[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math ability is genetic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 25

File: image.jpg (16KB, 104x125px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 104x125px
http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms5204

>tfw you will NEVER be good at math because you lack the genes to understand math
>>
literally everything is genetic. Genetic Determinism is reality. Once you accept it the world makes a ton of more sense as well, aka Africa/South America/India/China etc all become predictable.
>>
File: witten.jpg (17KB, 224x315px) Image search: [Google]
witten.jpg
17KB, 224x315px
If you're a women you're in luck. All you have to do is select for a curious, peculiar, perhaps some would even call odd PHENOTYPE.
>>
File: ncomms5204-f1.jpg (75KB, 926x1286px) Image search: [Google]
ncomms5204-f1.jpg
75KB, 926x1286px
The walls of liberal ideology are crumbling down.
>>
>>9138183
what you said is equivalent to "it is what it is". try making a point.
>>
>>9138193
You made it for me.

It is what it is. I'm not trying to prove something imaginary. I'm not reaching for complicated nonsensical excuses like the opponents of my ideology.

see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism

Genetic Determinism is fact and truth. I don't have to make a point. It's just reality. You see the people opposing reality are the ones who make the complex reaching points with nonsensical reasoning.

I just have to point to statistics and results.
>>
>>9138192
>>9138194
Damn you dumb fucks didnt even read the damn thing:

"As discussed elsewhere, the difference between the twin and population-level models and their underlying assumptions complicates direct comparison of estimated parameters (see Methods). For example, unlike the twin model the population-level approach assumes that all environmental influences are independent among individuals. If there are geographically structured determinates of ability (for example, quality of teaching) that correlate with the genetic differences, then this can inflate population-based estimates of heritability."
>>
>>9138183
Nah.

Some Gattaca tier bullshit thinking. Your life is exactly what you make of it. Fuck off.

t. Doctoral student in Mathematics who grew up in immense poverty where my mom/dad did nothing exceptional academically or otherwise.

My family history isn't filled with exceptional geniuses, either. There's diligence, opportunity and some smarts. For those without the latter, diligence and opportunity.

Fuck off. People like you rank among the worst in existence. I despise people like you.
>>
>>9138183
Actually Incas were superior to europeans.
>>
>>9138351
>t. Doctoral student in Mathematics who grew up in immense poverty where my mom/dad did nothing exceptional academically or otherwise.

Thats only because of affirmative action and quotas set up to give poorer students an extra advantage.

I guarantee you that you won't be where you are now otherwise.
>>
>>9138336
math capability is still entirely genetic
>>
>>9138351
Congrats on winning the genetic lottery. Ugly families have good looking kids sometimes. You got lucky, congrats on the genetics.
>>
>>9138570
retard alert
>>
>>9138351
depression and lack of motivation is also genetic
>>
>>9138739
All behavior is genetic in origin. It's amazing how scared people are of determinism that they make up shit.
>>
>>9138366
los incas ya viajaban el espacio
>>
>>9138183
India is literally full of math geniouses in their history
>>
>>9139065
What was your point? The person you are responding to, me, already believes India has a high IQ subgroup within the population. The average IQ over all of India is shit though.
>>
File: 5434667.jpg (58KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
5434667.jpg
58KB, 1000x1000px
>>9138177
OBEY
>>
>>9138570
Hello. Back from teaching.

Fuck off and die in a fire. The sooner, the better. Also, I was on an academic scholarship throughout my four years of undergrad.

You're such a fucking retard, it's incredible.

>>9138732
Excuses. I can pretty much guarantee that your lack of success is due to your inherent laziness and lack of drive. Your failures are a result of your own choices unless there are extenuating circumstances (e.g., severe retardation/mental handicap/intense poverty).

>>9138739
I'm not disputing that. But I'm also stating that you can actually fight against your 'muh depreshun' and 'muh motivashun.'

You know what's pretty fucking pathetic and hilarious? You people always blame your lack of IQ or whatever genetics you may have for your failures, but what is really the truth is that you're all failures because of the choices you've made. That's the most painful reality of all. You refuse to acknowledge this, however. Quite possibly because it's unbelievably painful.
>>
>>9138366
*eurangutans
>>
>>9139250
>inherent laziness
Laziness is determined by genetics, check your privilege.
>>
>>9139263
Then, train your fucking will to overcome it. It's not that deep.

I know you're just joking, but how do some people actually survive in life with this defeatist attitude?

>Damn dude, my family's always been skinny, so I guess I can't put on any muscle and I'll always be skinnyfat.

Like, what the fuck. How do people just relegate themselves to mediocrity based off of dumb shit like 'muh genetiks.'
>>
>>9138351
You didn't disprove anything with this statement.
>>
Continue being a loser and listening to /sci/, then. Not my problem.

Don't forget: Your genetics continuously hold you back, so you can't achieve anything. :^)
>>
>>9138764
Was the invention of the tv a genetic act?
>>
>>9139263
Are you saying you cant change laziness, depression or motivation?
>>
File: smoke weed.jpg (10KB, 243x207px) Image search: [Google]
smoke weed.jpg
10KB, 243x207px
>>9138177
Big whoop, all of our abilities are genetic to an extent. The rest of it that isn't genetics is up to the portion of your behavior that isn't influenced by genetics. The difference between you and a dandelion is just genetics.
>>
>>9139297
No a magical intervention that physics can't explain led to it. We have huge amounts of evidence that our decisions have nothing to do with reality or biology. Instead a 3 year old dying of luekemia chose it by free will.

Ever do the mental experiment of believing free will doesn't exist for a day? How different does it feel?
>>
>>9138184
Why do you do this
>>
>>9138351
Served up a heaping helping of "muh muh motivation"

/bread
>>
>>9139552
>high IQ high drive/grit engineered human btfos his theories
Can't wait. I guess the dogs that chase after the sticks with the most energy and determination just have wanted it "more" by self-choice.
>>
>>9138728
Wow what a counter argument
>>
Also I would just like to say that accepting these things doesn't change much. You just understand the world more. Unless you have some serious existential crisis type shit it's really not a big deal to experiment with these beliefs. It's not like knowing that a chocolate cake is bad for you will stop you from enjoying the taste. Luckily we are stuck inside the illusions and even knowing things are an illusion doesn't make them disappear.

You won't suddenly kill yourself if you mess around with the ideas of genetics being important.
>>
>>9139297
Yes in the sense that their genetics led to them yearning for a certain feeling which expressed itself through rigorous intellectual development which just so happened to produce the television. Same reason why everyone has their own definition of success/ greatness
>>
File: 736764554.jpg (102KB, 845x403px) Image search: [Google]
736764554.jpg
102KB, 845x403px
>>9138366
mmmm really makes me think
>>
>______ is genetic

Will the masses ever be able to understand simple genetics?
>>
>>9139574
>>9139574
any genetic study on this shit? Interesting.
>>
>>9138192
Just because something is heritable does not imply that differences in phenotype are solely due to differences in heritability, especially when you can't rule out highly complex confounding factors.
>>
>>9139587
Yeah you can. It's genetic.

You can't assume it's not because of your bias. All evidence points to the genetic cause of all of these differences. You are basically imagining your position makes sense because it has a 0.000000001% of chance of being true vs the theory that is 99.999% true.
>>
>>9139589
Even if a trait was 99% genetic, if all humans have almost exactly the same genetic contributes to a trait, then differences would be explained mostly by other factors.

This is probably the case for humans. We have very low genetic diversity and we are very homogeneous. For a trait like intelligence, which probably has thousands of genes that contribute to it, we would have the same genetics for intelligence.

In fact, if different groups had differences genetics for intelligence, it would be really easy to find all the genes for intelligence. Just take the two groups and look for the differences. If that where the case we would have known all the genes for IQ a decade ago. The statistical power of things like GWA type studies is astronomical, and we can barely find a handful.
>>
File: 473153924_182b7a84ab_o.jpg (42KB, 465x473px) Image search: [Google]
473153924_182b7a84ab_o.jpg
42KB, 465x473px
>>9138183
>tfw you could have been successful but you shilled yourself into submission
>>
>>9139572
So youre saying environmental factors had no impact on the invention of tv?
>>
>>9139434
Why do you think i believe in free will like that. I don't. You just jumped the gun.
>>
>>9139587
This is badly said and almost tautologucally redundant.

>>9139609
This seems to be making unnecessary assumptions and atleast one logical error.

>>9139589
This one seems to make the error tin thinking that 50% heritability written in a science paper actually means 100% and that its all "caused by genes".

>>9139420
This one makes the mistake in thinking that 50% heritability equates traits being "50% caused by behaviour, 50% caused by genes". I also infer that they make the mistake in thinking that heritability means unchangeability. There is no necessary relation and even if you argue "height is mostly genetic and it cant be changed". Well thats not due to heritibility but the developmental nature of the phenotype.
>>
>>9139665
2/10 at least you tried
>>
>>9139647
Environmental factors do, but the response to those factors are genetic
>>
>>9139675
>the plebs trying to shit on your dominance
>fails

Kek
>>
>>9138183
Africa is the most genetic diverse peoples, they probably have the smartest and the dumbest
>>
>>9139707
I just dont understand why people are so fatalistic about a trait being heritable considering the degrees of freedom you have in choosing the trajectories through your life. I mean sure, the guy who made the tv might have been smart, had good SES, but he also had lots and lots of sequences of individual choices and experiences. Yes, obviously these choices are going to be biased by his personality which has its causes (genes, history) etc. but it just amazes me how much people are willing to factorize their own very complicated lives under a few numbers and subheadings.

I also see the fatalism in that when people see 50% heritable, all they see is GENES. desu none of us even know our genetic makeup or its effect on our own behaviour anyway and we can't disentangle what causes an individual to be different from the people around them just by looking at them. We cant make assumptions about genetics in that way.
>>
>>9139609
You are a fucking shithead moron

>If we assume everything works exactly how my bias wants it to work blah blah will happen
Shut the fuck up idiot.

First fucking defend your points with 1 fucking study on GWAS on whites vs blacks.
>>
>>9139721
It's almost entirely genetic. 50% is a cop out. 50% is based on averages and not what we will see in the near future with current technology

Trust me, when chang is creating babies in the lab they won't be on the fucking bell curve.
>>
>it's not entirely genetic
>muh dog is just as smart as a human

The only way you get as low as 70% genetic is because you are using arbitrary constraints. It's 100% genetic.
>>
>>9139731
Stop. Think. Are you being scientific? Are you making unwarranted assumptions?
>>
>>9139744
If the rock tries harder it will be good at math. Actually I'm just shifting the goalposts and context.
>>
>>9138177
>NEVER be good at math because you lack the genes to understand math

you dont need to be good at math, just use matlab and other math app outthere and you are no different than mathematician pHd
>>
>>9139747
Rocks dont have genes. Kek
>>
>>9139754
The rock is very sad now. Good job.
>>
>>9139747
You know heritability heavily depends on sanple context right? Theres no universal heritability score for a given trait.
>>
>>9139762
Of course. The thing is this discussion is heavily propagandized by people with specific bias against it. I don't feel bad saying 100% genetic or other such nonsense.
>>
>>9138728
Again, you seem to lack basic reading ability and reading comprehension.
>>
>>9139263
pfft, sucks to suck.
>>
File: frogs.webm (2MB, 636x480px) Image search: [Google]
frogs.webm
2MB, 636x480px
>>9138177
Who cares anymore, just let the genetically engineered people inherit this hellhole. I'm done.
>>
It's not genetic. You must free your mind
>>
File: frogembryo.webm (384KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
frogembryo.webm
384KB, 720x720px
>>9139865
There are people who don't want to clone humans but don't mind creating humans based on a lottery. Fucking savage fuckers and their savage ethics.
>>
>>9138351

>Fuck off. People like you rank among the worst in existence. I despise people like you.

Extreme ideologue detected. There is no reason to insult the other guy even if you disagree. Your insult proves that you are literally brainwashed.
>>
>>9139760
>>
>>9139266

>Then, train your fucking will to overcome it. It's not that deep.

Genetics is very deep. An individual may possibly overcome it, as an exception. A population will not. Intelligence averages are determined almost completely by genetics. Especially in developed countries where strong envirnmental factors such as starvation dont exist.

This is not rooted a defeatist attitude, quite the opposite. The fact that there are genetically very smart people is a great hope for humanity because genetic engineering could one day give such abilities to everyone. As someone else in the thread said, when the Chinese begin to CRISPR their babies, they wont be blinded by this ideology of radical equality and may very well create population cohorts with 130 IQ average. And who knows where the intelligence ceiling is..
>>
>>9139902
tfw rocks are conscious and sentient just in such a higher dimension that we don't see their complex movements through the manyworlds
>>
File: 2mSUIq4_d.jpg (11KB, 640x138px) Image search: [Google]
2mSUIq4_d.jpg
11KB, 640x138px
>MUH
>BLANK
>SLATE

Call me when Niggers actually advance civilization.

>>9138366
>>9139060
>>9139256

>Beaner We Wuzzing

You're not an Inca. You're a Mongrel who loathes Whitey like Obama does.
>>
>>9139716

>Smartest
>Nigger believes this
>>
File: Animu Characters Aren't Yellows.png (485KB, 596x599px) Image search: [Google]
Animu Characters Aren't Yellows.png
485KB, 596x599px
>>9139921

>when the Chinese begin to CRISPR their babies, they wont be blinded by this ideology of radical equality and may very well create population cohorts with 130 IQ average.

They'll also have good hair.
>>
>>9139921
People focus too much on abstract constructs such as intelligence predicting life chances when instead you should focus on tangible concrete skillsets. And just because somehing is highly genetic doesnt mean its not changeable. Executive function is a big example where this has been shown to be very trainable yet it has been found to have a .99% heritability component (so far in the literature). As said above, there is no universal heritability score for any given trait. Its highly sample and context dependent and most of the time theyre studying natural samples of people who have made no active effort to change their traits. People are so misleas by thinking this nature vs nurture debate is some universal objective thing when it is context dependent and malleable. Yes we might have special people whos difference from others is mainly genetic in e.g math but the point is that this isnt universal and in the dynamical nature of the brain its hard to truly tell what factors or events in a persons life lead somewhere. How other traits in them interact in their development to produce an outcome.
>>
>>9140074
The only way we can really infer the data people want is through complicated experiments that just arent possible.
>>
It is not at all surprising genetics largely defines intellectual capability.

It's actually a bit amazing liberals managed to deny it for this long.
>>
>>9140117

They're too busy pretending women did the bulk of actual science and Niggers founded Egypt/Moors/Whatever.
>>
File: 1482300175640.gif (1MB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
1482300175640.gif
1MB, 320x213px
>>9140074
>>9140086
You guys are pretty much on the money. As I said before, literally whole sale quoting the text of the journal:

"As discussed elsewhere, the difference between the twin and population-level models and their underlying assumptions complicates direct comparison of estimated parameters (see Methods). For example, unlike the twin model the population-level approach assumes that all environmental influences are independent among individuals. If there are geographically structured determinates of ability (for example, quality of teaching) that correlate with the genetic differences, then this can inflate population-based estimates of heritability."

However, the thread is filled with troll/ironic retards. Whats the fucking point about discussing paper if people don't actually read the whole fucking thing? Its like playing chess with a pigeon.
>>
>>9140139
>>9140117

>>9139609
>>9139587
>>
>>9140229

>It Dey Culcha
>>
>>9138351
Indian detected.
>>
>>9138183
This proposition has no facts, or reasoning whatsoever. So I'm not going to bother with a counter argument.
You are completely wrong and I know you are completely wrong because I study evolution
>>
>>9140343
whats your 2 cents then
>>
>>9140211
That's just legal boilerplate so the libtards in charge don't kick them out. Look at the quantitative results and ignore the "dont call me racist" notes.
>>
>>9140343
So how did my facial features and body form? Was it my free will that chose the proportions? Is my biological outcome not predictable by genetics?
>>
Why don't we just find exactly how einstien was taught and copy it. Then we could have millions of great physicists. Also why not open up a charter/boarding school and do the same to create some amazing scientists in Africa?

If we just control all the environmental variables we could recreate the environment of all the greatest scientists and make tons of them.

Although I really bet if we cloned great scientists the results would be shit because the environment would be different. Who would expect Einstein or any other great scientist to succeed if you put thousands of them in the worst american schools.

:thinking: It's so obvious it's environment and not genetic.
>>
>>9140481
>This is what brainlets actually say to themselves to be able to sleep at night
>>
>>9139609

>The statistical power of things like GWA type studies is astronomical, and we can barely find a handful.

It is not astronomical at all, it is barely up to the task. Only this year we found 52 genes accounting for 20% in IQ differences. This number will only go up in the future as statistical power increases and better data becomes available, especially whole genome data for non-European populations where real IQ variation lies.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-05-scientists-genetic-roots-intelligence.html#nRlv
>>
>>9139250
>Back from teaching.

congrats on your phd, not landing a tenure-track position and being stuck as a high school teacher
>>
>>9140486
It's impossible for me to understand why or how liberals can think how they do. There are conversations between liberals on podcasts where they say "I just completely avoid any articles on intelligence or even thinking about it"

The level of retardation and delusion you must have to not see reality is unfathomable to me. It's a mental illness to not notice genetic determisim.
>>
>>9140495
Stop talking about shit you have no idea about.

Senior TAs/PhD students are oftentimes given a section where they can teach. If a professor considers you reliable and the department knows of your work, you can be assigned to teach a class without their assistance. Typically, the flow goes like this:
>Grade homework/tests 1st semester as TA.
>Grade homework/tests 2nd semester as TA + lead recitation for your classes. This goes on for an extra semester, maybe.
>If you're really good, you can be assigned to teach your own class.

Hence, there are grad student instructors for lower level classes.

Protip: I'm a grad student who teaches Calculus, you fucking moron. I also stated I haven't earned my PhD just yet.

You're a mouthbreathing retard. Neck yourself.
>>9140302
Not Indian.
>>
>>9140442

read >>9140074
>>
>>9140528
You're retarded to not understand how complicated a topic is and using misleading phrases like genetic determinism. How can you talk about genetic determinism when heritability statistics don't even tell you about genetic causality and can only apply to populations and not individuals.
>>
>>9140773
See. It's hard for me to emulate such a shitty brain like yours.
>>
>>9140773
>Take argument about Y
>misrepresent it as about Z
>say Z is really complex
>Say Y is correct, but Z is not

You literally did nothing but make up a new argument, then discuss the new argument, and ignore the original.

For a clearer example since you are low IQ and can't understand the pattern I mentioned. You are taking a lower abstraction level of the argument, saying it is unknown, and then saying because it is unknown we don't understand it. Then right after saying we understand the higher abstraction level.

The entire argument was at the higher abstraction level of population. Basically you are fucking retarded and not logically consistent or really even understanding of simple concepts. You are braindead, get the fuck out of this thread.
>>
>>9140481
If intelligence is not genetic why are nonhuman animals retarded?

Why are chimps stupid?

Why are niggers stupid?
>>
A black box narrow AI could be what gives us an embryo score. The assumption we must understand anything is not correct. Humans have been using natural breeding methods to get results we want for a long time. It didn't require understanding a chicken's genome and which genes did what to get results.

The assumption we need low level of abstraction understanding is just fucking braindead. It's nice but not necessary. We also don't need perfect individual results. Random humans that we see now have genetic diseases, horrible traits, and other problems at what I would consider high rates.

All arguments can not be based on "we don't understand low levels of abstraction perfectly" or that "some things can go wrong". There is a balancing trade off for bad things happen that is completely acceptable and can easily be placed at the current level of genetic diseases / major defects that cause suffering.

The case that genetics do nothing can easily be abstracted out to dogs vs humans to prove genetics matter. Then you can simply assume humans vs new humans and see that genetics trump everything. Literally all arguments against this are terrible unless they are simply "Technology is not quite ready yet".
>>
>>9140816
For the argument on current human differences, not even necessarily race.

Every country would have genius factories creating scientists if it was environment. There is a reason every country on earth use test scores, aptitude tests, gifted programs, and other such things. These are not imaginary constructs of evil patriarchies. Human ability varies regardless of sameness in environment. If it was simply a matter of environment why in the world are there no controlled systems producing 150 IQ geniuses consistently?
>>
File: 1500434194382.jpg (32KB, 400x382px) Image search: [Google]
1500434194382.jpg
32KB, 400x382px
>>9138177
40% genetic 60% effort.
>
>>9138184
However 90% genetic if you have the Ed Witten's huge Brain PHENOTYPE.
>>
>>9140801
wt are you talking about, all i was doing was arguing against genetic determinism and i mentioned that. Im not saying that at all, im saying that heritability does not equal genetic determinism. Look at executive function. Its widely considered and empirically shown that you can improve executive function through intervention yet it has been found to have something ridiculous like a .98 heritability.

Explain to me what i should understand if im so retarded. Im happy to listen. Im not sure what you mean by high or low level abstraction.
>>
>>9140899
Level of Abstraction :
The amount of complexity by which a system is viewed or programmed. The higher the level, the less detail. The lower the level, the more detail. The highest level of abstraction is the entire system. The next level would be a handful of components, and so on, while the lowest level could be millions of objects.

For instance

Newton's laws vs Quantum Mechanics.
Depending on the level of abstraction of a system many things change. Ex. Calculating the trajectory of a baseball thrown from a catapult is different than calculating how an electron would behave. In this case it's that fine granular understanding really isn't needed. A black box function that gave you probable IQ based on inputs is enough even if no one on earth understands why. Aside: Meaning and Why are useless questions when you look at the real world btw. All you are really looking for is to capture patterns and if they seem intuitive or logical is entirely based on if you are used to the specific pattern enough.
>>
>>9141162
To elaborate

A lot of arguments on this subject are based on looking at a deeper layer of abstraction that is totally unnecessary for the predictions at hands. Meaning from my perspective a lot of arguments are people saying if you want to calculate the arc of a large projectile you should use quantum mechanics. It just shows a clear lack of any intelligence or understanding on the part of the criticism about reality and it's patterns.
>>
>>9140816
>>9140819
>>9141162
>>9141169
Good posts. However, when the time comes to make novel changes to a genome, wouldn't it be necessary to develop a complete map of all pathways.
This is probably well beyond what is possible at present.
>>
>>9141192
It is extremely hard to develop a complete map of the human genome because the map itself would contain so many variables I don't even think we have the capability to do that currently. Just doing topological interaction at an epigenetic level is a massive pain in the ass. Even then it doesn't particularly tell you much other than what is going on at that point or the points of interest and not how shit would change by putting something else there. One single change at that insertion point has the capacity to change almost everything down the line.
>>
>>9141216
Interesting.
>>
>>9139250
You know if you are talking about getting a PhD in mathematics you kind of prove the point you are only there due to affirmative action because only a fucking retard would get such a useless degree.
>>
>>9141162
So whats wrong with my abstractions
>>
>>9141192
The logical analysis. Your attack vector seems pointless. If we are doing such novel changes we would probably be messing with them in a gene therapy context by then and work backwards.

doing such novel testing at the embryo level first and waiting 20 years is improbable.
>>
>>9141413
The low level explanations you talked about are not needed in practice. They are nice to know and explore but for practical purposes it's just comparing input to output. We don't need to know the stuff going on in the black box.
>>
>>9141236
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

back to /pol/ please
>>
>>9139921
>they wont be blinded by this ideology of radical equality
the fact that intelligence is heritable does not imply that race predicts intelligence
>>
>>9141550
It pretty much does though.
>>
>Intelligence is genetic
>We are in the middle of a biotech boom
I think this is a problem that will sort itself out.
>>
>>9141435
Please explain this in normal language. What were so low level about my explanations
>>
File: 810.jpg (58KB, 810x540px) Image search: [Google]
810.jpg
58KB, 810x540px
>>9141771

Input -> Black Box -> Output

To match the input to output you don't need to know what is going on in the black box. If you have a million samples of matching input and output you can do pattern matching on it (GWAS for instance) and create a function that estimates output based on input.

It does not ever rely on knowing what goes on in the black box. Meaning if you switch from intelligence to height it's the same exact processes to get the predictive function. It's not reliant on "understanding"

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/craig-venter-human-longevity-genome-diseases-ageing
From just the fingerprint on your pen, we can sequence your genome and identify how you look," Venter explains. "It's good enough to pick someone out of a ten-person line-up and it's getting better all the time." These prediction algorithms were developed at Venter's latest venture, biosciences startup Human Longevity, Inc (HLi) by measuring 30,000 datapoints from across the faces of a thousand volunteers, then using machine learning to identify patterns between their facial morphology and their entire genetic code. "We could take foetal cells from a mother's bloodstream, sequence the genome and give her a picture of what her future child will look like at 18," he says.
>>
>it's not like I'm a lazy brainlet, it's because of the genetics why I'm bad at maths
You're just like fatties who keep their genetics in a fridge
>>
>>9142432
If a trait is caused by genetics, does it mean it can't be changed environmentally?
>>
>>9141646
Make everyone asian!
>>
File: maths.jpg (71KB, 482x323px) Image search: [Google]
maths.jpg
71KB, 482x323px
>>9138177
Finally an explanation why the math score gap cannot be close no matter how much money is spend on it.
>>
>>9146997
Finally, a cunt!

Just to let you know within group heritability studies like that aren't generalizeable to between groups so this isnt an explanation for anything.

>BTFO
>back to /pol/
>youll do fookin nootin
>>
>>9139250
>INHERENT laziness
nice self own dipshit
>>
>>9138728
this is the single most autistic argument I've ever seen.
>>
File: liberalinternet.jpg (47KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
liberalinternet.jpg
47KB, 800x450px
>>9147153
Name calling just shows that you have no better explanation.
>>
>>9147400
Environmental or cultural or socioeconomic factors also? How can you make your claims when nothing about iq genetic variance between races has even been quantified.

>>9147400
>>
im the only smart person in my entire family tree, explain this, gene fags
>>
>>9145716
Ashkenazi*

Asians aren't particularly smart
>>
>>9147423
japan is the most advanced country on the planet
>>
File: IQ4.jpg (226KB, 1200x966px) Image search: [Google]
IQ4.jpg
226KB, 1200x966px
>>9147410
Ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>9147430
lol
>>
>>9138183
It sounds like you need to go back to /pol/, buddy. I don't even know what you mean by how all of those countries and continents "all become predictable." All of humanity can be traced back to Africa, so I don't know what you're trying to say.

The reasons as to why most of humanity still doesn't live in Africa is because we figured out how much of a geographical shit hole it is, and most of us decided to migrate towards areas that bared more resources, however that's not to say that the people who stayed in these areas were mentally inferior. It just meant that they lived in regions where migration was much tougher, or they lived in a tribal system with stringent values on being anti-migration, and instead, many fought over dirt pit-tier tribal territory in their local regions.

Let's not forget about how the people who did migrate were doing the same dumb shit, except It was over land that had a shit ton more resources, so they had the ability to use more man-power to come up with greater solutions on killing the other person as to obtain even more of these resources.

Africans are still fighting over the dirt pits, and are sufficed by the efficacy of the killing instruments that they have.

Europe's not. They're pretty much on a coke binge for more resources, so they decide to pay Africa a little visit for their gold & dirt pit kingdoms.

We are almost all alike.
>>
>>9147439
wow, my country is one of the 3 retarded countries in europe
>>
File: 1499194925120.png (9KB, 672x480px) Image search: [Google]
1499194925120.png
9KB, 672x480px
>>9138351
>>9139250

People shit on the poor no matter what they do because any success on their part requires the people to look into themselves and feel inferior upon further retrospection.

Some kid who's dad was gone because falsely accused of a crime he is physically incapable of doing and was on death row since you were 3 and mom had a crippling disability and you still did well (since mom helped you out with your school work in between bouts of extreme pain cuz she was a HS teacher):"fuckin charity kid".

Another kid who came from a school where the textbooks are older then some of the teacher and is basically collapsing at any moment and you still got A's despite the teachers basically having to Macgyver a lesson plan with no money: "she got in easy!"

When people look at poor/underserved kids and see them shining despite the bullshit they deal with they feel incompetent because they for example had the better upbringing yet still aren't much. When they see those kids that got horseshit and grew Carrots with it the idea that "what if they had my middle class+ upbringing and resources"? The answer to that is answer very few would dare answer.
>>
>>9147458
I mean not really there is definitely genetic difference between the population that remained in africa and the population that migrated out, the people who stayed in africa further adapted to suit their climate and those that left did the same with where they lived as well as the occasional interbreeding with other hominid subspecies e.g neanderthals admixture with the populations that left africa
>>
>>9138177
I've always said, albeit crudely, that genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger. Certainly not a impenetrable comparison, but I think it speaks to the fact of genetic predisposition to extraordinary abilities. In the case of mathematical ability, I would imagine that there is a certain cognitive threshold needed to grasp concepts in higher levels of mathematics. Likewise, in the case of Olympians, such as, say, sprinters or weight lifters, I would imagine that there are certain musculoskeletal and hormonal characteristics needed to compete at the world-class level.

This is not to say that studying or training or environmental influences don't have an effect -- they are necessary to reach an elite level. I'd guess that if the promising mathematician never studied and partied all day, or the sprinter never trained and ice cream all day, they'd never reach elite status. But, the key difference which separates them from us mere mortals is that the mathematician can study all day and grasp higher concepts and ultimately make seminal contributions to mathematics. Likewise, the sprinter can train and eat right and not party and win an Olympic gold medal. The rest of us could do that, and just not have, say, the cognitive firepower or muscular explosiveness (or whatever) to become the best in the world.
>>
>>9140009
>post genocide comparison
So you agree with Inca superiority?

Then If we are going to compare both current populations shouldn't we put europeans under the same conditions amerindians suffered?
-90% genocide
-elites and middle-class murdered
-the rest of the priviledged class assimilated by eurangutans
-low class put on toxic mines for 4 centuries
Don't you think?
>>
>>9147439
Incas were superior to europeans though.
>>
>>9139574
>>9139583
No. Literally nothing. Most records contradict each other. Also, mummies tend to "blondify" their hair on some cases.

>mmmm really makes me think
That Incas were superior to europeans, right?
>>
File: 1486673560139.jpg (56KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486673560139.jpg
56KB, 1280x720px
>>9140447
>phenotypical traits as an argument for genetic determinism
holy fuck /pol/ brainlets never learn
>>
>>9139769
>I don't feel bad saying 100% genetic or other such nonsense
Well you're an idiot then, congratulations.
>>
File: ConquistadorsandIncas.jpg (265KB, 750x671px) Image search: [Google]
ConquistadorsandIncas.jpg
265KB, 750x671px
>>9148177
Could you explain to me if Incas were superior, why were they wiped out by the Spanish Conquistadors?
>>
>>9138177
A lot of bullshit. It's all about muscle memory and repetition to get good at anything not genetics
>>
>>9148229
>Could you explain to me
Not him, but....
Could you explain to me why you consider someone superior if they loot, rape and pillage better than someone else?
>>
>>9148229
Simple.
Europeans settle on europe: 40000BC
Amerindians reached Canada: 25000BC; then after the deglaciation (10000 years later) populated the rest of the continent in 15000BC

European crops date from 10000BC.
Amerindian crops date from 6000BC.

Europeans getting the bronze from other culture in 3200BC.
Amerindians reached the bronze age in 500BC approximately.

Also as a great factor:
Horse domesticated in 3000BC approximately.

Knowing that the rests of all amerindian populations of 14000BC to 10000BC were pretty much paleolithical-tier and all lived as nomads, practiced some artistic manifestations as european paleo-populations. It's safe to assume they started again in the paleolithic and had to morph the environment of woods, jungles and coasts to their convenience, the same the europeans did with their environment for thousands of years before the Neolithic.

Then let's compare:
Europeans lurking around as nomads: 30000 years.
Amerindians lurking around as nomads: 9000 years.

Europeans reaching the bronze age from other cultures after the Neolithic stage: 6800 years.
Amerindians reaching the bronze age by themselves without the influence of a culture thousands of years ahead of development: 5500 years.

Let's check also how many years have humans modifyed the horse population and environment: 37000 years.
Let's check how many years have amerindians affected the camelids of South-America, when the spaniards came: 16500 years. They had less than half the time, yet they already domesticated diverse species for food and whool. Llamas can carry up to 50 Kg.

And I didn't mention the disadvantages such as continental isolation (north-south and east-west), NiƱo fenomena that destroys coastal villages, less cultures to trade with, and no naval technology, iron, horses, wheel, and writting from north-african nor anatolian cultures.

So, it's safe to affirm. Incas were superior to europeans. Their higher development rate was excellent compared to europeans.
>>
>>9148249

higher intelligence allows them to loot, rape and pillage more effectively
>>
>>9147439
I believe that genetics may contribute to differences but this maps shows no evidence of anyhong. Its just descriptive.
>>
>>9139250
>'muh depreshun' and 'muh motivashun.

Can confirm I beat my severe depression one day when I just decided I couldn't be bothered being sad anymore.
>>
My dad is mediocre at math, my mom is a genius.

Math retardation must be a dominate trait.
>>
>>9138177
this scapegoat bad attitude has got-2-go

passion is a choice

work slowly

people make time for the things that are important to them
>>
>Koreans are a shit people, almost third world tier for centuries
>can't produce anything of value to anyone
Must mean they're a dumb tribal people, right?
>get westernized and introduced to capitalism
>become one of the top countries in the world in less than 50 years
Really makes your think
>>
>>9148476
>dumb tribal people, right?
well no, they had cities and technology , its just that they were always overshadowed by China
>>
File: waggy saggy b8.jpg (370KB, 827x1223px) Image search: [Google]
waggy saggy b8.jpg
370KB, 827x1223px
>>9148253
>Let's check also how many years have humans modifyed the horse population and environment: 37000 years.
>Horse domesticated in 3000BC approximately.

I was honestly about to reply seriously, take this (you)
>>
File: rich-kids-of-instagram (102).jpg (102KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
rich-kids-of-instagram (102).jpg
102KB, 640x640px
>>9138177
I always knew it thats why I never tryharded in school
t.CE grad
>>
>>9148516
it really depends on what you're trying to do
if you don't have an IQ that's a statistical fluke, you're probably not going to be the next genius to revolutionize whatever field you go into
but if you're fairly intelligent and you work hard, you should be able to have a decent understanding of the field and may make some contributions
>>
>>9148527
depends if you are talking academically or commercially. CEOs are generally not fluke IQ but still higher than nirmal by a few STDevs.
>>
>>9148391
That's not severe depression.
>>
And we need math (beyond highschool level) for ... ?
>>
>>9148505
Try again with some facts subhuman.

Inca superiority is a historical fact. Face it, you literally cannot prove your superior wrong.
>>
>>9138177
>be bad at math
>be low IQ
>get mediocre to bad grades in school
>work a minimum wage job
>still study advanced math anyway

I literally don't give a fuck about innate ability. I read through "A Course in Homological Algebra" in about two weeks because I'm a persistent motherfucker who doesn't give up. Sure I only understood some of it, but it made more sense when I started through the intro to number theory book I got afterwards, as I then saw where the motivation for the generalizations came from. I've seen so many high IQ pussies who can't handle feeling dumb and give up after seconds, days of feeling stupid. Since I feel stupid all the time, I'm used to it, and I don't ever stop trying. Genetics can suck my fucking cock. You would be amazed at how many pretentious high IQ people have told me to give up. I give them the finger and plow on. Sometimes I even know more than them. Those are the moments I live for. There's nothing more satisfying than watching someone's sense of reality shatter. "But he's so stupid, how did he know that!" I love that shit. I don't care if I'm bad at math or have a low IQ. I'm going to study and figure out anything I fucking want. Attitude matters more than intelligence. Stick up for yourself and do whatever the fuck you want.
Thread posts: 157
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.