[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dissertation topic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: thermoelectric generator.png (73KB, 285x307px) Image search: [Google]
thermoelectric generator.png
73KB, 285x307px
Hello /sci/,

Mechanical Engineering undergrad here.

In cryptocurrency mining using graphics cards or ASIC's, or even just in server rooms, waste heat seems to be a large untapped resource that could be used to reduce the power consumption of the components.

Using a small thermoelectric device, the temperature differential could be used to drive a voltage which could be used to produce a small amount of energy which the component could use, to even say reduce the power consumption by 1-5%, which for a 150W graphics card could turn into a substantial saving. Especially when the manufacture of the small thermoelectric device is fairly cheap (£5ish), whereas a new graphics card (say rx 580) is £200-300.

Do you guys think this idea could form a decent dissertation paper?

Cheers
>>
>>9167352
>Do you guys think this idea could form a decent dissertation paper?
I think it's a neat idea. I...is that good enough?
>>
>>9167357
Thanks senpai.

I was more curious to see if there was something obvious I was missing, or if this was already done by Nvidia/AMD/IBM or something
>>
>>9167361
I think that you'd get a better idea if you just ran it by your supervisor.
>>
>>9167352
That's a good idea. also look into stirling engines. they produce a tiny ammount of power, but they are used in sumarines to power some shit idk.
>>
File: 1504899224105.png (69KB, 328x277px) Image search: [Google]
1504899224105.png
69KB, 328x277px
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ITS MENTIONED EVERYWHERE I GO
>>
Ok, but how are you going to cool the cards?
>>
>>9167471
The modules have heat sinks on one side. So long as the heat transfers fast enough to keep things cool, you could even use these on CPU/GPUs directly.

>>9167352
Seems like a cool subject.
>>
File: 1499725358627.jpg (34KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
1499725358627.jpg
34KB, 640x425px
>>9167456
Remember, buy high, sell low
>>
>>9167352
Sure.

You might want to optimise the heat path, with a very cold cold side drain, and gain heat from RAM, then disks and in the last stages CPU/GPU before again sending heat to the thermoelectric device.
>>
>>9167352
The heatsinks need to be at an elevated temperature to dissipate heat. The thermoelectric generators need a temperature differential between the sides to produce power. The only way to achieve both would be to increase the temperature of the processor.

You're a fucking idiot.
>>
File: 1.jpg (6KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
6KB, 247x204px
>>9167618
>>9167456
AAAAAA

>>9167662
that sounds like a good method of extracting as much heat as possible

>>9167671
>computer is off
>heat sink and cpu/gpu = ambient room temperature

>computer is turned on
>cpu/gpu heat up
>heat is transferred from the cpu/gpu into the heatsink

instead, why not add a TEG to extract a current from the heat differential
>>
>>9167691
the TEG presents itself as an additional thermal resistance between the processor and heatsink
how fucking hard is it to understand this?
>>
>>9167699
yeah, and what's the problem with that?

Component efficiency has almost no bearing on temperature between like -20'C and +90'C, unless the thermal resistance is enough that it would cause the chip to overheat (maybe a better heatsink or liquid cooling?)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.