[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the science in Computer Science?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: 4545164318461451241.jpg (83KB, 762x300px) Image search: [Google]
4545164318461451241.jpg
83KB, 762x300px
What is the science in Computer Science?
>>
>>9156996
it's a misnomer like jellyfish
>>
>>9157001
Is it because they aren't fish or aren't jelly?
>>
>>9157011
I think its because you could become some random Computer Technician though your community college and your degree would say "computer science"
>>
Computer science is a formal science, like mathematics, rather than an empirical science like chemistry, biology, etc.
>>
>>9156996
cdr(computer science)
>>
>>9156996
Computer science is learning the language that is used, and solving the problems that accures in software.
By having this skills you can make more efficient software.
Because science is in depth knowledge, computer science is science.
And problem solving has algorithms.
>>
>>9156996
"science" just means a body of knowledge. These days it is also used to indicate the scientific method and all bodies of knowledge that use the scientific method.
>>
>>9156996
if comp sci isnt sci, then neither is math, then physics etc is based on some unscientific shit hey
>>
>>9157937
>It's not based on science therefore it's wrong
Empiricists never fail to amuse me.
>>
>>9156996
The actual thing that should be called computer science would more accurately be called computational mathematics.
>>
>>9157937
>then neither is math
yeah, there is a reason this board is defined as
"/sci/ - Science & Math"
>>
>>9156996
Underlying nature of computational machinery in the universe, and any associated algorithms. Algorithms for a given task are usually sufficiently general to apply cleanly to any computational system... I wonder why that is? Perhaps because computer science unravels, dare I say it, laws? Roughly speaking of course.

Whether you're a human or a computer, completing a task requires the means to do so. You find that the underlying functional means is usually very similar. But with certainty, finite.
>>
>>9157656
(cdr '(computer science))
>>
>>9157658
>Computer science is learning the language that is used, and solving the problems that accures in software
that's not computer science faggot, that's software engineering, CS is math
>>
Unless you're doing ground-breaking high-level shit like trying to prove the P vs. NP problem, or super low-level shit like OSdev / working with engineers to try and develop an optimal shader for their new GPU, CS is a brainlet field.
>>
>>9158918
>CS is a brainlet field
This is spouted all the time on /sci/ but nobody ever explains why they believe it. Because of this, you can't have discussions about computer science here without undergraduates REEEEing about "muh brainlets."
>>
>>9158945
Yeah I wish it wasn't meme'd as hard. You do have to be able to visualize abstract concepts well, and think about things before implementing them.

I feel like the advent of high-level languages and the exponential advances in RAM size and CPU speed has made people retarded and spew "Hurr the compiler will just like optimize that" and "Processors are like so fast now it doesn't even matter." That's kinda why I think embedded and real-time systems programming is cool, because the limited resources you have means you actually have to think about what you're doing.
>>
>>9158965
>embedded and real-time systems
compE here.

CSfags cannot into embedded systems

the problem with CS is that
1. there is so much variability between schools
2. lots of CS shit isn't even really CS. Take a look at "human computer interaction". that should be taught in sociology departments
3. they cannot into hardware
4. plenty of CS degrees are BAs, not BSs, so they have watered down gen eds
5. most CSfags just want to do web dev, iphone apps, make guis and other bullshit where they are basically glorified tradesmen
>>
>>9159013
Is it easy to go from SoftE (mostly C, numerical analysis and regular language theory) to CompE?
>>
>>9159013
>CSfags cannot into embedded systems
>1. there is so much variability between schools
You are contradicting yourself there.
>>
>>9159066
you could do it with like 5 extra classes

>>9159067
most of them don't into embedded systems and if they do it's just how to program them, not how to design them
>>
>>9159013
what does anything you've listed got to do with cs as a field though
>>
>>9159097
>5 extra classes
Namely?
>>
>>9159105
i feel like it's self explanatory

>>9159106
something like this

digital logic/digital design
microprocessors
digital integrated circuits / VLSI
embedded systems
computer architecture

but really you should go for masters at a decent compE school if you want a real compE job
>>
>>9157598
Don't call Mathematics science no matter what qualifiers you preprend to it. Mathematics predates science. It doesn't follow scientific principals. It's not science in any way. It's like calling Plato Christian just because his concepts lent themselves well to Christian epistemology.
>>
>>9159110
you've just described different programs and students. that's not talking about cs as a field

unless you're just here to rant about how much brainlets cs students are, in which more power to you
>>
File: 1466001276489.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1466001276489.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>9156996
Wow no one posted this yet.
>>
>>9158918
>CS is a brainlet field
Why do people think this? If it was really that ez we would have had computers and algorithms for them long ago.
>>
>>9159187
People think this because there are a lot of shitty low-end programming trade schools that call themselves "computer science", and they get away with it because there is no real curriculum standardization in the field yet. So a "computer science" degree means fuck all without further qualification. And because we are on 4chan, people somehow interpret that as meaning that the field itself means fuck all.
>>
>>9159187
CS is not about computers

>>9159200
well said
>>
>>9159187
Because over the time was formed a misdirected vision of computer science only to programming and making gayms. What most people can't see is that CS and math overlap on some pretty big areas. Graph theory being one of them, the study of abstractions that make up the whole field of discrete math.

Basically, CS became a "programming course" in the eyes of people.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.