[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gravitons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 20170821_143821.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170821_143821.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>Unambiguous detection of individual gravitons, though not prohibited by any fundamental law, is impossible with any physically reasonable detector.[18] The reason is the extremely low cross section for the interaction of gravitons with matter. For example, a detector with the mass of Jupiter and 100% efficiency, placed in close orbit around a neutron star, would only be expected to observe one graviton every 10 years, even under the most favorable conditions.

What?
If the graviton really is the carrier of the gravitational force, than any body experiencing gravity must be expressible in terms of that body interacting with gravitons. If the detector is in orbit, then it must be experiencing the neutron star's gravity, therefore it must be interacting with its gravitons, and substantially. In contrast, it barely interacts with neutrinos at all. Yet it only detects one graviton in ten years? Is this saying that a single, discrete graviton carries a tremendous "amount" of graviry?

Eclipse photo mostly unrelated.
>>
>>9140588
Isn't there something similar with neutrinos. Something like a single neutrino could pass through a block of 1 ly long with only 50% chance of intetaction?
>>
>>9140639
a block of *lead* 1 ly long
>>
I though gravity was not a force, but a bending of space-time.
What are gravitons supposed to interact with ?
>>
Gravity is a field. Always has been, always will be. Scientists will never find the graviton. You can't break gravity down into quanta.
>>
>>9140588
how would gravitons and general relativity, which describes gravity as a position dependend metric, work together?
>>
>>9140723
>Gravity is a field
so is the electric field
>>
>>9140673
protip : gravitons are a meme and don't actually exist.
>>
>>9140723
Gravity is undetectable, like space/time itself.
>>
>>9140639
Yes, but at least an absurd number of neutrinos streams through a square kilometer on Earth every second. How the hell do gravitons even work if they're apparently so rare?
>>
>>9140588
>>9140972
Don't think of gravitons as the force-carriers of gravity. Gravity is a field, and gravitons, if they exist, are just perturbations in the field. Even under a relatively strong gravitational field, i.e. a neutron star, those perturbations are still not very common and not very energetic. It's just like how it took us forever to detect a Higgs boson, even though we were pretty damn sure the Higgs field was an actual thing.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.