[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: knowledge retention

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0737.png (157KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0737.png
157KB, 640x1136px
Hey how are you STEMfags doing with hanging on to what you've learned?

Because I had a pretty horrible wake up call a few weeks ago, when I tried to describe series to someone, and realized I've almost completely forgotten everything about it. It hasn't even been a year since I've learned it, and it was my favorite topic in calculus- I mean, I was completely engrossed in that class.

Now junior year is right around the corner and I'm wondering how much else I've forgotten (and where it'll bite me in the ass).

How do you handle that /sci/? Constant review?

Pic unrelated
>>
Literally just use Anki
>>
>>9161091
This is literally what happens to all my subjects once a new semester starts. I'm sure if you just looked back at your old notes, all that information should come flooding back. Just get into the right context, I suppose?
>>
>>9161091
happens a lot in biology/chemistry, forgetting basic ass shit when your research is very focused on something that has nothing to do with it. shit gets humbling
>>
File: IMG_4071.png (3MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4071.png
3MB, 1242x2208px
>>9161091
I forgot everything I learned in college as soon as I graduated but I still seem to have retained the important essentials at 30 so you'll probably be fine
>>
I have a pretty high IQ and good memory, so I know basically everything I learned, even from undergrad. Initially I wondered why people bothered to learn when they forgot a year later.

Part of my good ability to remember might be that I am always looking for the bigger picture. With every new information I ask: Why? What problem does this solve? Does this solve new problems? Do I know similar stuff already? I am lazy as fuck so every new think I learn has to be justified.
>>
>>9161693
You sound like an asshole
>>
>>9161091
That's where notes come in. What took you week to understand comes back in minutes. But yeah, every night it is a good thing to review old notes, you will retain more and more as time goes on.
>>
>>9161712
Why is that tho? Being a good learner does not make me a better human in any way. In the interwebs I am blunt and try to only communicate the important facts. In real life, the feelings of others take priority.

Why even mention IQ? Because I figured out that some methods I do are not appliable by everyone. Sadly, I am not very good at diferenciating which method are dependent on my genes and which are not. So I like to give the proper frame.
>>
>>9161730
You just sound like this one autistic girl who wanted to bang and would talk about herself super highly and I guess it triggered me, but I always forget that there's literally no chicks on this page.
>tl:dr
I have autism
>>
>>9161091
Some things I do:
1) Mind maps. Hated them in school, but they are great at forcing you to mentaly organize stuff (otherwise you will get a shitty picture).
2) I once read a quote by a college of Stephen Hawkins that Stephen has to find the easiest explanation for concepts because he has to do everything in his head (i.e. no paper allowed). That is something that I try to do aswell: Break things down until I understand them and then keep and answer things in my mind. (Does not include calculating stuff, we have calculator for that)
3) Keep stuff you learned active as problem solvers. Whenever you encounter a new problem, ask whether something that you learned helps you with that problem. Will calculus help?`Group Theory? That neat drawing technique from the art lecture? I am exagerating, but you get the idea.
>>
>>9161732
Except for the genitalia, you got it pretty much right. Will even become a wizard soon. May you life long and prosper faggot!
>>
>>9161091
Good notes and constant review/rederivation for any proof.
Practice any technique until it's literally as easy as riding a bike, math is not a spectator sport
>>
>>9161091
Spaced Retrieval
>>
>>9161800
support to retrieval practice:
http://learninglab.psych.purdue.edu/downloads/2008_Karpicke_Roediger_Science.pdf
>>
>>9161091
>series was my favorite topic in calculus
in other words you never actually understood series, that's why you forgot it all
>>
File: SchoolMap.png (181KB, 1176x2854px) Image search: [Google]
SchoolMap.png
181KB, 1176x2854px
>>9161737
>Mind Maps

I got up to ODEs and ran out of steam. Good exercise, though. Making me go back over my my texts. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>9162747
Cool! Happy to see it helped you.
Some things I would to differently:
1) I prefer doing mind maps by hand. I feel strongly about this, but can't give you a good reason other than using a program limits the stuff you can draw on the map
2) related: I draw many things between entities in the map, i.e. if some rule is just an generalisation of another rule or small notes like "Only applicable if X"
3) Put the topic in the middle
4) Idealy, if possible, put the entities on the lines itself instead of having them empty. Saves space and feels better
3) I have done big maps before, but on a DIN A4 paper I would put nothin more abstract than "Calculus", maybe even "Integral Calc" as the central topic. If you include the "Why?"s and "How?"s that will generally fill up a DIN A4 paper and will lead to a deep understanding (at least for me). This is because both wholes and to dense areas are ugly.

To sum up: Well done for starters. However you only used the mind map as a form of knowledge representation. This is fine, there are more uses to it, for example for gaining a deeper understand of topics.

Examples: This one is for planning a holiday: https://www.google.de/search?q=tony+buzan+mind+maps&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDw6DOoZ7WAhVCchQKHXS1A0cQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=oOTB9tD100FjpM:

That one is more aimed at understanding: https://www.google.de/search?q=tony+buzan+mind+maps&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDw6DOoZ7WAhVCchQKHXS1A0cQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=0I7YTrADzcx0DM:
Notice how this is enriched by colors and stuff. When craming, this is really usefull for retrieval of knowledge.
>>
>>9162791
Yeah, I was actually getting a little frustrated with the limitations of the program I was using (Freemind). Some classes- linear algebra in particular- aren't suited to the forked path format at all, and oddly that's all Freemind lets you do- no reconverging split paths for some reason.

Will probably do smaller and more detailed ones eventually. The act of making this was a nice broad accounting of Everything Up To Now. Gave me a good sense of where the gaps in my memory are.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.