[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is this math symbol called

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: lNBRL.gif (5KB, 653x60px) Image search: [Google]
lNBRL.gif
5KB, 653x60px
Hey nerds,
How do I make mathematical vertical lines in MS Word eq-editor? (see pic)

>inb4 mocking me for using MS Word
>>
>using MS word instead of latex
wtf anon?
>>
>>9166701
i care about UI
>>
>>9166692
Mehmet my son you are a man now
You have to choose how to write math
1. Latex
2. Micropenis Word.
>>
>>9166692

no literally wtf

dont use word

this is not mocking its for your own good
>>
>>9166719
>>9166713
>>9166701
but guys i don't get it
i'm in advanced econ, so sure i have a few formulas here and there - but still it's mostly text.
i don't get an overview with latex, it's like coding.
with word, i see what i get - it's neat and easy, simple.

literally what is the benefit of using latex in 2017? just seems like it's making things complicated for no reason.
>>
>>9166703
what did OP mean by this?
>>
>>9166726
>what is the benefit of using latex
Looks pretty. Allows you to feel smug about yourself.
>>
>>9166730
~~aesthetics

also, that i'm too busy to not have things just werk
>>
>>9166726
Looks pretty, don't have to worry about formatting and can change formats of whole texts with one word, easy if you have Tesis models already made for you by kinder strangers.

If you have fair amount of equations it is faster to use latex as well.
>>
>>9166692
if im not mistaken its called an evaluation.
if not then maybe its just called an interval
you should really use latex tho OP
>>
>>9166692
could | be what you're looking for? As in shift+\ key under backspace? Don't know how to write notation in MS word but that would be my guess on first glance
>>
>>9166726
Once you get the hang of Latex, it's extremely difficult to go back to word. There's a slight barrier to entry, however.
>>
>>9166812
>extremely difficult
why exactly?

in ms word you can use latex-language in the eq.-editor, you know
>>
File: LaTex.png (123KB, 473x720px) Image search: [Google]
LaTex.png
123KB, 473x720px
>>9166713
heh heh I'm a real man, I get all the girls

I always carry a rubber around with me

heh heh yea, my copy of LaTex heh heh
>>
>>9166692
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_bar
I've usually heard/used pipe or bar
>>
>>9166924
Jesus Christ there really is a wiki article for everything isn't there.
>>
>>9166831
The equation editor is cumbersome and has nowhere near the same expressive power.
>>
>>9166692
|
>>
File: rms.jpg (38KB, 580x346px) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
38KB, 580x346px
>>9166692

>MS Word
>>
>MS
You do know which board you're on. Why would you not use latex? Formatting is done with a keyboard. Not screwing around with a mouse and a few pointers icons. It looks so much better on latex anyways.
>>
>>9166730
That he's a brainlet
>>
Everyone keeps saying that Latex looks better than MS word but I don't really see the difference when I read journals and compare them to what I type myself. They can be made to look the same, so why should I invest the time into learning Latex when I already know MS Word pretty well?
>>
>word
>latex
then there's whatever is in libreoffice, which is neither
>>
>>9169655

It's not hard to learn Latex and it's literally made for typesetting. I can tell the difference between Word and TeX and Word always looks like shit.
>>
>>9169706
What about Word makes it look like shit? Could the difference be due to the writer, not the software?
I just started grad school so I'd like to know if I should be investing time into learning Latex.
>>
>>9169655
Well, we can argue about aesthetics for ages, I don't think that sort of discussion will get you anywhere on a Romanian body-hair appreciation image board.

What I will tell you is this: if you'll ever find yourself having to write a 200-page document (thesis, report, ..) - have a good think about how you want to go about writing that. Using the LaTeX typesetting system, you can forge a document like that in a consistent and logical/programmatic manner - highly desirable if you work with lots of figures and tables. One you have the content in place, you will find it piss-easy to change its look and feel. Of course there's a learning curve to it, but as someone who's typing up his physics PhD thesis at the moment: I'd rather get a neck shave by a drunk Stevie Wonder than having to do it in MS Word.

Not saying it's perfect, by I can't see myself ever going back to Word shite..
>>
>>9169713
>I just started grad school so I'd like to know if I should be investing time into learning Latex.
Yes you should learn latex.
>>
>>9168599
You can use the same synthax for programming in the MS editor too, now. It has the benefit of some autoformatting (fractions, parantheses, subscript, superscript etc), and you can see what you're writing without having to read code. I agree LaTex is better for publications and that kind of thing, but prefer MS (OneNote, in particular) for taking notes or actually writing down calculations as I do them. Saves me having to keep track of physical notes and all that shit.
Also, MS becomes godlike once you figure out that you can edit the autocorrect to suit your needs.
>>
>>9166692

>>9166803
This. Typing \vbar does the same thing. You cann add sub- and superscripts with _ and ^ respectively. Also check out Options->Proofing->Autocorrect->Math. Autocorrect for a full list of commands and the possibility to add your own. I can recommend adding \. for the \cdot and \bullet command.
>>
What LaTex editors do you guy's use?
>>
>>9169866
TeXworks
>>
Maybe use LyX as a intermediate step solution to get more accustomed to LaTeX before you make the big step that will ultimately set you free.
>>
>>9169797
When would you ever use cdot and bullet? they're bullet points... in equations...?
>>
>>9169953
>>9169783
>>9169720
>>9169706
>>9168599
>>9166812
>>9166799
>>9166791
>>9166732
>>9166719
>>9166713
>>9166701
Well, how long does it take to learn Latex?
Enough to write, say, a simple article with a few equations here and there.
>>
>>9169866
vim with live-latex-preview
>>
>>9170048
You can literally learn to do this in a few minutes. Whatever you don't know just Google it.
>>
>>9169713
>learning Latex.
play with this

https://latex.codecogs.com/eqneditor/editor.php
>>
>>9166726
Use an IDE like TexStudio for example, you have a clear overview of the output the whole time
>>
>>9170041
Because the make good multiplication/dot product operators. What alternative is there? * ?
>>
>>9166726
>i'm in advanced econ
the only thing here that's advanced is your mental handicap
>>
>>9169794
>read code
a markup language is not code you fucking subhuman
>>
>>9169713
>grad school
if you don't already know how to use latex and you're not learning right this minute i don't see you having the mental fortitude to graduate
>>
>>9169866
vim for writing/editing and an open instance of texShop to preview
>>
>>9171515
Look, I'm aware it's not actually code or commands but essentially autocorrect cues (or markup language as you say for LaTex). It's just a shorthand that gets the point across. No need to sperg out about it.
>>
>>9171513
maybe econs dont know latex because they actually have jobs and social lives
>>
>>9171799
the fact that you thought that post was about all econs says all i need to know about your IQ
>>
>>9172166
i'm devastated, but i'll try to soldier on in life
>>
>>9171799
>Thinks econs don't know LaTeX
Are you for real, lad?
>>
>>9170048
>>9166692

Try MathType. Easy to use and you can copy paste it into Word.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.