[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'll be graduating next year with a degree in applied math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (19KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
19KB, 267x189px
I'll be graduating next year with a degree in applied math and I wanted to learn how to code. I understand the basics of it and I had to write some code for some computational math classes but what is the best way to learn code as a math major and what is the hardest aspects of computer sciences?
>pic related
>>
>>9161281
>>>/g/tfo
>>
Easiest way is to teach yourself, after taking 4 courses in college for the most part I just used the internet to teach myself. Hardest part for me was learning recursive methods.
>>
>>9161427
Thats because youre a brainlet codemonkey
>>
>>9161281
If you don't have any particular applications in mind that you're trying to use the code for, and are just trying to get a grip on the logic that goes into manifesting code, I'd just study related areas of discrete mathematics (namely boolean logic and basic predicate-calculus, set theory, number theory, and maybe cryptography). "Discrete Mathematics and its Applications" by Kenneth Rosen is a great introductory book, and covers a lot of topics. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>9161427
Currently trying to teach myself. How to I learn a language to a useful extent? Most of the self learning tools I've found on the internet are based around teaching the syntax for the language, and that's fine, but I'm clueless as to how to use a language to create a program that does something.
>>
If you want to learn coding, I recommend a YouTube channel called TheNewBoston. Also, coding and Computer Science aren't the same thing.
>>
>>9161547
>How to I learn a language to a useful extent?
Find a good textbook and do the exercises. Actually writing code is to understanding the background theory as proving theorems is to understanding the math; it's a skill that needs practice and lots of exercises if you want to become reasonably proficient at it.

For people with a mathematical bent, I can recommend http://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/ as my textbook of choice.
>>
Take a month learning C programming language with book K & R C programming language. Then you'll probably want to understand what kind of software you want to program and pick a language suitable for it(e.g. Java for android applications). You are also advised to know some basic algorithms: sorting, string algos, hashing, searching, graph algorithms etc., data structures: list, stack, queue, deque, heaps, search trees(and otheer search data structures), graphs, etc.

Some jobs don't require you to know algorithms and data structures(e.g. web developer) while other do, yet the odds are you'll be asked these on the interview for any job.

Machine Learning, Neural networks(these are quite known in media nowadays) require you to know calculus, statistics, probability and very basic of lin. algebra.
>>
>>9161512
Thanks Anon
>>
>>9161559
What's the main difference? is coding just the tools and computer science makes the tools?
>>
>>9161281

all of the advice in this thread is shit. you learn to write code by writing code that does things you want the computer to do. so you need to make a list of things that YOU want the computer to do that you cannot or would not want to do yourself. That is the whole fucking point of computers and computer programming. Don't "learn how to program," like there is some generic way. It depends entirely on what you want to do.

personal example:

I trade options on weekends. I really just do it for fun, although the money is nice too. I use python to sort stock data and run statistical calculations for me that would take me months to do by hand. The programs I write aren't complicated, but they provide me an "in" for appreciating what computers are good at doing and other things I could possibly use them for (like sorting through hundreds of thousands of files on the order of seconds and minutes).

Another example would be string editing. Say you have a shit load of files and want to cut off the first three characters of the name of every file in the directory. That's something a computer is good for and a good starting point for figuring out why you're even "learning to code" in the first place.

You learn to use computers by using them what they are made for. Don't just do it because everyone else is doing it. That's fucking retarded and you're going to become another retarded computer programmer that is lost and has no direction and doesn't know why he's programming in the first place.
>>
>>9161416
g is full of a bunch of idiots that don't know shit about computers other than side loading their samsung SIII.

Don't ask them for advice on anything
>>
>>9161624
Good advice
>>
>>9161576

>coding
Coding doesn't mean shit. It can be anything from writing HTML to programming embedded systems with C++ to writing hardware description with Verilog to writing builds in Ansible, which are all very different things. It is not a useful or descriptive term.

>Computer Science
Computer Science is largely theory. Algorithms and data structures are the two main tenants of Computer Science. Computer Science is useful when __applied__ to engineering problems.

> is coding just the tools and computer science makes the tools?

Software engineers and architects make the tools. Computer Scientists think up the algorithms and data structures that make the tools possible, practical and efficient.

If you want to learn 'coding' you probably want to learn programming. If you want your programming skills to be useful, you have to know a lot more than just programming. This is where knowledge of systems and tools come in.

I recommend starting your journey into IT by learning python and a unix command line environment, preferably bash.

Good luck
>>
>>9161281
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>>
>>9161624
On what platform are you trading? I am a poorfag right now, but am highly interested and the small dabbling into forex trading and long-term stock trading on demo accounts 12 years ago turned out promising. Looking to born some money once I paid of credits.

>>9161281 (OP)
What above fag said is true. I love theories and guides and shit, but don't fall into the trap that 99% of the people that stop programming do: "Oh I am gonna read that book and do this tutorial and then eventually I am able to program". Bullshit. You learn proofs by prooving things. Similarily, you learn how to write programs by... writing programs. Think of a problem then solve it. If you get stuck, look it up. That is the most effective way there is. (Besides having an experienced programer nearby programing with you, that will increase your powerlevel over 9000)

Also pick Python, it is an simpler language than Java and C++, yet still used to build usefull programs.
>>
>>9161281
Learn Python easy to learn a lot libraries to make anything, maybe change Java or C# to get more posible jobs.

Need be fluent coding don't worry about advance topics until could write and read code easy.

With background math you could learn algoritms(introduction to algoritms),theory coding,computation statistics,graph theory, average software developer don't know math pass calculus 1-3 and lineal algebra,use you math know as advance.

But usually math people never learn software developer, source code revision(git) pattern design,thread,database design, deploy.

Books
A Primer on Scientific Programming with Python
Database System Concepts Avi Silberschatz
Use mysql or Postgres as database and sqlalchemy as lib to query databases
A lot jobs begin in database systems.
Use as IDE free version Pycharm
https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/
>>
>>9161547
use newboston on youtube. What language are you learning? He has them all pretty much
>>
>>9161576

>What's the main difference? is coding just the tools and computer science makes the tools?

Computer Science is an academic field related to mathematics that deals with theory and algorithms. Coding is a job in which you command the computer to perform tasks.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.