[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ATHEISTS BTFO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: leibniz180.jpg (4KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
leibniz180.jpg
4KB, 180x180px
1. Any contingent fact about the world must have an explanation.
2. It is a contingent fact that there are contingent things.
3. The fact that there are contingent things must have an explanation. (1,2)
4. The fact that there are contingent things can’t be explained by any contingent things.
5. The fact that there are contingent things must be explained by something whose existence is not contingent. (3,4)

C. There is a necessary being. (5)
>>
>>9161255
>C. There is a necessary being. (5)
No

There is a necessary "something" not necessarily a being
>>
4 and 5 are leaps of faith
>>
Go away.
>>
>>9161257

That's an arbitrary point.

You can call it a "thing," a "being," a "variable," a "factor," an "entity," etc. It doesn't matter what you call it. The fact of the matter is that that necessary non-contingent thing, whatever you choose to call it, is unlike any other thing in the cosmos.

You may as well stop trying to be a special little snow-flake and just call that thing "God" like the rest of the world.
>>
>>9161266
Okay, then you're calling potentially some arbitrary, abstract, state of being which necessarily gives rise to universes, a "being"

It's not an arbitrary point - you're trying to anthropomorphize it to support your theistic viewpoint when really there is no reason to believe in that

Also you're ascribing causal logic to a "before" the Big Bang, and the Big Bang created time so
>>
>>9161255
>2. It is a contingent fact that there are contingent things.
This is unjustified. It's only contingent if you assume the fundamental properties of the universe were chosen some way. So this is begging the question. It is far simpler to assume that the fundamental properties of the universe are necessary, rather than assuming a necessary being to choose them.
>>
>>9161266
>The fact of the matter is that that necessary non-contingent thing, whatever you choose to call it, is unlike any other thing in the cosmos.
The cosmos is unlike anything in the cosmos.
>>
>>9161266
wtf I believe in God now
>>
>>9161255
Why is 4 true?
>>
>>9161397
Because then the contingent explanation would explain itself, so it wouldn't be contingent. The flaw is in 2.
>>
File: laughing beatles.gif (1MB, 494x230px) Image search: [Google]
laughing beatles.gif
1MB, 494x230px
>>9161266
>being "necessary" is all that's required to make something a god
Funny how the definition of God can be a million different things depending on whatever "proof" christfags want to present, but they all somehow equate to a sky dad even though they don't.
>>
>>9161255
Lets say for the sake of argument that premises 4 and 5 don't have glaring flaws:
Congrats, deism is valid but not demonstrated to be sound. Deism is the cosmological equivalent to saying if something is possible it is necessary or in any way correct.

You haven't gained an inch towards heaven, gods being/having a mind, hell, objective morality, free will, omniscience/omnipotence being valid, or literally any other tenant of any theist platform.
>>
>>9161255
6. That necessary being is nature/physical reality

Christcucks btfo
>>
>>9161266
atheists btfo by vaguness of language and changing definitions.
XD
>>
>>9161255

1. Any contingent fact about the world must have an explanation.

Why?
>>
Philosophers are brainlets.
>>
>>9162044
>Liebniz
>a brainlet
>>
>>9162039
It's an assumption
>>
>>9162039
Because if he said there must be a mover or a cause we'd have all seen it a million times and know he was full of it.

Instead he uses vague language that sounds slightly different from other not quite logical theist arguments, but it's really the same thing.
>>
>>9162055
Leibniz was also an accomplished polymath with many contributions to other fields. Modern academic """""""philosophers"""""""" are insecure brainlets.b
>>
>>9161255
1. Is false, how do you something can be explained or understood by mankind, i.e. How do you know reality has to make sense?
I mean I hope it to be true. I hope that we are capable of understanding our universe, but that's just hope :^)
>>
File: blockspace.jpg (87KB, 1816x793px) Image search: [Google]
blockspace.jpg
87KB, 1816x793px
>>9162104
Why? Would be much better for reality to make no sense whatsoever. As is the case with any puzzle, once you figure it all out, it's boring.

>>9162063
Well at least the god of the bible explicitly states that we will never figure out the nature of reality because it is not possible for men.

Me personally, I'm thinking of reality as a hexagon prism 4D fixed spacetime lately (see pic related). Past and future is all fixed, but we can choose if we want to experience the bluish - good - paths, or the reddish - red- paths, depending on our actions or inactions. Its a fairly common view and most likely wrong, but i like it.
>>
>>9161255
I normally hate ontological proofs but this one actually btfo young me. Somehow I never realized before that the universe is the effect of some cause we know not, which we would call God.
>>
>>9161257
Are you playing semantics or arguing that something that does not exist, or is not a being, can have an effect? My opinion is that the number 0 symbolizes what is not being, and that 0 adds nothing and transforms anything it is multiplied by also to 0 -- thus having no effect
>>
File: 1402771501077.jpg (3MB, 4800x3200px) Image search: [Google]
1402771501077.jpg
3MB, 4800x3200px
1) >implying
2) ok
3) >implying
4) >implying
5) ok

C) lol

Basically a fancy way of saying : "Something can't come out of nothing, except god "
>>
>>9161255
Not even an atheist but literally the premise is wrong.

>1. Any contingent fact about the world must have an explanation.
No

That's a paradox
>>
>>9162162
>Somehow I never realized before that the universe is the effect of some cause
It's not, the universe is necessary.
>>
>>9162223
I'm an atheist but your criticism is wrong.

>1. Any contingent fact about the world must have an explanation.
This is self-evident by the definition of contingency. Contingent facts are dependent on something else, which is their explanation.

>That's a paradox
It's not a paradox, but it is unjustified and the key controversy in the argument. It is just saying that a necessary cause explains the fact that there are contingent things. This is not paradoxical, but it can be countered with the assumption that the fact that there are contingent things is necessary, i.e. the properties of the universe which determine everything in it are necessary/fundamental/noncontingent.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.