[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

animal uplifting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

so, why are we having trouble boosting the intelligence of animals and why on earth would this be an issue concerning ethics?

>What rights would they have?

well, if we were to give them the ability to speak and if they could then understand right from wrong, give them the same rights as humans. it's not that hard
>>
Selective breeding?
>>
>>9153145
but humans had to fight for their rights
>>
>same rights as humans
Like the right to vote? Do you think if elephants could vote, would they vote republican?
>>
>>9153155
why should they though?. we had to fight for our rights because of our perceived differences, while animals have their rights only because we gave them rights.
>>
>>9153145
>why on earth would this be an issue concerning ethics
Imagine giving a goldfish human intelligence. That's like taking away Hawkings nurses and text-to-speech device, leaving him cruising around in his wheelchair for the rest of his life.
>>
>>9153145
We have no idea how to uplift animals. We don't even know what intelligence is.
>>
>>9153161
Not really. Goldfish are happy living as they do, and giving them intelligence wouldn't suddenly make them curse not being able to walk or talk, anyone more than we currently curse not being able to live underwater (without lugging a bunch of expensive shit with us) or not being able to speak in whale song.
>>
>>9153159

I think communistic, matriarchal elephants would be offended by the GOP's use of their image and campaign to have them stop.
>>
>>9153177

We're kinda close, most of the genes have been identified, now we just have to work out how to "seed" them into people, and doing experiments on animals first seems like an obvious step.
>>
>>9153192
>most of the genes have been identified

what about the FOXP2 gene? I've heard conflicting reports on if it's responsible for speech or not.
>>
>>9153192
identifying the genes for intelligence in people won't necessarily mean we can uplift animals by putting the same genes into animals.

the genes might not translate easily to animals. We could have a gene that only works if a number of other human genes are present.

In addition, human level intelligence might require different hardware than the animals we are uplifting have.
>>
>>9153145
they would most certainly try to enslave us like we do them.
>>
>>9153451
this is the kind of thinking that prevents us from making discoveries in this sort of field.
>>
>>9153408
this does propose a barrier in uplifting research, which is why I believe it's important to effectively map out the animal's genetic structure and neurological make up to see how a human intelligence gene would fit in.
>>
>>9153145
>tfw abandoned by our patrons
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.