[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why and how are pi and nested square roots of 2 related? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: index.png (4KB, 432x107px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
4KB, 432x107px
Why and how are pi and nested square roots of 2 related? How to derive Vieta's formula from this for example, or vice versa?
Please give insight.
>>
I think both stem from iterating sin- and cos- relations to each other.
>>
>>9151174
the last squareroot is unclear to me. it says sqrt(2 + ... + sqrt(2)). what happens at the "..."?
>>
Pi is the arc length of the curve y = sqrt(x^2 + 1), so you take an arc length integral to get this interesting thing as an intermediate step if you work the integral in a certain verbose way.
>>
>>9151209
I understant it as :
[math] \pi = \lim 2^k \cdot U_k [/math]
Where [math] U_1 = \sqrt 2 \\ U_{n+1} = \sqrt {U_n + 2} [/math]
>>
Actually, there's yet another relation between them.

The cosine of pi/(2^k) can be expressed with sqrt 2s and you can sum them up to build the area of a quarter circle from the inside with triangles.
>>
>>9151339
edit: you can sum their reciprogs up
>>
Can someone provide a step by step (at least 5 steps) guide on how to calculate the hypotenuses gotten from dividing the circle into 2^n parts and connecting the dots?
I can't calculate past the third? step which yields sqrt(2-sqrt(2))
I'm so retarded
>>
>>9151570
And this only because I know sin(pi/4) yields sqrt(2)/2.
How should I "know" that sin(pi/8) is sqrt(2-sqrt(2))/2 and so forth?
>>
>>9151339
>and you can sum them up to build the area of a quarter circle from the inside with triangles
Is it beneficial to calculate the areas of the triangles when their hypotenuses will yield pi already, with the 2^n multiplier.
>>
Just what is it with these circles and square roots of two? It's so pretty.
>>
>>9151238
Oh, didn't notice this post. Would you have the time to work out the integral in a certain verbose way? Or someone else? This is fundamental and interesting after all.
>>
>>9151300
Doesn't that actually lead to 2^(k+1)
>>
Note, sqrt(2+sqrt(2+sqrt(2+...)))=2.
>>
/sci/ why aren't you more interested, these are really interesting limits for pi.
Please be more interested and do that wonky arc length integral in a verbose way for the fun of it. And explain how it leads to the result in OP image.
>>
http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/sines-cosines-infinitely-nested-radicals-8199.html

Very thorough post. Interesting stuff.
>>
Wtf are you mathfags even saying
>>
>>9151576
You start with the double-angle formula.

[eqn] \sin(2x) = 2 \sin(x) \cos(x) \\
\sin^2(2x) = 4 \sin^2(x) (1 - \sin^2(x)) \\
4 \sin^4(x) - 4 \sin^2(x) + \sin^2(2x) = 0 \\
\sin^2(x) = \frac{1}{2} \left(1 - \sqrt{1 - \sin^2(2x)} \right)
[/eqn]
If you let x=pi/8 you get
[eqn] \sin^2(\frac{\pi}{8}) = \frac{1}{2} \left(1 - \sqrt{1 - \sin^2(\frac{\pi}{4})}\right)
= \frac{1}{2} \left(1 - \sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{2}}\right) \\
= \frac{1}{4} \left( 2 - \sqrt{2} \right) [/eqn]

Now you can plug in x = pi/16 to find sin(pi/16) and so on.
>>
>>9151300
There is a minus there somewhere.
>>
As long as you can establish that:
[eqn]\sin{\frac{\pi}{2^{k+1}}}=\frac{1}{2}\underbrace{\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\cdots\sqrt{2}}}}}}}_{k\text{ square roots}}[/eqn]
(As demonstrated in >>9151911)
Then the result follows from the fact that:
[eqn]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}{\frac{\sin{x}}{x}}=1[/eqn]
>>
>>9152234
Check out an analysis book newfriend.
>>
>>9152247
I came up with a way to do that with just complex numbers
>>
ITT:brainlets
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.