[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are pure math degrees for autists, or are applied math degrees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

File: 446-pure-math-vs-applied-math.png (24KB, 473x226px) Image search: [Google]
446-pure-math-vs-applied-math.png
24KB, 473x226px
Are pure math degrees for autists, or are applied math degrees for sellouts?
>>
both
>>
>>9162974
correct, clearly he should've used the and operator.
>>
neither
>>
Mathematics is mainly just autism.

Most of the shit pure mathematics majors learn is has absolutely no real world application, they basically do the equivalent of digging up piles of dogshit and record it and think what they do is valuable because they "increased knowledge" in the world by forcing the rest of us to learn about popular dogshitting locations. Its especially bad when they think they're smarter than the rest of society because they have complicated equations for finding out the precise locations of dogshit. Intelligence isn't impressive if it's sublimated into useless knowledge-wanking.

Pure math degrees is autistic applied maths, which in turn is autistic chemistry/physics, which in turn is autistic engineering, which in turn is just autistic business.

Get a real job and apply yourselves.
>>
>>9162971
Engineering>all mathematics
>>
>>9163031

lol enjoy being unemployable in 5 years when all the students who fell for the stem meme enter the job market and drive supply way up
>>
>>9163004
>he's only joking
>>
>>9163034
Good luck to normies trying to do signal processing like myself, an autist, is. I'd like to see Chad understand complex analysis.
>>
>>9163048
lol you think you're special, that's adorable
>>
I think if you like one subject you should do it. It doesn't matter what we think, it matters what employers think.
>>
>>9163048
I do, and you probably don't.

>he probably didn't even take an intro topology course or an analysis PDEs course
>he thinks he """understands""" "complex analysis" (4 "engineers")
laughing girls.jpg
>>
Is pure math | applied math analogous to computer science | software engineering?
>>
>>9163004
surely pure math sometimes leads to real world applications. maybe 300 years ago calculus was thought of as pure?
>>
File: 2009IASOfficialPhoto.jpg (135KB, 798x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2009IASOfficialPhoto.jpg
135KB, 798x1200px
I disagree with everything in this thread
>>
>>9163119
Calculus was damn useful the minute it was done
>>
>>9163050
I am special Chad! You'll see someday :^(
>>
File: hardy.jpg (49KB, 312x368px) Image search: [Google]
hardy.jpg
49KB, 312x368px
>implying any mathematicians want their work to be useful to anyone
the great hardy once said:
>I have never done anything "useful". No discovery of mine has made, or is likely to make, directly or indirectly, for good or ill, the least difference to the amenity of the world.
which is ironic because he is best known for the bioshit hardy-weinberg principle but he is still the impersonation of /sci/ with this other wonderful quote:
>Hardy once told Bertrand Russell "If I could prove by logic that you would die in five minutes, I should be sorry you were going to die, but my sorrow would be very much mitigated by pleasure in the proof".
>>9163004
t. brainlet who couldn't major in stem
>>
>>9163119
Pure math is a modern invention.

Newton's mathematics were very much motivated by applied goals.
>>
>>9163178
false you FUCKING RETARD

go read the elements and hang yourself if you still don't get it

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>9163119
applied often leads to pure, and pure often leads to applied.

anyone disputing this is simply a shitposter.
>>
>>9163178

Mathematics is not invented.
>>
File: fpbp.jpg (88KB, 800x850px) Image search: [Google]
fpbp.jpg
88KB, 800x850px
>>9162971
>Are pure math degrees for autists, or are applied math degrees for sellouts?

>>9162974
>both

fpbp
>>
>>9163267
>>>/x/
>>
>>9163178

Newton has actually a fire and brimstone christian and thought his insights were a calling from God
>>
>>9162971
>the applied math virgin
>the pure math chad
>>
>>9162971
>Tfw author of spikedmath was my math prof for my first year
>>
>>9163818
>the pure virgin
>the applied chad
>>
>>9163004

Well, we don't give a shit if it has real world application or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgq-95y84Qs&list=LL4tUpusKJ07XFh5be6NTjzg&index=2&t=1s
>>
>>9163925
>muh math beauty
Literally made up by autists (like numberphile) that only were good at math and nothing else
>>
>>9163178
>applied goals
If you mean the goal of getting better at math then you are absolutely correct.
>>
>>9163048
>engineer claims to understand complex analysis
bretty gud jok
>>
>>9163933
>I have never written a proof in my life
>>
>>9162971
im looking at going back to college after a break.
Im planning on getting a degree in applied math, so i will excel as a post grad in the life sciences(ecology mostly) i need to be a soild graph theorist, and statistician to do the work i aspire to do. I dont really need a degree in biology as im already literate at a post-grad level in many areas, although i will probably minor or double major biology. i dont think im a sell out
>>
>>9163946
I have.
>he fell for the proofs are beautiful meme
>thinks his shit is art and compares himself to musicians, painters, etc just because he can do baby analysis proofs
lmao
>>
>>9163048

>engineer
>complex analysis
>>
>>9162971
Stop getting your worldview from 4chan.
>>
>pure math degree
you fags are still talking about the difference between bachelor's degrees? fucking idiots
>>
>>9164273

t. applied brainlet
>>
>>9163962

sellout status only applies to those looking to do math as their career, if you're majoring in anything else applied maths is superior.
>>
kind of think these should be reversed. avg mathematician toils in the dirt to build the fine structures of math. applied mathematicians just wear a suit and collect $$$ by knowing some maths & statistics
>>
>>9163004
well, pretty much everything pure math majors learned at my school has pretty direct applications. even the most abstract class (logic) had pretty standard applications to computer science. everything else was pretty much calc sequence then some basic algebra/analysis. most ppl had electives like probability, statistics, applied algebra, wavelets (even engineers know these), etc.
>>
>>9163925
>we don't give a shit if it has real world application or not
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>9163257
I had a good laugh at your post. Also, I agree with you.
>>
File: actually.gif (11KB, 500x422px) Image search: [Google]
actually.gif
11KB, 500x422px
>>9162984
and is included in the or operator. Unless you are talking about exclusive or. In which case nvm.
>>
>>9163925
>"...THAT ANNOYS ME"
it's so painfully obvious this guy is going to kill someone someday.
>>
>>9163257
>>9163267
>>9163606
>>9163939

Calculus - solving the applied problem of slopes of tangent lines, which has applications to motion and gravity

Binomial Theorem - Discovered through experimentalism despite its "pure" (for the time anyway) appearance.
>>
>>9163004
can you name me one human activity besides agriculture, medicine and basic construction that is usefull then?
>>
Pure math finds pretty much every application you can imagine in computer science.
>>
>>9164580
Bad news, your uni is shit.
>>
>>9163975
speak for yourself bud
>>
>>9163933
we're not pretending that anything else is going on
>>
>>9164593
you're a pure mathematician who cares about applications? why?
>>
>>9163920
Underrated
>>
>>9162971
What about engineers that haf mastered the complex finite element method. Are you at that level boy?!
>>
>>9162971
applied math is the only way to go, unless you want to do math for math's sake.
>>
File: Virgin+vs+chad_782f58_6376489.jpg (158KB, 1200x778px) Image search: [Google]
Virgin+vs+chad_782f58_6376489.jpg
158KB, 1200x778px
>>9163818
>the applied math Chad
>the pure math Virgin
Kek
>>9163818
>>
File: 1504025900956.gif (494KB, 245x240px) Image search: [Google]
1504025900956.gif
494KB, 245x240px
>>9163031
FORMULA SHEET
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.