[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Random questions I was thinking about on my way home.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: img_research8.jpg (70KB, 514x345px) Image search: [Google]
img_research8.jpg
70KB, 514x345px
>If you were theoretically able to have a pole extend from one planet in one solar system to another planet lightyears away in another system and were able to move the pole back and forth one inch, if you sent a message say in morse code, would it be possible to send information faster than light?

>If you were in deep space and were standing on an object able to hold the weight, would you be able to push and move an object the size of a star destroyer using only your own body's power since everything in space is weightless and there is no friction?

>Is it possible to stop and capture light, keeping it completely static? What would be it's nature in said state?
>>
1. No, aside from the fact that the object would simply be impossible to create, the force you make to move the object would not instantaneously move the other end for reasons I am too high to remember

2. No

3. Idk
>>
>>9154971
the pole would move at the speed of sound or someting
>>
>>9154971
3. http://io9.gizmodo.com/scientists-freeze-light-for-an-entire-minute-912634479/921201594
>>
>>9154971
Geologist here, you would be creating a seismic wave within the material of the pole when you hit it. It would move as fast as a pressure wave in the material moves. It would not be possible to send information faster than light, in fact it would be incredibly inefficient

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZaI4MEWdc4
>>
>>9154971
1. No. The act of pushing the rod involves giving kinetic energy to atoms at the end of the rod which transfers energy to atoms further down the rod etc... so you'd still be limited to sub c speeds.

2. If you're in a 0g environment, then weight is meaningless so your question is nonsense. Since f = ma and because of equal and opposite reactions, the force you push away with is the same force you impart. However, since a star weighs like 10^31kg, you have to push really fucking hard to move it any measurable distance.

3. Yes you can. It has the same properties as normal light except that it is stuck in a crystal, or w/e
>>
>>9154971
1)No. Information cannot travel faster than light. When you pull/push the pole, you are telling each molecule to move back/front and communication across a physical medium can occur max at speed of sound. (only an analogy, not actual science)
2)No. F=ma. A star has very huge mass. for any meaningful movement (a!=0) you need to apply freakishly large force. Not possible by you. And even if you could apply such a force, you'd create a pressure so large that the star would blow up.
3) They actually have succeeded in doing so. Some guys at MIT or else were used highly ionized gas sodium ions and were able to trap light for about 3 min.

>freshman physicsfag
>>
>>9154971
>If you were theoretically able to have a pole extend from one planet in one solar system to another planet lightyears away in another system and were able to move the pole back and forth one inch, if you sent a message say in morse code, would it be possible to send information faster than light?
No. A pole, or any other solid object, is not perfectly rigid. Pushing on a pole on one end does not move the other end immediately -- instead, the pole deforms, and a bulge moves through the pole towards the end. This process is quite fast, progressing at the speed of sound in the object (about 6 kilometers per second in a steel pole). Thus, you never notice it under ordinary circumstances. But you DO notice it in very long objects. If I make a steel pole of 12 kilometers, and I push on one end, the other end won't move for two seconds. Of course, the speed of sound in any material is far less than the speed of light, so this can never get you superluminal communication.

>If you were in deep space and were standing on an object able to hold the weight, would you be able to push and move an object the size of a star destroyer using only your own body's power since everything in space is weightless and there is no friction?
No. Things in space don't have weight, but they still have mass; the more mass things have, the move force you need to move it.

Consider a hovercraft on a flat surface. The hovercraft has nearly zero friction with the ground because of the air cushion; and if you try to push it forwards, parallel to the ground, gravity won't impede you. But you STILL need more force to push a heavy hovercraft than a light hovercraft. It is no different in space.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.