[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NASA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1237px-NASA_logo.svg[1].png (114KB, 1237x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1237px-NASA_logo.svg[1].png
114KB, 1237x1024px
should they do earth studies for the purpose of only understanding the earth, like climate change; or should they only make cool shit that flies and study outer space objects?
>>
>>9146155
NASA has funded a few of my research projects, so I am familiar with the funding philosophy.
NASA should fund both of the areas you mentioned and a few more.
They already cover terrestrial studies for climate change, they already design spacecraft, and they already explore space.
In addition, they also fund terrestrial projects that support space exploration missions and science education. An example of the first case is a project that seeks out rocks similar to those on Mars so engineers can test the Mars 2020 rover before they shoot it off. Any number of projects fit under the second case, but in the long run, they want to keep future generations interested in science and engineering.
>>
>>9146181
the USA has NOAA and other agencies that can do the earth only studies.
>>
>>9146199
Which would be fine if the funding was transferred (plus additional overheads) but that's not what is being considered here. NOAA just took a big hit and it's probably going to get worse. This whole "focusing on space" nonsense has nothing to do with exploration, it has everything to do with Republicans defunding climate change research.

Swapping everything over makes literally zero sense, NASA is already the subcontractor for NOAA's space activities. It would just be rearranging the furniture. It's almost as if there is a hidden agenda.
>>
>>9146155
If you want to understand processes on other planets (which seems all space-related an' shit) then a good place to start gaining expertise is by understanding processes on the planet you can study most easily and extensively.

That said, with NASA being a government agency, it is of course going to follow the agenda of the current government. This should have been no surprise under Obama, when he tried to move them into Muslim-embracing and climate change issues that would support what he was trying to do. Similarly, it should come as no surprise to >>9146241 when, after a change in government, what priorities NASA is asked to focus on shift to match the priorities of the new administration.

Elections have consequences.
>>
>>9146308
>Being elected means you can make retarded decisions and not be criticised.
Please leave.
>>>/pol/
>>
>>9146155
>should they do earth studies for the purpose of only understanding the earth, like (((climate change)))
>>
>>9146155
there should be a separate organization to study the earth but nasa gets little funding as it is and the current administration isn't too interested in understanding the earth beyond its exploitable resources.
>>
>>9146155
why not both?
>>
>>9146431
Where did I say you can't criticize? Criticize your ass off.

I just said you should not be surprised that each new administration brings new priorities, which will normally be reflected in government.

Whether you think this or that administration is making stupid decisions is not relevant: they are each going to make new decisions, and try to carry them out.

Elections do in fact have consequences, as President Obama pointed out. You don't have to like it,but it would be strange to be surprised by it.
>>
>>9146898
>I just said you should not be surprised that each new administration brings new priorities
Nobody is surprised, don't act like that is the point.

>Whether you think this or that administration is making stupid decisions is not relevant
It is literally the point of this thread, you moron.
>>
>>9146155

Option 2 because Earth is an outer space object you faggot.
>>
>>9147054
It is certainly the point of your posts.
>>
>>9147196
No it wasn't, don't pretend to be any more retarded than you actually are.
>>
>>9146155
Why not both?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.