[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Globe/Flat Earth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

OfficialFlatEarthAndGlobeDiscussion (Facebook Group) is the most terrible collection of pseudo-scientific nonsense imaginable. Has anyone encountered flat earthers and managed to make them see reason?
>>
>>9154777
I don't think it 's actually possible to make them see reason.
If you actually bring up any legitimate points against their ideas, not even arguing for the globe model but just problems with their understanding of how things like light work, they will invariably end the conversation.
They're so close minded that they latch onto things instead of checking for logical explanations, like a video capturing Venus near the Sun during the eclipse being called the projector for the Sun because it moves with the Sun as the camera moves around.

A thousand years ago they would have just checked their star chart.
>>
I have been dealing with flat earth shittery for quite some time. I wasted time trying to explain things, I put so much effort trying to reason with them, I wrote articles in relative blogs and so on. In the meantime, I would face one of the following two groups:

The first consisted of people who deeply believed that the earth was flat and there was nothing you could do to persuade them otherwise. The thing with that group is that they were not provocative or trying to force their theory on you. They were plain stupid, as I saw them at the time, but at least they weren't making a fuss.

And then there was the other group. Those who had (recently in most cases) read 2 articles in some pseudoscience blog and viewed a few YouTube videos which claimed that the earth was flat and had thus concluded that they had been enlightened and could now see the truth. This group consisted of stubborn people who had the mind of a 5 year old. But not the plain stupid type, no. They were the ones who were feeling superior, much smarter than "the sheep globers", as they would call anyone who "believed" that the earth was almost spherical. If you tried to reason with them, they would either insult you or would send you videos with "scientific proof" of earth's flatness which were as valid as a 10 year old's driving license. Arguing with them was not only exhausting, but also never lead to any result (other from me being banned from the group or something of that sort).

Then one day the following happened. The administrator of the group I had been following for the most time, in which I had to make more than one bot accounts, since I was getting banned a lot, made a statement. He said that he wanted to thank the "globers" for making a fuss about such groups and going into such trouble to explain that the earth was round. Thanks to them, the flat earth movement had gained a lot of attention the past year... (continuing on next post due to long comment)
>>
>>9154888
Most of this attention was negative, due to people like me trying to persuade flatearther's that they are stupid. But a part of it, smaller, yes, but significant none the less, was from people who had no idea about the Flat Earth movement and got the chance to read about it and joined it. Yes. The people that I considered to be more stupid than a rock in Texas had outsmarted me (one of them at least) and managed to use me, my time and my effort.

What's the conclusion of that story? A friendly advise from someone who spent a lot of time trying to explain something fundamentally true to people who deny it. This advise is: stay away. As long as they are not hurting you (unlike fanatic religious terrorists for example), leave these people be and don't try to reason with them. As long as they can't immediately hurt you (except for the headaches of course), they are not worth your time. Don't try to reason.
>>
>>9154777
Flattards are know to not understand physics. Maybe because they payed no attention to it, but seeing how they also fail in communication skills, it looks like they just are not that intelligent.
That is not something to disrespect, but it can be painful seeing people going full retard. A damn shame for humanai.
>>
You don't make them see reason. You ask them to try and make a prediction with their clusterfuck of a model, and that tends to shut them up long enough for you to go away and do something else.
>>
I saw a video where they took the distance from Melbourne harbor to Cape Horn, 9000 miles, and extrapolated the 140 or so degrees being the shortest way around the Earth and came to a conclusion that the Earth should have a circumference of around 24000 miles at that longitude, which is about 8000 miles more than the globe model allows.

Of course, when I checked the distance was 9000 kilometers, not miles, and you can guess how those calculations turned out.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.