[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If there were a bunch of artificial islands built around and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: gulf idea.png (1MB, 734x600px) Image search: [Google]
gulf idea.png
1MB, 734x600px
If there were a bunch of artificial islands built around and in the gulf of mexico, would that actually weaken hurricanes headed towards places like new orleans and houston and etc.? If it wouldn't, is there a similar solution that would work?
>>
File: 1505261749066.png (1MB, 734x600px) Image search: [Google]
1505261749066.png
1MB, 734x600px
>>9164730
build wall
>>
File: 1505261749066.png (1MB, 734x600px) Image search: [Google]
1505261749066.png
1MB, 734x600px
>>9164762
build fans
>>
I might be easier to just build hurricane-proof houses. Everyone on the coast has to live in quonset huts.
>>
>>9164730
It would be less lily to do much to the hurricane than it would to absorb/deflect some of the energy of the storm surge, as do natural barrier islands.

But this >>9164768
>>
File: 6dc.png (751KB, 1051x1007px) Image search: [Google]
6dc.png
751KB, 1051x1007px
>>9164767
Epic

Why not fill in the whole Gulf of Mexico? You can't have any hurricanes if you don't have any warm water to feed them energy.
>>
>>9164730
In theory, yes. Environmental damage would be astronomical.

>>9164767
With enough wind turbines you can extract the energy out of the wind.

A better way would be to build gigantic ocean thermal power plants that lower the surface temperature. As long as you are below 27 C you are safe.

This would also leave you with enormous amounts of distilled fresh water in addition to hideous amounts of electric power.
>>
>>9164730
What if we dammed the gulf.
>>
>>9165459
... it would overflow with sewage from the rivers. Next it would heat up and with no cold water entering you would have the mother of all hurricanes.
>>
>>9165467

So, a literal shit storm?
>>
>>9166484
Yes, the ultimate one, and no fan needed.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.