[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Eugenics feasible or is it pseudoscience?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Serious question, is it possible?
>inb4 go back to /pol/
>>
File: 1504709332952.jpg (32KB, 400x382px) Image search: [Google]
1504709332952.jpg
32KB, 400x382px
You must select for the PHENOTYPE.
>>
Look at dogs and look at wolves. That should tell you the extent of what Eugenics is capable of. For all their designer characteristics and all there use to us, a wolf is easily the more generally survivable animal. Genetics is astronomically complicated and if you attempt to select for certain traits, you end up only acting on small numbers of key genes while leaving the larger mass of biodiversity unchanged. You can get longer legs, bigger muscles, and more attentive temperaments but that usually results in joint problems, heart problems, and psychological fixations.

Using such eye-level judgments of "preferable and non-preferable subjects", you can never truly breed a better human, just a more specialized human.
>>
>>9155464
Issues that certain breeds suffer from stems more from abusive breeders than it does from dog breeding in general. Working line dogs that are bred properly are no less healthier than wolves.
>>
>>9155469
Of course you can lessen pronounced physical susceptibility for dogs that are already not too far away from wolves in form
by re-introducing bio-diversity into the system, but (a) for the most part, they still exist- no matter how "well bred" German Shepherds are, they have a tendency towards obsessiveness and often require training- and more to the point (b) all you're doing is breeding them closer to their natural balance while maintaining the docility and aesthetics that were bred into them. And while those are certainly fine accomplishment for pets, I don't think those are the aims of Eugenics. Or maybe they are.
>>
>>9155464
I disagree, I think you just need to find the right combos.
>>
>>9155457
[math]\mathfrak{PHENOTYPE}[/math]
>>
>>9155464
I mean...wolves are going extinct.

I'd say that in the world where humans run things, dogs are definitely more likely to survive.
>>
>>9155926
Which is much more easily said than done,considering how poor our understanding of the genome is at the moment
>>
>>9155469
Heck, even horribly dysgenic monstrosities like pugs used to be reasonably healthy many moons ago before greedy breeders went full retard. "Ancient" dogbreeds like mastiffs or mollosers that are still bred for utility and not aesthetics are as healthy as any wild animal while still being essentially placid good boys:

https://youtu.be/wUurm6fQ750
>>
It is very feasible nowadays. It just has to be soft eugenics over hard eugenics now. Eventually, we'll be able to edit a person's genome to the point that we can control everything about them.

I don't think we'll see Brave New World tier levels of controlled traits soon, but I could see it gradually phased in centuries from now.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.