[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /sci/, what are your thoughts of the effect of a man-made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: FB_IMG_1504541489426.jpg (23KB, 476x472px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1504541489426.jpg
23KB, 476x472px
Hello /sci/, what are your thoughts of the effect of a man-made EMP blast on someone with a cochlear implant such as myself? I've been looking around and there isn't all that much information. I did find someone on a forum, but really no way to corroborate the info, as follows:

"Well, I'll weigh in here. I'm a registered nurse and from my understanding here's some possibilities in the event of an EMP.

The cochlear implant will likely cease to function. Even if you were able to replace the external component the internal component would not be able to be replaced without a surgeon and thus the device would be inoperable. The receiver of a cochlear implant is embedded in the skull behind the ear and works by a principle of magnetic induction. Plus the receiver is a rather intricate computer.

I'm almost 100% sure in the event of an EMP the cochlear implant will cease to function.

Now as to whether it will actually kill or harm you granddaughter when it ceases to function that too is up in the air. From what I understand a part of the cochlear implant is not actually implanted in the brain. However, there is a possibility of an electrical current crossing bone and zapping your daughter in the event of an EMP. Whether this current would be severe enough to cause any damage probably depends on proximity to EMP, the device itself, amount of electrical current used and the age and health of your granddaughter.

Children can be amazingly resilient. It is quite possibly that even is she is shocked during the EMP she may have only slight residual issues due to a part of the brain being damaged or issues that resolve over time.

If something were to happen and you had advance warning to try to anticipate it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to shield her from the potential EMP as much as possible.

Hope this helps!"

What do you all think?
>>
>Children can be amazingly resilient.

How did you find that out OP?
>>
>>9152957
The explosion could make you deaf.
>>
>>9153028
already am, no worries there
>>
>>9152974
>reading comprehension
>>
>>9152957
It's probably going to be fairly EMP resistant. Heck some cochlear implants can even go into MRI machines. Here's specs on them:http://s3.medel.com.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/AW-Checklists/AW113511_10_MRI%20Checklist%20-%20EN%20English%20US.pdf

The electronics used in implants are going to be fairly robust and will probably have to follow some pretty strict electromagnetic interference guidelines.

In addition, small mobile electronics tend to be fairly EMP resistant. The smaller the conductors are, the lower the currents that will be induced. The EMP commission found that mobile radios and mobile computers weren't permanently damaged at very high field strengths and just needed to be turned off and back on:
www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

The EMP caused by a high altitude nuclear blast will probably not be enough to damage it.

Now, if you're worried about terrorist making an EMP bomb, that's pretty unlikely. Because making EMP bombs is complicated. Terrorist can barely get their hands on explosives much less test that their EMP bomb works.

Sure various state actors have EMP weapons, but if you are the target of a state actor, you have bigger problems.
>>
>>9153404
Thank you for this info, it's greatly helpful. I have a Clarion model from the early 2000's so I'll have to see if I can ask that company for more info on the model.
>>
>>9152957
Rotary engine with valves, wtf is this?
Someone hammered that in there?
>>
>>9152957
The external bit might cease to function but the implant should be fine. Really both should be fine unless it was a very strong emp.
>>
>>9154098
ran out of apex seals, had to feed it something
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.