[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Uni thread demographics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_3145.jpg (116KB, 1024x699px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3145.jpg
116KB, 1024x699px
ITT list
>uni
>major
>GPA
>if graduated, where you are currently and salary
>current uni debt

>UC Berkeley
>microbiology
>3.7 GPA
>UCLA
>PharmD
>class of 2020
>3.0

Amassed $48,000 in loans, projected to be around $100k in total loans when finished.
>>
>mfw americans pay such ridiculous tuition prices
>~5k/year in canada
>>
>>9167264
>Monash University (Australia)
>Physics and Mathematics
>3.833 GPA
>2nd year
>Probably like $20 000 AUD but I would be willing to pay more.
>>
>>9167264
Micro master race.
Did premeds shit up your micro courses too?
>>
>>9167264
>University of Amsterdam, bachelors, master's, PhD
>Neuroscience
>graduated with highest distinction
>now a post-doc, salary is 2650 euro's a month after tax
>no debt at all, I worked as an RA while studying and that was enough to live off and tuition isn't much here
>>
>PhD
>in residency
>will be in my father's practice
>father paid, so no debt/no clue what this all cost.
>>
>ETH Zurich
>CompScience (BSc)
>just started
>no debt ever because my family is not fucking poor
>>
>uni
HUJI
>major
physics and Compsci
>GPA
Percentage is 90 atm without considering a wasted year
NopeNopeNope
>current uni debt
Parents are helping me through uni because it's only 2.5k a year
>>
>Concordia Canada
>3.5 GPA
>Physics 2nd year
>No debt is pretty cheap considering

I got 2 B's, a c and d first semester and straight A's second semester. Do your homework kids!
>>
>>9167677
Premeds are so fucking annoying.
Always finding a way to squeeze it into conversation....
"Hey how's your day going?"
"Busy, I'm pre med so I study a ton"

I'm glad a large chunk of the annoying ones are weeded out after the first exams in calc/chem/ochem
>>
File: IMG_2372.png (8KB, 473x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2372.png
8KB, 473x500px
>>9168051

>first semester placed on academic probation
>A, D, C, D, D
>subsequent 7 semesters, all A's too
>retook the 4 courses during summer

I made grandmaster in Starcraft 2 during my failed freshman semester though
>>
>>9167264
>duke
>cs, considering killing myself
>3.55
>0

i've realized i can't into math. i want to redo life.
>>
>>9167264
>Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
>Chemistry
>3.7 ish
>2nd year
>no debt
>>
>University of Michigan
>p u r e
>3.6
>Work for a three letter agency as an analyst, $50kish
>class of 2015
Mommy and daddy paid for my degree. Debt free.
>>
>>9167677
>>9168772
>tfw your biomed/biotech undergrad courses are pretty much full of premed shitters now

Why is "premed" is so fucking popular? Most of these kids don't even know what the fuck they're studying. If anything, they'd be better off in a health sciences major or some shit. They don't fucking care about biochemistry lmfao
>>
>Harvard
>Mathematics
>1st semester
>-1000
>>
>>9167264
>Florida Int'l University
>math + comp sci double major
>3.69 (comp sci classes at my school were terrible software engineering shit smdh)
graduated then
>UChicago
>comp sci PhD focused on machine learning
didn't like it so i left and now i'm at
>Florida State University
>financial math PhD

$0.00 gross debt; probably made a net profit of ~$10,000 throughout undergrad from just scholarships
don't let anyone convince you state schools are bad
>>
File: phenotype.jpg (32KB, 400x382px) Image search: [Google]
phenotype.jpg
32KB, 400x382px
>>9168893
picture for visual interests' sake
>>
>>9168776
>GM in starcraft 2
worth it, lad. you know your priorities
>>
>University of Central Florida
>biomed major
>3.7
>graduated, working on my MS biotech degree (might go for the PhD afterwards honestly)
>no debt b o y s s s
>>
>Rider
>Business Administration/Marketing
>3.5 graduating
>NEET pushing off employment
>0
Also how is this /sci/
>>
>>9167293
Degrees don't mean shit when every idiot is able to get one.
>>
>>9168881

If you wanna do med but failed 1st time, biomed is the only path there tho
>>
File: IMG_0006.jpg (72KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0006.jpg
72KB, 550x366px
>>9168903
Rank 98 at my peak comrade, APM >250
>defeated MCanning continuously
>defeated scarlet x 2
>defeated Byun x 1
>defeated ForGG x 3

Only GM on NA though
Master on Kor and EU

Would probably only make diamond now, haven't played for 2-3 years
>>
>>9168932
you should have tried to go pro
i believe in u, anon
>>
File: IMG_3127.jpg (80KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3127.jpg
80KB, 640x640px
>>9168937

This is exactly what my dad told me when I played HS football, and I was aware enough to know that I sucked so bad that colleges wouldn't even look at my candidacy

>son, you can be whatever you want, you can be an astronaut, a musician, even president. I believe in you
>>stfu dad
>>
>>9168942
yea ok but your dad isn't some random autistic mathematician on the internet and HS football isn't starcraft 2
stop making false equivalences and do what i say, anonくん
>>
>>9167264
>Georgia Tech
>Mechanical engineering
>2.69 GPA
>literally 100k USD starting by working as a commissioned insurance agent and outperforming all my peers at the company
>no debt

My degree goes into personal projects and continued learning. I also landed in (or rather, was pulled into) a regional manager position recently, so we'll see how that goes. I plan on going into engineering eventually, but the bastards in my area all wanted absurd amounts of experience for the "entry-level" jobs. From the contacts I made from the job search, I now know it's because they want to under-staff on purpose and cut corners by working engineers to the bone and making them coordinate employees instead of putting proper supervisors on the payroll.

I do hope that's just a local custom and not the whole picture with engineering, though. The job I have now is terribly busy, and living in a low-cost area, it's far more money than I know what to do with anymore.
>>
>>9168945
Then you're already aware I'd be statistically more likely to be injured in a car accident than go pro in SC2, fuck you for trying to make me homeless random math autist for toying with my dreams
>>
>>9168946
maybe they just want good engineers who got decent GPA and worked in an actual engineering position before. i wouldn't hire someone who went to become an insurance agent cause it tells me they aren't serious about the field
>>
>>9168948
you beat Byun and ForGG once each
i'm just trying to live vicariously through you since i can't fucking into starcraft, anon
it's what any good math autist father would do
>>
UF
MechE
Junior
$14,000
>>
>>9168946
>2.69 GPA
>outperforming all my peers at the company

literally can't outperform your peers now.
>>
>>9168958
>tfw we officially passed miami in US NEWS rankings
its about time
>>
>>9168963
hell yea
Are we still tied with Penn State?
>>
>>9168953
I didn't actually apply for life insurance sales. They pulled me aside and said they were looking for someone who could perform, so I took it. It was my third month looking for jobs, and no matter how you slice it, working somewhere definitely looks better to an employer than being a NEET for any sizable length of time. From what I've learned from industry contacts, GPA really only matters to the people who don't know what you'll be doing. They just lack a better metric with which to judge you, and if they're interested, savvy employers will often ask you about your GPA just to wind up requesting your transcript so they can gauge your honesty with them. Because the honesty definitely matters when you're the one fiddling with their products and production lines.

>>9168961
To be honest, the peers here aren't the most skilled people I've met, and the pay would be shit if they weren't paying by commissions. I've gotten paid in direct proportion to how much I sell, and while the expected success rate is around 20% for an insurance sale, I net closer to 50%. Agents definitely do live on that 20%, so I've gotten myself a decent deal while also earning the gift of gab.
>>
lots of Floridians...

anyone go to UNF?
>>
>>9168985
So school is more of a personal goal than a career building step? Not bad dude, sounds comfy
>>
File: 8206de0f.jpg (56KB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
8206de0f.jpg
56KB, 1280x719px
>UCLA
>Mechanical Engineering
>3.6
>No debt

Graduated 4 months ago, been living as a NEET since. Should have probably put more effort into getting an internship since I'm not getting any job interviews.
>>
>>9169096
maybe it's the fact that you have anime pictures saved on your computer
>>
>>9167264
University of Washington - Seattle (UW)
Computer Science
Graduated in 2014, current salary $178k/year (getting a promotion at the end of 2017 where my salary will be around $260k)
No debt (paid it all off in the first year)
>>
>>9169178
how you make so much?
>>
>>9168984
You guys are practically tied with state pen.
>>
>>9169183
There's a ton of career fairs at this school + lots of companies nearby + no other schools in the area as competition (like at Berkeley you have Stanford + calpoly + ucla as local competition, UW is pretty much the only one in Washington)

the median starting salary here for CS is around $110-150k (I started around $120)
>>
>>9169183
my brother graduated with a degree in Computer Science back in 2009 at BYU (he's not a Mormon), and he works @ Microsoft HQ in Seattle making roughly what this guy makes >>9169178

Bro is always bitching about having to certify, recertify, and never ending continual certifications for the countless Microsoft Certs
>>
>>9168917
>>Degrees don't mean shit when every idiot with money is able to get one.
Fixed.
>>
>>9169096
Literally how
At UCLA, you are LITERALLY guaranteed internships if you have above a 3.0 in engineering
It's absolute easy mode. I refuse to believe this. Recruiters will beg for you just because you went to LA. You are walking gods.

Try going to UCR where even with an actual 4.0, a good portfolio, and research, you have to look out of state for internships, just because of that big ol' stinky "Riverside" on your resume, which causes everyone in OC and the LA area to immediately bin your application. I eventually found one in fucking Atlanta.

I'm seriously in disbelief. School rank is THE MOST important factor when it comes to finding an internship. I only wish I knew this 3 years ago, where I fell for the "undergrad doesn't matter" meme, and got tempted by UCR's financial aid. I could have gone to UCSD and been treated as a normal student during my searching, instead of a subhuman.
>>
>>9169192
do recruiters frown upon out-of-staters applying for jobs there
>>
>>9169262
No. I'm from OOS and I chose to go here, they don't actually ask
>>
How the heck are your GPAs so high? The maximum in our engineering department is like 3.6. Is this an American thing?
>>
> École Normale Supérieure (ENS)
> maths
> school pays me to study, currently +20k in savings
>>
>>9169270
Well I graduated from a Cali state school and there's no work here unless you went to Berkeley or Stanford. I was considering applying for positions up north like in Washington, but I was concerned that they'd all go to local grads and students from UW
>>
>>9169279
>t. virgin
>>
>>9167299
What's physics (and mathematics) like at Monash?
>>
>>9167264
>Southern California community college
>mathematics and philosophy
>4.0
No uni debt but the hole in heart gets deeper every day
>>
>UHM
>Double Major Astrophysics + CompSci
>3.7

I only have myself to blame for my sleepless nights
>>
File: 1352060449245.jpg (58KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1352060449245.jpg
58KB, 225x225px
>>9169324
>philosophy
>>
Monash university, Australia
Medicine (MBBS)
Will be about $60,000 aud after six years, but basically interest free
>>
File: IMG_2092.jpg (245KB, 554x548px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2092.jpg
245KB, 554x548px
>University of Pheonix
>Samoan 6th Century Literature
>4.0
>Shits easy cuz Samoans didn't learn to write until the 21st century
>>
>>9169350
He said math and philosophy. Which simply means he has a better understand of life and the world around him than you sorry star wars nerd
>>
>>9169183
CS is THE meme degree, and great glory be to the one who's actually interested in the content and not just the money.
>>
>>9169481
True. You don't even have to be good at all to get shit tons of money.

>uni
Cheap State school
>major
CS
>GPA
~3.5
Seattle, $150k w/ benefits
>current uni debt
$0k, paid off on first paycheck.
>>
>>9169211
Don't be naive, poor people are retarded at much higher rates, have lower graduation rates and don't fit environments like Harvard's or Stanford's
>>
Georgia Tech
Math major
>salary
I didn't sell out and went to grad school
>implying loans
What kind of idiot takes loans? Find a school that will give you enough money to be affordable.
>>
>>9167264
>Santa Barbara city college(fall 2014)
>biology
>dont remember around a 3.5
>paid tuition with poker winnings
>parents house
>i make around 14,000 a year growing vegetals and fish, could make alot more.
I never stopped studying, i actually study alot more since i dropped out and im not constantly smoking weed and getting fucked up 5 nights a week.
right now im going through baby logic and will continue up until i understand modal. Im going to learn basic set theory, probability theory, inferential statistics, and get to calculus before going back to a four year college. My plan is to finish my undergraduate degree in 2 years. Depending on my prospects, if they dont look great i will probably go to a meme college like evergreen state, ES would allow me to get credit fast and the professors and facilities are very underutilized so its a great place to get some good experience in the field I plan on going into (ecology). The actual degree is toliet paper as far as im concerned, i just need facilities to get research experience in and a path to get me to the GREs, those things are what will get me into a prestigious post-graduate program. Evergreen is also a fit for me because its location, great outdoor life and a ton of nature weirdos and any drug i want to keep me company, its relatively cheap. Evergreen also has a significant population of serious anarchists in and around the school, although more and more liberal trustafarians flood in every year and kinda ruin it.
>>
>>9167264
>lake superior community college
>cyber security
>3.5
>$0 cause I am not a retard that goes to a university
>>
>>9167264
>uni
Dutch
>major
Nanomaterial science
>GPA
>current uni debt
0, because the Netherlands is actually a first world country.
Finishing my master this year.
>>
>>9168791
Hows duke? Im too poor but I bet living in Research triangle is pretty nice.
I live near ECU, and only bumfucks go there.
>>
>Iowa State
>Mathematics
>3.71 GPA
>No debt because saved money + scholarships
>>
>every one has 3.4 or 3.6 and so on
>I only got 3.0

I'm a failure
>>
>>9167264
Texas A&M
Computer Science
0 debt, I get paid to go to school, GI bill ;)
>>
>>9168791
How much is it for you to go to Duke?
My dream is to go there for grad school but it's just a dream, no way I'll ever get into.
Seems expensive as fuck too
>>
>University of Western Sydney
>Chemistry/Biochemistry
>6.6 something. They are out of 7 here.
>Tech officer at the uni because I wanted money and I like going home and not having to worry about assignments or anything. Might continue studies later.
>approx $30k AUD but it is indexed to inflation and I only pay it back as a fraction of my taxes, so whatever.

>>9168881
I swear I was the only one who graduated with a biochem major that wasn't looking to go into medical school.
>>
File: financephd.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
financephd.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>>9167264

Industrial Engineering + Math

Average: 9,75

That would be a 4,5 GPA i guess

After this i will get a phd in finance for that sweet 200k starting.

Debt: 0, Uni is free
>>
>U of Rochester
>lol.0
>n/a
>$0, and won't have any.

I would not go to school if I would accrue 100k or more in debt.
>>
>Math PhD
>Any job I want
>300k starting
>>
>>9168776
Ayo, me breda, I am currently on academic probation because I'm retarded.

How the hell do I study? I'm lazy and get distracted easily.
>>
>>9168905
Aye, fellow knightfag
>>
Anyone here from a UK university? Is the public loan system any good?
>>
>>9167264
>UIUC
> Computer Science (College of Engineering) and Linguistics Undergrad
>3.84

>UW Seattle
>Masters in Computer Science, almost done
>3.67 GPA

$0 because the company I used to work for offered to pay off all my debt if I went back to school and got a masters degree

>>9169178
hi :DDDDDD
>>
>>9170149
You can't exceed 4.0 in university so depending on your lowest grade you might have a 4.0 or less.
>>
>>9170291
How can a 92%, a 94% and a 100% get all 4.0 gpa? American degrees are easy as fuck
>>
>>9170309
at competitive universities, a 90-94.99% gives you a 3.30 gpa. A 95%+ gets you the 4.0
>>
>>9170315

So 95% and 100% both get 4.0? Easy as fuck
>>
>>9170318
no in order to get a 4.0 you need to get a 95%, write a 35 page research paper on the subjects taught in class, get a 100% on the final, design a car to be used in the german grand prix, win the nobel prize in physics and drink edge shaving cream without a trip to the hospital. AFTER all of that you have to petition the department to give you a 4.0 in the class but keep in mind that theres only a >.05% success rate there
>>
>>9167264
>uni
Tulsa Community College
>>major
Computer Engineering
>>GPA
>>Semester
3rd
>>current uni debt
$0.00 I have the GI bill. I get paid $1,500 a month to go to school.
>>
>>9167264
>michigan
>nuclear engineering
>3.164 :'(
>at a national lab in cali. 112kper year before tax(fuck cali tax)
>$0 because of scholarships due to being a poor wetback shitskin
>>
>>9170257
I am. I've only taken tuition fee loans, not maintenance loans, and due to being an orphan poorfag that's only £3k per year (rest covered by bursaries etc.). As such, I'll probably repay it pretty soon after graduating.

It's a complete assfuck if you ever intend to repay it, the interest rate depends on your income but goes from RPI + 1% to RPI + 3% (off the top of my head, could be slightly wrong), and while you're studying it's the highest rate (RPI+3%). This means at worst you're paying something stupid like 6-7% interest which is insane on a £27k-40k loan.

If you never intend to pay it back fully the monthly repayments aren't too punishing but with the interest you'll never rid yourself of it with those alone.

If I've misunderstood something about this system please tell me because it seems horrible.
>>
>>9170331
You think that's hard? Here in India you need a 100% in the class or you'll be dropped - this includes upper division stem courses where the pass rate is 5-10%. The hardest part of all, though, is the final exam in which the professor asks you where is the right place to shit: in the home on a toilet or on a public street? Less than 0.5% pass rate.
>>
>>9170203
yeet boi, that hurricane was a meme
>>
>>9170422
>If you never intend to pay it back fully
What do you mean "if"? Is there another option?
>>
>Purdue
>MSc. EE
>Anywhere that's work
>None because of nigger scholarship
>>
>>9170461
>4.0
Forgot
>>
>>9170456
The monthly repayments required from you aren't very high, if I recall correctly. And if you make a small enough salary they don't require any repayment. As such, if your income isn't very high, you can pay back a small amount/not at all every month but if you have a sizable loan it's not gonna go away with small repayments because of the large interest.

It's ass backwards and I hate it.
>>
>>9170469
Oh and I forgot to add, after a certain time period (something like 30-40 years) they wipe the loan. But to benefit from that (in the sense that you've repaid less than the amount of the original loan) you'll have to have a very low salary for most of that time.

I'm kind of going off the top of my head here, you should look at the official gov sites if you want more accurate info.
>>
>Ashland University
>political science
>0·0
>dropped out, same town
>3,000usd

School is STUPID
>>
>>9170470
umm you know you can just ... leave the USA right?

the downside: your credit score is 0

upside: hopefully you learned something in college to be useful in your new country?
>>
>>9170422
>>9170456
Think of it as a 9% graduate tax if you earn above £21k GBP, it's not really "debt" in the conventional sense
>>
>>9170474
This is the UK we're talking about, not USA. And personally my loans aren't too big so I can pay them off probably within a year of graduation. However, the situation is shittier for people with larger loans.

But yes, I'm not from here originally so I have wondered about just fucking off.

>>9170479
Tories say it's not really debt because the interest is higher than in any sensible student loan to the point where most people will never pay it back entirely. It's stupid and I don't like it, but your funeral.
>>
>>9170484
No one in the UK should be put off from going to uni because of the debt, like you mentioned, it's just a sticker price that no one will pay (plus they won't chase you if you move abroad and dissappear).

The goverment is supposed to be reducing the interest on the loans though which is a positive move.
>>
>>9167264
>UFRGS (Brazil)
>Applied Math (with slight focus on algebra and computational methods)
>3.7 (highest in class I believe)
>only 2-3 semesters left before graduation
>0 debt because it's free and we usually live with our parents until we can afford our own house here in Brazil

can't really complain. I'm currently studying graph theory and want to apply to a grad school abroad.
>>
>>9169749
>his upper div electives are in Skiles!
>>
>>9170492
I don't really mind the loans themselves and the repayment plans seem quite OK, they're not gonna drive anyone to poverty.

I think they did say they were going to try and chase people who moved abroad and disappeared, but I'm not sure how serious they were and how well they can realistically do that.

The big issue I have with them is that the interest is ridiculous. If they reduce those enough, I'll be just fine with the loan system.

However, if your loans are such that you're telling people they're OK because "nobody will be able to pay them off anyway" or "you can just disappear abroad" then something is wrong and make no mistake.
>>
>>9170495

you like researching and publishing papers with others? bc thats what youll be doing for 'funding' for about 50k a year
>>
>Atlanta Community College
>Custodial Engineering
>1.7/4.0
>300k in credit card debt (credit cards are better for building a good credit score than government backed student loans.)

Set to go work right for walmart out of school, making a sweet 13$/hr, 38 hr per week
>>
>>9170500
I like it, but to be honest academic life seems easier in Brazil than internationally. Grad students in my department all have guaranteed funding, and doctors are relatively hard to find here, so it's also almost guaranteed you'll become professor in a relatively high paying institution.
But of course, it's Brazil, so you risk getting stabbed/shot everyday.
>>
>>9169557
You went to WSU?
>>
>>9170277
hi friendly husky

I did my undergrad at UW (CS), I should probably go back for a masters tho
>>
>>9170309
>>9170315
>>9170318
at my Uni (UWashington Seattle), for my major, 98% and up is 4.0, 90% is 3.0
>>
>>9170498
>I think they did say they were going to try and chase people who moved abroad and disappeared, but I'm not sure how serious they were and how well they can realistically do that.
>have to pay for expensive overseas lawyers to get a court order against you

>However, if your loans are such that you're telling people they're OK because "nobody will be able to pay them off anyway" or "you can just disappear abroad" then something is wrong and make no mistake.
I think they were trying to kick the can down the road by jacking up the fees, the Tories were trying to save money and incresing fees looked like a good idea at the time to try and balance the books.

The irony is that they knew that less people would repay with the new system when they introduced it. the debt will probably end up getting sold to the private sector.
>>
File: zuckerberg tape on laptop.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
zuckerberg tape on laptop.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>9167264
YOU TOOK OUT LOANS FOR GRAD SCHOOL

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>9169178
What kind of work do you do? I'm graduating in cs this year and the best offer I have so far is 68k per year, but I live in the midwest so cost of living is way lower and there are no big tech hubs around here.
>>
>Georgia Institute of Technology
>Computer Science
>3.9
>Not graduated
>a lot
>>
>Dartmouth
>Math
>3.84
>Not graduated
>About 40k when done
>>
>>9170520
It still boggles my mind how they just suddenly made the average uni graduate have a debt burden they can't reasonably ever hope to repay. And people are defending this.
>>
>>9170556
>they can't reasonably ever hope to repay
Isn't this the reason people don't give a damn? Non-graduates don't have to pay tax, and most grads that took loans "skate by" since they don't pay most of it back. They essentially pay tax for 9% and the govt is never repaid in full.

This system sure as hell better than private bank loans, though, no contest. It might not be "free" like in Europe, but it's a far cry from the American system.
>>
>>9167264
>McGill University
>Mathematics and Econ
>2017, Work for Liberty Mutual in Boston
>55K (starting position), taking actuarial exams
>$0 college debt (thanks Canada)
>>
>>9170778
is it interesting? helping sociopaths capitalize on the hard work of others through usury?
you are a beneficial microbe living in the gut of a parasite
>>
>>9170800
>Actuarial work.
>interesting.

Pick one Bucko
>>
>University of Cambridge
>Master in CompSci
>no gpa yet, starting this month
> ^
> probs alot when done

fuck murica unis
>>
>University of Toronto
>Physics M. Sc., going to USA for PhD
>2015 BSc grad
>No debt cause parents are rich
>2k/month after tax
>>
File: ClemsonCheerleader.jpg (79KB, 549x732px) Image search: [Google]
ClemsonCheerleader.jpg
79KB, 549x732px
Clemson University
Chemical engineering

Garbage school, garbage town, garbage degree. I got duped and consider suicide daily.
>>
>>9170349
we had a guy come to my lab from U of Tulsa and he sucked at computer engineering. I can only assume TCC is worse
>>
>>9169359
what's med like? is it difficult? are there a lot of contact hours? my physics/math friends shit on it but it's probably just classic elitism
>>
>>9169998
dw. people are more likely to post if they have a good gpa
>>
USF
Geophysics B.S
>>
File: 1492616440348.png (96KB, 363x475px) Image search: [Google]
1492616440348.png
96KB, 363x475px
>>9170918
>the school is fine but i take my self hatred out on others because i am a lazy failure who thinks i'm above it all and "smart but lazy"
nice try anon
>>
>>9167686
What is an "RA"? Is that an abbreviation for research assistant? I am looking for ways to pay off loans but still work on research at the same time.
>>
>>9169324
Wow literally same here. I'm Transferring to a larger "real" school though
>>
>>9168893
How the flying fuck do people get so many god damn scholarships? I don't qualify for most and the online ones feel like I'm giving my personal to nigerian princes.
>>
Simon Fraser University, Canada
Computer Engineering 2nd year
idk 6000 CAD? costs around 3k per semester
>>
>>9168051

I'm at Gray Nun's every day for 6 hours.

GPA is 4.2

you can do it too fucker. <3
>>
>>9171067
>4.2
what
>>
>>9171063
i had two during undergrad
one i got because i had a really good PSAT score in high school so the College Board was like "hey, you're a national scholar now or whatever" and my undergrad was like "well we're going to waive all your tuition and fees because of that"
if i hadn't been awarded that recognition though my undergrad still had an automatic full-tuition scholarship for all people entering with a GPA and SATs above a certain threshold so i would have gotten that instead
then my state (Florida; best state) has a state-wide scholarship for public universities awarded based on your GPA and SATs, which was basically free money since i didn't have any fees to begin with

this is the case at most public state universities, lad
i got accepted to plenty of great private schools and out-of-state public schools that i had to reject because i would have ended up taking 5-figure loans out yearly and that's just not worth it

>>9170800
>i hate bankers and insurance companies grrr
>u-until i need some money or have an insurance claim to file...
right

>>9169276
uh? unless you're at a notoriously hard-grading engineering school like GTech i don't understand why any reasonable, studious student would have below a 3.5 in any stem field
>>
>>9171078
you must have gotten accepted at some shit-tier private schools then. My Ivy League school was cheaper than my state school
>>
>>9169259
What are the go to School ranking systems that employers go to? US News or QS? What is the cut off for not being "stinky"? I see on US News its ranked 127 nationwide which doesn't seem too terrible...
>>
>>9171083
well i didn't apply to any ivies
i was planning on going to GTech but it was way too expensive as an out-of-state student
forgot where else i applied; not like it matters at the end of the day since it's just undergrad
>>
>>9169308
Yeah it is pretty good.

Physics department is great. In second year we do biweekly mathematica modelling labs.

There are lots of research opportunities if you are good enough.
>>
>>9170918
chem eng
>garbage degree

kek
>>
>>9170918
how do you even get a 2.5 gpa lmao

getting Cs in every major related class and pulling Bs in all your blow off classes?
>>
>>9171078
motherfucking B R I G H T F U T U R E S boy

how the fuck do they just hand that shit out to anyone that breathes
>>
>>9168917
>arbitrary insanely high money barriers make a degree more useful in practice
>>
>>9171106
Thanks
>>
Secret to getting high GPA?
>>
>>9171166
i really don't know, honestly
what's even more dumbfounding is the student you run into every once in a while that DOESN'T have bright futures
i seriously question whether or not they're just a puppet being radio-controlled by a colony of ants
>>
>UC Santa Cruz
>BA in Math, MS in Applied math
>3.54 for BA, 3.7 for MS
$50k debt total for BA and MS. I'd say it was a very good deal.
Currently working as a power electronics researcher at my university part time. Applying to the PhD program here then I'm gonna go make bank in silicon valley
>>
>>9167264
UC Berkeley
Mechanical Engineering
Junior
Current Uni debt is probably about 30k.
>>
>>9169867
Have fun replacing security cameras at Walmart
>>
>>9171196
study until you understand the material on the test
>>
>>9167264
300 BTC idont care any more.
also b.eng, b laws
>>
>>9171102
Big name schools and ivies have massive endowments. My ex went to Yale and didn't pay a penny out of pocket.
>>
>>9169867
>>9171275
i feel sorry for him honestly
>>
>>9170461
>>9170467

Lol'd hard at the nigger scholarship. But that's a really good engineering school anon, nice.
>>
>>9171296
not sure i could have made it into one of those top echelon schools for undergrad. i had a pretty decent resume but i hated doing extracurricular shit and volunteer work and i'm not a savant or anywhere near that intelligence level. i got rejected from caltech so my chances wouldn't have been realistic

i got into uchicago for grad school and now i'm at the perfect grad school for what i want to study and that's really all that i wanted to get out of undergrad
>>
>>9168917
>take out >$100k loans
Hint: you’re poor as well
>>
>uni
CSUB
>major
Bio / Comp Sci
>GPA
Not graduated yet, this will be my last semester if all goes well. Currently working for an environmental company doing biological consulting making $18/hr
>current uni debt
$25k all said and done

Really fucking tired of being in school now and this semester is killing me since the classes I'm in barely have my interest
>>
>>9171280
whoodathunk
>>
>>9167264
>UC Berkeley
>Pure Math
>Dont have one
>First semester
>Probably like 100k by the end
>>
>>9168793
How is it there?
>>
BA in writing
Shit
Startup business
75,000usd after tax
Paid off
>>
>>9171039
it's fun. most of the concepts are not that difficult but there are lots of contact hours.

You have to want to see patients, but there are heaps of things to do on the side. People in my class do basic science research in immunology, microbiology etc, others do more technical work in surgery/radiology or comp. sci/ data projects. I think the course is a really good preparation to work across lots of different areas.
>>
>>9169178
I've only been working a couple months but how do I make the jump from low 100k to mid 100k-200k?
>>
>>9170659
The joke is that 9% of your income is probably a lot, so most people will end up paying the original amount and quite a bit of interest over 30 years (think 9% of ~30k a year for 30 years). But because the interest is so high they'll still have debt left over.

A 9% graduate tax is extremely punishing. and the whole system is draconian. The Government WILL get what they gave you and much more besides, but you will likely never be debt-free.
>>
UoA Department of Physics, gpa 8, going on my second year.
>>
>>9171784
GPA of 8....
Did you guys add 3 extra letter grades or something?
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F DCB A ? ? ? ?
>>
File: chews.gif (212KB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
chews.gif
212KB, 189x189px
>>9167264
>bland east coast university
>chemistry
>2.2
>I just want a chemistry job in Texas at a large company
>0 debt
>>
>>9167686
How is neuroscience as a degree?
>>
>>9171124
ChemEng IS a garbage degree.
>>
>>9167264
lol fucking idiot thinks university and gpa is important... university is just an ignorant human plantation center that makes you memorize for exams. most humans dont open the book A SINGLE TIME after exam. most humans dont care about science in this system. people dont know any fucking thing after they graduate because they are in the worst system in the universe. bunch of idiot inferior humans are taken into places they dont care. they are forced to memorize and then forget.

L O L
>>
>>9170058
I recently started thinking I might try to go here. I'd have to figure out a way to sneak in through community college or something because I have poor academic history. I didn't know much about A&M before but I hear it's actually got a pretty decent reputation and I saw on WSO forums someone saying it's a semi-target. Only reason I'm considering trying this is because I'm becoming more and more fascinated by quantitative algorithmic trading (please no bully) but this is impossible to break into unless you have the right degree from a reputable university. Do you know if there is much recruiting for this at A&M? If so, is it mostly from energy trading firms in Houston?
Thread posts: 170
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.