[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/x/ losesagain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: rsz_voynich_manuscript_0151_1.jpg (232KB, 929x556px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_voynich_manuscript_0151_1.jpg
232KB, 929x556px
"Voynich" manuscript decoded, turns out it is just a folk-medicine bullshit collection folk gynecology.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/the-mysterious-voynich-manuscript-has-finally-been-decoded/

Turns out it was not so much in code, as in an abbreviated "herbalists' Latin" using a lot of standardized abbreviations unique to medical herbalists, and so unrecognized by scholars up to this point.
>>
>>9159998
I could have sworn that back in the early 2000s this was already known simply because of the images being copies of other med stuff.
>>
>>9159998
>After looking at the so-called code for a while, Gibbs realized he was seeing a common form of medieval Latin abbreviations, often used in medical treatises about herbs.

Really? If this truly was "a common form of medieval Latin abbreviations" I would have expected this to be decoded decades ago. This thing was sold by the Vatican, an institution well known for use of medieval Latin. Has this been verified by others?

This reminds me too much of then experts stating cuneiform writing was merely primitive Arabic.
>>
>>9160023
It has not. So far the evidence is one unverified report in a magazine where he describes some similarities of diagrams.
>>
Yeah, clickbait. If it is true that some of it would be copied from latin test, this would be helpfull tho. There is barely any substance tho...

> There were no formal rules about copyright and authorship, and indeed books were extremely rare, so nobody complained.

kek
>>
>>9160069
first big copyright case was about the 1515 edition edition of tacitus' works "by" pope leo X
>>
>>9159998
it's not even mentioned in wikipedia, so you know no one cares about this fake claim
>>
>>9159998

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/experts-are-extremely-dubious-about-the-voynich-solution/
>>
>>9160503
Yeah.

The comments after the first Ars article was painful. What mental problems do these spuds suffer from?

The comments after the latest Ars article is no better. Much can be said about 4chan posters but this thread was miles above Ars.
>>
>>9159998
UPDATE
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/experts-are-extremely-dubious-about-the-voynich-solution/
>>
>>9160667
Gott admit that I (not OP) was very dubious aswell, considering thta I started my personal month of voynich "studies" after I had already read a few manuscripts riddled with ligatures, and the voynich manuscript looks nothing like that.

Actually so far the most promising result that I had when looking at the manuscript was, that (in line with a bbc documentary that scratched the surface of it a bit) the text (of each of the different "languages") can be reduced down to a surprisingly short string from which all words can be deduced as subsets. This implies that there might have been an algorithm that produced the words, such as reading from a wheel with letters through slits or something similar.
>>
How would one go about purchasing this book?
>>
Any Stenography or crypto fag care to explain why deciding this is so hard
>>
The best hypothesis is that the Voynich manuscript is written in some Far Eastern language in an invented alphabet. Europeans often traveled to the mystical land of Cathay to obtain sooper sekrit esoteric knowledge, but because Chinese script is hard as fuck to learn they just invented their own.
>>
>>9161028
>The best hypothesis
How do you know?
>>
>>9160459
yes it is, there's a small paragraph near the end
>>
Can we all pretend to believe it, just to fuck with /x/?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.