitalists to have the ability to compete with me.
all you need to know are the boundary conditions for growth and fruiting, methods in selecting strains and mushroom breeding and a grow lab set up that can control temp humidity, co2, and light.
think those are hard try to get mychozarial fungi like chantrels to do what you want under controlled conditions. you ether have to colonize saplings in a greenhouse or somehow build a grow box in the soil that you can control, with a tree coming out of it.
>>
>>9167808
Is it possible to do (artificial condition) in tropical climate?? From what I've observe, they seem to colonize during winter especially when the snow is thick, so don't you think you can just put them in the fridge for colonization, then put them out to room temp for fruiting?? I reckon the evaporation should do the trick
>>
File: 20160509_184124.jpg (2MB, 2724x2772px) Image search: [Google]
20160509_184124.jpg
2MB, 2724x2772px
>>9167597
I've collected soil samples from some of my best morel spots, haven't been bothered to analyze any of them.
I don't know much about biology, but in general I've seen morels grow under very specific conditions and in the presence of specific types of decaying plants.
They've also grown in almost the same exact locations each year; it may take a while for the mycelium to actually establish itself enough in the subsurface to begin producing mushrooms. Maybe that's just not economical to reproduce compared to other species.
Pic is from a location in may 2016.
>>
>>9168955
I have a hypothesis going on here, that they don't feed on lignocellulosic materials to get their energy, rather they feed on extractives of wood washed by the rain. An interesting stuff is that they grow on the sand nearby streams. The wood extractives explain their occurrence nearby streams as well, also how they grow nearby wood chip mulch. Btw, nice find and nice that you brought mesh bag to spread the spores even more.
>>
>>9168955
>specific types of decaying plants
Elms?? Mayapples?? Any type of grass??
>>
>>9169013
>>9170102
Yeah, we ran out of mesh bags though lol.
I like that hypothesis, I've noted (more from a geologists view) that they occur mostly on South-aspect slopes (if not flat terrain) which recieve higher isolation resulting in higher soil temperatures which we measured and compared to north aspect slopes.
Furthermore, these were more towards the base of slopes or isolated topographic basins where soil moisture was highest (by proximity to wetland area or by hydrologic properties of the soils). In short, a balance between moisture, sunlight, and shade which was enough to prevent the soils from drying completely.

And, we also noted that most of the decayed matter was upgradient from the morel sites (in our region, dead ash most prevalent, along with elm some elm) which would support your hypothesis that precipitation runoff from decay supports growth.
The best areas also had relatively thick fruiting shrubs with dense sprawling root structures, which leads me to think soil pH would be slightly acidic from the decaying berries. Also, dense roots hold soil moisture. Grasses were also present.
>>
>>9170278
I probably have an explanation about the South slope occurrence. The thing is, sunlight exposure, temperature increase, evaporation, MUSHROOMS! I think every type of fungus will fruit in response to evaporation. But the problem is, the sunlight intensity which affect temperature, which affect evaporation rate, which affect end moisture must be right. I read also that morels tend to fruit in northern slopes as well as the season progress from spring to summer.

The juicy stuff about my hypothesis is that there are probable similarities in different kind of morel species. Landscape morel?? They happen to fruit in the soil where wood chips are being spread. Sand morels?? They happen to fruit near the creek and streams. Elm and ash morels?? I read a research paper which concludes that the concentration of wood extractives leached by water will increase if the wood is infected or colonized by any type of fungus or pathogen e.g Dutch elm disease (maybe?)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.