[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is all alternative medicine BS? Is there any truth to claims

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5865.jpg (92KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5865.jpg
92KB, 1600x1066px
Is all alternative medicine BS? Is there any truth to claims about the effectiveness of homeopathy and the like not accounting for the nocebo/placebo effect?
>>
If it worked, it would just be called medicine.
>>
>>9139549
No, things like herbs are real and have significant scientific backing behind their efficacy.
>>
>>9139549

ALTERNATIVE medicine
>>
>>9139549
The needles could affect nerve electric signals, but I doubt it works.
>>
>>9139549
Alternative medicine that actually works quickly becomes mainstream medicine
>>
>>9139606
hello r.eddit
>>
>>9139734
Why do you bother posting when you know nothing about the subject? Fuckwit. The meridian system in acupuncture relates to a system of microtubules in the fascia, containing a fluid similar to but not identical to lymph. Nobody knows quite why it works, but there is a clear physical correlation between the meridian 'map' and the microtubule system. Google is your friend.
>>
>>9141114
Is that why acupuncture studies show no improvement over a sham treatment where they just tap the back randomly with metal rods?
>>
>>9139792
Not true. I have very slight asthma which bothers me if I get a cold in winter. I take a herbal remedy which contains Lobelia, a smooth muscle relaxant. I can't go to my GP and ask for a Lobelia prescription.
>>
>>9141127
Maybe having your back tapped randomly with metal rods is really nice. Fuck off, this kind of study is usually shot through with methodological flaws. There's an enormous amount of research showing the efficacy of acupuncture, and a tradition going back centuries if not millenia. You just sound like a cunt.
>>
>>9141127
>>9141136
The only studies that show it work are funded by teh Chinese government and the researches know for a fact they will get fired from their job if they do anything that questions the glorious superior Chinese science of acupuncture
>>
>>9141136
Yes I'm certain scientists trying to find out how to better treat patients have more of a bias then people trying to cling to an unscientific discipline. Secret microtubule fluid that only the Chinese can find? Come on son
>>
>>9141127
Have you ever had acupuncture?

I only did it once, and it didn't improve anything I had in mind. But it certainly did something, profound and noticeable.

Rephrased, stop mindlessly running your mouth you degenerate trash.
>>
>>9139549
Acupuncture cured me of my psoriasis and of my acne, how exactly it did it idk.
>>
>>9141145
>My placebo trumps sham controlled research
Why does /sci/ even exist
>>
>>9139549
It's a fustercluck of bullshit and real shit. There are many herbs that have compounds in them that actually do shit. I don't think most of these are incredibly well studied, and if they were the relevant compounds would simply be extracted or synthesized and sold under a brand name. See aspirin. So there is some legitimacy but why the fuck you would go to a person that probably won't help over someone that probably will help (an actual doctor) is beyond me.
>>
File: 1502634102216.jpg (66KB, 722x349px) Image search: [Google]
1502634102216.jpg
66KB, 722x349px
>>9141153
idk anecdotes are apparently god for most people on /sci/ is it too much to ask to have one fucking place in the entire world where you can go and have reasonable, supported, intellectual conversation?
>>
>>9141128
are you trolling? this proves nothing its overwhelmingly likely you benefit from placebo effect
>>
>>9139606
fpbp

>>9139840
What's up /pol/.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.