[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you Factor Trinomials with First Numbers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: dog.gif (2MB, 370x319px) Image search: [Google]
dog.gif
2MB, 370x319px
For example 4x2 - 10x + 6

How the heck do you do that? Is this witchcraft or something?
>>
>>9151664
That's meant to say 4x squared
>>
>Factoring Trinomials
I had figured out a method to use Lattice to calculate the multiplication of two polynomials of any size when I was a senior in High School. You are 18+, right? Just use the snowflake method. Or use the Quadratic Equation to pull out a derivative.
>>
>>9151669
I have no idea what any of those words mean. and yes im 18
>>
>>9151677
>I have no idea what any of those words mean.
Well then look them up you fuck
>>
File: QUAD.png (30KB, 2000x617px) Image search: [Google]
QUAD.png
30KB, 2000x617px
/thread
>>
>>9151664
There's a few things. In this case you could factor

2 (2x^2 -5x + 3)

You see that you need a -1 and -3

From here you see that -2 + -3 = -5
So it has to factor as
2 (2x - 3)(x - 1)

You can't always factor this way but basically you have to factor the x^2 term and factor the x^0 term and see what combination gives you the x^1 term.
>>
>>9151664
I love you.
>>
>>9151689
That doesn't solve shit

>>9151690
>>9151702
I'm just as lost, thanks for the help but i probably am dropping this course.
>>
>>9151707
what the hell do you think it's for?
>>
>>9151711
It doesn't solve the question i origionally posted so i have no idea. I'm not solving for x im factoring.
>>
>>9151716
solve for x and then rearrange so it equals 0.
Say it gives you x=y and x=z, make both of those equal to 0, so x-y and x-z and then multiply so:
(x-y)(x-z).
Are you retarded?
>>
>>9151718
I literally don't understand what you are talking about. I know it's suppose to end up as something like (4x + 2) (x + 3) or something like that.
>>
>>9151711
You know how to factor
(x^2 +bx + c) where b and c are integers yea?

You need two numbers that multiply to c and add to b.

It's literally exactly the same when the x^2 term has a coefficient other than 1.

In your case, you need two numbers that multiply to 6.

Your choices are 1 and 6 or 2 and 3
Since the x term is negative, your choices have to both be negative, or the x^2 coefficient has to be negative. Since the x^2 term is 4, this means that it has to be
-1 and -6 or -2 and -3.

Next, since the x term is 4, it has to be 1 and 4 or 2 and 2.

If it's 2 and 2 then you have
2×1 + 2×6 = 14
2x2 + 2x3 = 10

So 2 and 2 fits what we want.
(2x -2)(2x-3)

This whole thing can be done in your head once you do it enough but is difficult if you have non real roots. In which case you use>>9151689
>>
>>9151728
Thanks, i understand it now.
>>
>>9151731
I would have caught you had my friend not :)

Remember that always.
>>
>>9151742
Yep. i will
>>
File: SunD.gif (4KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
SunD.gif
4KB, 200x200px
>>9151728
>Your choices are 1 and 6 or 2 and 3
That's assuming that all coefficients are integers.

What you do is factor out a, which gives:
>a[x^2 + (b/a)x + (c/a)]

You apply the quadratic formula to find the factors of what's on the inside, then you re-multiply everything by a.

Remember not to distribute the entirety of a across both factors. The expression a(x+N)(x+M) is NOT the same as (ax+aN)(ax+aM). It is the same as (ax+aN)(x+M), and if the numbers u and v multiply to equal a, it is also the same as (uv+uN)(vx+vN).
>>
>>9151762
I don't have to assume. All coefficients were integers in this case.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.