[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can you tell if you really know something vs. if you just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: pencil-on-exam-answersheet-462.jpg (33KB, 462x231px) Image search: [Google]
pencil-on-exam-answersheet-462.jpg
33KB, 462x231px
How can you tell if you really know something vs. if you just studied it enough to pass it on a test?
>>
File: 1503021889425.png (70KB, 852x944px) Image search: [Google]
1503021889425.png
70KB, 852x944px
Explain it to someone
>>
>>9153579
This. It's all fine and dandy when you are looking at the definition or the distilled essence of a concept on paper, but if you close the book or turn the paper upside down and you are like "uh...a determinant of a matrix represents... uh ... it's like..." then you know.
>>
>>9153642
determinants represent a fuckton of things so just pick and choose one
>>
Take a blank piece of paper and write down everything you know about X (X can be whatever you want it to be, broad or specific) without looking anything up. Go into as much detail as possible. Describe X in multiple ways. Write down connections you know between it and other things.

Another example is to role-play as a badass professor. You can do this in your head or out loud by yourself. Be confident and fluent. Pretend that your imaginary students are asking you tough questions. If you stumble, you know you have a gap you need to work on.
>>
>>9153531
i always just asked myself questions about it to see if you can answer it
>>
>>9153531
If you can remember what you studied discard second option.
If after a week you already forgot everything you just studied enough for the test.

>have huge math brainlet in classroom
>studies everything by heart
>he pass test in derivative
>onto integral
>again everything by heart
>prof calls him out
>ask question about derivative
>already forgot
>ask to resolve integral
>must look up paper with exercises templates because he doesn't know how to resolve

interestingly enough studying enough to pass a test is a symptom of brainlettsy
>>
>>9154042
literally the reason why us 100+IQ ppl are shit at studying
feelsbadman.jpg
>>
>>9154058
haha, no. I would like if that was true.

We are just lazy faggots, thats whats happening.
>>
>>9153531
Just don't study for tests
>>
>>9153531
>pic related
Haha long boy
>>
When you can use the information you learned as part of the basis for solving some problem in the future.
For example, if someone was taught about the phenomenon of peak summation in gamma spectroscopy, and at some point in their career, they noticed that the analysis results from their spectroscopy software was not indicating the activity of a certain isotope that they were expecting it to, they could quantify the total effects from coincidence summing to correct the analysis results and determine the actual total activity of a source of significantly higher activity than you can normally accommodate with your system's calibrated geometry.
Being able to explain something to someone is good, but if you can't remember all the old tips and tricks and things you've learned when you need them without specifically being asked about them, what good is that knowledge anyway?
>>
Bump for le interest
>>
>>9153531
if you can teach it.
>>
ROSALIND FRANKLIN USED THE HELIX TRANSFORM ( A MATHEMATIC OPERATION) TO FIGURE OUT THE STRUCTURE OF DNA USING X RAY CRYSTALLOGRAPHY

This is direct application of something you learned
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.