[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /sci/ take notes when reading a textbook?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: cornell notes.jpg (63KB, 736x952px) Image search: [Google]
cornell notes.jpg
63KB, 736x952px
How does /sci/ take notes when reading a textbook?
>>
>taking notes

desu you should spent this time actually solving problems
>>
>>9149499
>taking notes
>with a book
Defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
>>
>>9150163
>>9149505
t. brainlets with books which explicitly proves everything and assumes the reader is a retard

If you're reading anything worth reading and don't have photographical memory then organized note taking is needed to work out the quirks of any math related book.

To answer the question OP. I usually just use a small left vertical section for headers of sections/theorems and the remaning page would be my notes. Then when I need to search for something I just read the left of the page.
>>
>>9150163
>>9149505

what if you're a medic dickheads.
>>
>>9149499
I just kinda write shit and circle/draw lines to imply categorical grouping.
>>
>>9149499
Depends on what I'm reading. I have absurdly bad memory in regards to retrieving factual information, but I have good spatial memory. So, for topics like math, I don't normally take too many notes, except for equations or definitions, as I generally remember my abstraction of how to do the math, and of course should I forget, I always have the textbook on hand, but I have yet to have that happen.

With pure information, I'll record my notes as questions with answers, and then quiz myself, and depending on how I do, I'll re-read the chapter. I've also found spaced-repetition software to be useful in this regard.
>>
>>9150975
This, reading through someone else's maths and following the steps is not the same as doing it yourself, I smashed my last exam period by basically rewriting a PDF that had all the content myself, I went through it once writing down everything so I had my own handwritten copy, then I had loads of time left to practise questions occasionally referring to my handwritten copy if there was something I couldn't remember the details for
>>
>>9149499
I think the best note-taking system for books would be something that works with the "Feynman method", i.e. explaining concepts to yourself as if you were a teaching it to someone, for better understanding. So instead of writing down the theorem/definition/proof itself, you would just write down its name or what you want to prove, and you'd recall it when you study from your notes. I guess you could have theorems and definitions in black over a black background, so that you can select the text to make it visible, in case you don't yet remember the whole thing, assuming you take your notes on a computer.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.