[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does /sci/ think of economics majors?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1504897645485.jpg (35KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1504897645485.jpg
35KB, 300x300px
what does /sci/ think of economics majors?
>>
>>9166874
switch to math + stats and get a real job in finance
>>
>>9166877
>real job
>finance
just cause they pay you a lot doesn't make it a "real" job
>>
>>9166922
>implying it matters
>>
>>9166925
>implying it doesn't
>>
>>9166945
It doesn't.
>>
>>9167001
>how you spend countless hours of your life does not matter
/biz/ scum are so vapid
>>
>>9166874
Math and econ double majors are the real chads of /sci/.
>>
>>9166874
from what i see the only time sci gets mad about econ is when someone suggests its a science, as long as you are honest that economics is a useful albeit bullshit house of cards no one cares
>>
>>9167218
>economics is a useful albeit bullshit house of cards

Literally every branch of science is a useful albeit bullshit house of cards
>>
>>9167230
But that's wrong.
>>
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but if I wanted to become an actuary should I major in actuarial studies, or should I major in maths and stats?
Given that nearly all applications I've seen for actuary jobs are okay with either major, and also given that I have a passion for maths.
>>
>>9166874
I'm majoring in eco/finance now, and I love the eco side. I find it fascinating.

In regards to career prospects, probably combine it with something else. I'm not bad at math (got through calc 1,2,3 and linear algebra before I dropped engineering and switched to eco/finance) so I'm hoping to get my masters in econometrics after I get my bachelors, then work in finance somewhere.
>>
>>9167303
If you only care about the job go to actuarial studies, if you want decent education go for math + stat.
>>
>>9167218
t. Commie
>>
>>9166874
Not much
Having (or worse still, obtaining) an undergrad degree in economics tells me very little about a person, who they are, whatever particular things they are interested in, what they plan on doing with their degree, or why they choose to study economics.
I consider the degree itself to be toilet paper, both in general and for becoming an economist. "Economists" that only have an undergraduate degree almost always tend to be horrible people working for the PR industry or some low tier analysis for corporations. This excludes economics majors that go into a field unrelated to economics
>>
File: IMG_0099.png (438KB, 808x805px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0099.png
438KB, 808x805px
>>9167554
>eco/finance now, and I love the eco side. I find it fascinating.
>eco/finance
Major in biology if you live ecology so much. Ecology is much better than economics for mathematicians and statisticians, more interesting and applicable to life, and won't land you in bed with a lot of sociopaths like finance.

If I find out you are using the prefix "eco" to refer to "Econ"omics. You will watch as I slowly dismember you, and rape the flesh I pull from your bones.
>>
>>9167303
Actuarial jobs are in huge demand right now. They would be happy to take anything that passes the certification
>>
MS Math here, doing a PhD in statistics. I've always been really interested in economics and that's why I got into statistics and financial math to begin with.

Afaik in my department economics is respected. Neckbeards on image boards like to talk shit about anything.
>>
>>9167303
You're really lucky to go to a school that offers actuarial courses, much less a whole major.
But at the undergrad you should major in math/stats and take whatever actuary courses you want.
My advice for courses:
All the Analysis you can
All the Probability you can
1 topology course
Econometrics

Btw what school are you in? I'm considering a PhD in actuarial stuff.
I'm finishing my MS math right now, taking my 2nd actuary exam next month.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.