[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Creating currents

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: convection.gif (17KB, 300x286px) Image search: [Google]
convection.gif
17KB, 300x286px
How does one amplify the velocity of a water convection cell on a very small scale (e.g. in a cooking pot or glass jar) to reach a velocity of ca.10 km/h?
It's going to be part of a greater experiment

http://www.physicsfield.com/index.php/projects/thermal-physics/heat/10-convection-in-water
>>
>>9148110
>>9148110
More heat on bottom, cool faster on top.
>>
File: Couch dog.jpg (28KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
Couch dog.jpg
28KB, 680x510px
Exactly my thoughts anon, but how to achieve that, is another question
>>
>>9149353
Heat sinks.
>>
I meant cooling it down at the top much faster than usual as to allow a higher velocity
>>
>>9149372
Better heat conductor for the bottom of the container, poor heat conductor on the sides, blow cold air over the top.
>>
Liquid nitrogen
>>
>>9148110
more burners
>>
But why?..

You could try running some glass tubing through a hot water bath, add some salt to the water in the loop, that will make sure the working fluid doesn't start boiling and explode all over you. The cooling portion could be a distillation column with ice water running through it, although all the swirly loops in the column will have a big impact on the flow though it. You also want to have the sections between the hot and cold sides insulated, and with a large elevation difference to increase the thermal driving head.

Maybe throw in some light flakes of plastic with neutral buoyancy so you can meter the flow rate with a yard stick.

Good luck with whatever the fuck you are planning.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.