[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sesame street introduces new autistic character; debate on vaccines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: sesame20f-2-web.jpg (22KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
sesame20f-2-web.jpg
22KB, 750x422px
Katie Walker is a fucking riot.

direct quote, "Normalizing autism is sure gonna come in handy. 1:68 kids now, and increasing exponentially every year. Expected to be 1:2 in 2030. We should celebrate differences, but not when they're caused by poisoning innocent children via 40+ vaccines before the age of 6. Neurotoxins and living beings don't mix."
>>
here's the sauce:
From facebook

GoodMorningAmerica/videos/10155619103608812/?hc_ref=ARTXfGqogTgqCVPx5msC4G0uTDmqlVdnym6PXO9TtNrndgcZ4PFD8JE_Ucd6WvTIEfI

/sci/ doesn't like facebook posts
>>
Many such cases!
>>
File: 1490036940928-png[1].204463_.png (236KB, 1438x440px) Image search: [Google]
1490036940928-png[1].204463_.png
236KB, 1438x440px
I think the worse part about this is that they are introducing less awareness but more normalizing of a personality disorder with this "LOL SHE'S SO WEIRD." It does more harm to the autistic child because the child should be taught what is appropriate. The part where Julia jumps up and down flails her arms and everyone else repeats her actions like is some kind of game is not only uneducational to non autists but it's sending the message to children with autism that it's ok to do those things. Autisic children that do abnormal actions should attempt to learn that those things are inappropriate or at lest be reminded of that. But instead progressives try to act like we are all the same mentality.
t. Brother of someone with mental retardation with similar symptoms of autism
Oh yeah and go vaccinate your kids immediately after birth so they won't get some rare std or some shit. lmao.
>>
>>9137778
> increasing exponentially every year

Probably because they keep expanding the fucking diagnosis of "autism" every few years. It used to be only the *really* fucked up kids (to the point that they'd need to be in special ed) would ever be diagnosed. Anything else would just be considered "eccentric" or "kids being kids."

Nowadays, parents and teachers feel the need to slap whatever label on their kid they can, and then pressure the doctor to force that in.

See also: the ADHD "epidemic" which is mostly just parents wanting to drug their kids for being at normal-levels of activity or not wanting to pay attention in school.
>>
>>9137928
>normalizing of a personality disorder
I dunno if "normalizing" is the right way to put it. Think about depression and anxiety, and how much coverage those got in recent years. It's not about making people feel okay living with it; it's about raising awareness. I personally wouldn't mind more bipolar characters in fiction, as long as they're portrayed realistically, because almost everyone who's heard the term interprets it incorrectly.

I think we've just hit a saturation point with autism. It's getting irritating because we're seeing the same shit over and over while the criteria for diagnosis keeps getting broader. It used to come from a good place, I think; now it's just sensationalism.
>>
While I genuinely enjoy the concept of this character, the logic here is deeply flawed. Just because a value is exponential now doesn't mean you can just blindly extrapolate - optimum levels usually follow a laffer curve. Fucking retard, cunt ass bitch who think she's smart because she uses statistics in a real world application. that fills me with pure fury.

>>9137937
i agree
>>
Healthy young child goes to doctor, gets pumped with massive shot of many vaccines, doesn't feel good and changes - AUTISM. Many such cases!
>>
>>9137937
>the first year we teach them to walk and talk.
>from the second year on we tell them to sit still and shut up.
Pobably this is a good time to up the dosage.
>>
>>9137937
I'm a father to a child with autism, and you're not wrong.
The autism community is flawed too.
We're raising our child with the expectations you would place upon a typically developing child.

Every interaction we have is work on our part- there's always an opportunity to develop a trait that's lagging behind.

But we are not the norm in the community. There are a TON of "autism parents" (wtf is that? You're just a parent, dipshits) who hide behind their child's diagnosis.

We were told our child would never speak. He would probably keep his severe eating disorder. Basically his symptoms would cripple him.

He's going into third grade now- and is he atypical? Yeah, of course. But he's on academic par with his peers. His speech is stinted but he can converse with you, convey emotions and concepts. His eating disorder is done and gone.
We even have play dates, with his friends.

We'll see a rise of diagnosis, sure. But we'll see a lot of children suffering because our generation (25-30) would rather be pitied than put in the work.

They can be much more than their symptoms- but someone has to be there, grinding, putting in the work.
>>
>>9138241
There's only so much work you can do. Real 'normal' people are terrible. As a 37 year old autistic man, I have school pictures that go from all smiles to never ending frowns. If I have anxiety/stress talking to normal people, it is induced by years of experience. Neurotypicals lie to each other every day about anything. They do it so easily that it can be difficult to detect and work around without significant amounts of training.

Do your kid a favor and teach him to know the signs that someone is saying something they don't mean and what to do in those situations. Yes this includes things like Santa, the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, god and all other sorts of bullshit things normal parents say to their normal kids. If he has to learn those things aren't real from strangers, he'll resent you for willfully lying to him all this time.

On Speech, if he's still talking like a baby, probably nobody has told him he's not a baby anymore and to start talking like a man. It won't be terribly hard for him unless there's a physical problem. If it persists, make sure he isn't regularly exposed to 'age appropriate' media with characters that still talk like babies. Rugrats, for example, can destroy an autistic child's ability to speak normally because he's imitating those characters.

Do be careful what you say though. If you say it's rude to stare (lotta normies do this), he may never look anyone in the eyes again (which causes problems down the line). So when you have behavioral advice like this, always make a clear connection to the specific situation where said advice is applicable and that it isn't applicable elsewhere.

Good luck trying to not fuck up your autistic kid.
>>
File: kermit.gif (482KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
kermit.gif
482KB, 500x360px
>>9137928
>The part where Julia jumps up and down flails her arms and everyone else repeats her actions like is some kind of game is not only uneducational to non autists but it's sending the message to children with autism that it's ok to do those things

I think it's just a thing muppets do.
>>
>>9137778
>letting the electric jew raise your children
>>
>>9138901
literally all of the muppets have autism

making an "autistic muppet" was just redundant
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.