[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you be good at math but bad at tests?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1480525355082.png (35KB, 365x367px) Image search: [Google]
1480525355082.png
35KB, 365x367px
First off I'm not talking about the "smart but lazy" meme, I do attend and everything.
I'm actually good at understanding, visualizing, finding general properties and proving them, but whenever there's a test with long, drawn out questions I fail miserably (well, I don't fail but I barely pass).
It's not just in my head either, profs have noticed this and they always ask me what happened when I get poor grades. The truth is I don't know. I can explain stuff to others, and evidently I "see" it better than most (I have no reason to lie on the internet) but whenever I'm faced with a test with a specific function/series/sequence I'm stumped.
Should I just work more and focus on solving specific types of exercises? Anyone know that feel?
>>
Sounds like you don't do enough exercises.

You 'get' it quickly but you don't sit down and do math enough.

Very common problem among math grad students

t. 2nd year phd
>>
>>9145897
Yeah but I'm asking because I don't actually feel like working will help me at all.
Granted I don't work much (if ever) outside of uni but I don't think that's the problem.
It's like I lack the ability to apply what I know to be true.
Is this what the HIGH VERBAL and LOW PERFORMANCE meme feels like? Or just brainletism?
>>
but I guess it won't hurt to try
>>
>>9145904

I "know" I could program, I took lots of computability, all the algorithms come naturally to me

But I can't just sit down and do it because I have no practice.

Try harder textbooks if you like
>>
>>9145897
this
I failed my physics studies because of this
also, there were some classes where finding exercises to do was pretty much impossible. 100% lectures and 0% training exercises. I have no fucking idea how some people even got above a C. This shit is so unfair.
>>
>>9145895
Have you considered the possibility of adhd? A common symptom is the inability to "summon" knowledge when you need it.
>>
>>9145922
yeah I have but I don't even know if we have memederall in my country.
plus I think adhd itself is kind of a meme invented by moms who won't admit their millenial kid isn't special.
but it's definitely a possibility, I'm a screen addicted millenial myself.
>>
>>9145915
I mean you can always find those on the internet, how ridiculously specific can a physic class get?
>>
typical numale adhd retard symptom.
>>
>>9145904
>Granted I don't work much (if ever) outside of uni
This, and not this
>>9145922
>Have you considered the possibility of adhd?

is your problem
>>
same problem here.
I get the stuff, but when I have to do it in exam conditions or the questions are slightly different than the practice ones its like I forgot everything.

I noticed (and other people too) that I go too quickly when I study and that I sometimes trick myself in really knowing what i learn when infact there are some gaps in the concepts or properties.

How do you fix this ?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.