[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Supervolcanoes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: morning_glory_hole_more_like.jpg (129KB, 896x504px) Image search: [Google]
morning_glory_hole_more_like.jpg
129KB, 896x504px
So there was recent non-scare about Yellowstone blowing up, and it got me thinking; is there literally nothing proactive to be done about supervolcanoes like this?

In finding this image I found an article about a theoretical plan to drill a hole into a caldera, pour water down it to cool it off and using the steam for geothermal energy production, but they admitted that the technology isn't quite there yet; particularly for actually drilling the hole, which would need to be like five miles deep apparently.

Still, a plan like this seems somewhat promising; if the point is that pressure builds up in these areas until it explodes outwards, couldn't you avoid the problem by released the pressure in some other, safer way? Sort of like lancing an abscess to drain the pus, could we not lance supervolcanoes to release the magma in smaller, more controlled ways, allowing us to avoid the huge catastrophic explosions?

I really don't know anything about geology so I don't even know where to start on this.
>>
>>9167077
Volcanoes erupt because of pressure, not heat.
If you cool down the surface, you are just creating a more impressive boom.
>>
>>9167082

Okay, but then doesn't it follow that you could find other ways to release the pressure that don't involve a giant explosion?
>>
Man doing anything to change this natural phenomenon is what will fuck up.
>>
>>9167077
I just want it to blow so my miserable existence comes to an end
>>
>>9167105
Some nuclear strategist guy for works for an NGO and browses /k/ once told me that a direct nuclear strike on Yellowstone wouldn't be enough to set it off. If a nuke can't do it, then that speaks volumes about how far down the puss of this pimple lies, and how difficult it would be to release the pressure. There's a lot of hot shit down there. Any hole you drill down there is going to turn into the mother of all urinary tract infections. It's gonna burn, if know what i mean.

We can't even "release the pressure safely" for regular volcanos. Yellowstone is simply beyond our ability to control at this point in time.
>>
Am i the only one that worries that Kim Jong-un is planning on nuking Yellowstone while he lays in a bunker far underground
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.