[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If hurricane Harvey dumped it's water on San Antonio instead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Alamo-Mission-in-San-Antonio.jpg (102KB, 1068x715px) Image search: [Google]
Alamo-Mission-in-San-Antonio.jpg
102KB, 1068x715px
If hurricane Harvey dumped it's water on San Antonio instead of Houston
Would it have been less damage?
>>
>>9140537
Alamo's basement would have flooded.
>>
San Antonio here, first of all, we got ripped off, about half or less of the rain than we expected. The big rain stopped just short of us.

The main problem with Houston is that it is FLAT. It is at low elevation, along the coast, with a clay layer a few feet down to help ensure bad drainage. The only bad thing it doesn't have is sub-sea-level areas like New Orleans did. So the drainage is horrible. Areas that aren't flat get filled quickly.

It also has upstream stuff that got rained on. San Antonio doesn't really have any upstream to worry about because of the Hill Country to the north. Rain there drains into the underground aquifer that is the main freshwater source for SA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karst

Back in the '90s there was a storm that stalled over nearby New Braunfels for 24 hours (less than Allison and Harvey), and it was bad, but it was bad mostly along the Guadalupe River. Sure, San Antonio has low spots just like you can expect from any city, but it actually has some sort of drainage. It's also a lot farther from the coast, so a storm can't essentially pipe water in from the gulf like it can to coastal areas like Houston.
>>
>>9140976
dubs and I go swimming in a lighting storm in the thunder capitol of the world
>>
>>9140976
im from houston, the real reason houston happened is because they paved over wetlands and just kept expanding without building proper draining systems. And they are still expanding. This shit will just happen again, and it does every year with flash floods, this is just a flash flood that lasted a pretty long time. But if this shit happened before all the development, it could have handled it fine. It's just a giant concrete basin now
>>
>>9140994
>He doesn't go outside durring tropical storms and shit

I CAN FLY NIGGA
>>
>>9140994
Of course if it happened before all the development, there wouldn't be development to get flooded.

San Antonio just has a lot less ways that it can be affected by flooding. Also, the San Antonio River downtown has a big underground bypass tunnel to handle the extra water from floods.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.