[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sad stories of science/education/math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: NalandaUniversity.jpg (60KB, 638x300px) Image search: [Google]
NalandaUniversity.jpg
60KB, 638x300px
The oldest university on earth (Nalanda University in India had had 10,000 students, 2,000 staff, and people from all over the Eastern/some western world. (Created around year 500 I believe)

It was burned down in 1193 by the Turks because the library didn't have a copy of the Quoran/Koran. It was reestablished 800 years later.

https://www.nalandauniv.edu.in/about-nalanda/history-and-revival/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/oldest-university-on-earth-is-reborn-after-800-years-2042518.html#gallery
>>
Something similar happened to the Muslims though. I believe the Library of Alexandria was burned down by the Christians too. If it wasn't burned down, we could've been on the moon way earlier.
>>
>>9143106
>Implying all those commentaries on the Iliad would make good rocket fuel
>>
This one time back in the day, religion made scientific progress halt for hundreds of years lmao by like killing people n stuff
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Baghdad_(1258)
>The Grand Library of Baghdad, containing countless precious historical documents and books on subjects ranging from medicine to astronomy, was destroyed. Survivors said that the waters of the Tigris ran black with ink from the enormous quantities of books flung into the river and red from the blood of the scientists and philosophers killed
>The Mongols looted and then destroyed mosques, palaces, libraries, and hospitals. Grand buildings that had been the work of generations were burned to the ground.
>>
>>9143415
>Mongols
>>
>>9143106
Holy shit you're fucking retarded
>>
>>9143418
Think about where we would've been if science wasn't halted for about a millenia.
>>
>>9143106
>>9143420
>halted for about a millenia
This is post-ironic posting shitposting, right? Even normalfags aren't this retarded anymore.
>>
>>9143415
Anything that only had one copy in one place probably wasn't that important. I think people romanticise these things a little too much. It's the same with the library of Alexandria. Most historians don't actually believe there was much in the way if crucial scientific knowledge lost. In fact, most of the books were just shit that was being archived for the sake of archival.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.