[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to teach myself undergrad math. Is pic related a good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: ThomasCalc.jpg (17KB, 260x333px) Image search: [Google]
ThomasCalc.jpg
17KB, 260x333px
Trying to teach myself undergrad math. Is pic related a good place to start with? (Yes, I know the sticky recommends something else.)
>>
>>9137456
>(Yes, I know the sticky recommends something else.)
Then why make this thread? You already know the answer
>>
>>9137459
Sticky was made by faggots
>>
>>9137463
Why the homophobia?
>>
>>9137459

OP here, this is the textbook my uni wants me to get. I just wanted to know whether I can make do with this.
>>
>>9137475
bump
>>
File: image.jpg (365KB, 640x852px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
365KB, 640x852px
>>9137475
you can make "do" with anything that will teach you the curriculum.
if you haven't had an intro to proofs class yet these shit tier babby calculus texts are the only ones you'll be able to follow.
>>
>>9137456
Take your function and use ( f(x+h)-f(x) ) / h where h is the smallest number you can program without it turning into 0 when you need its derivative function and iterate (b-a) * ( f(a) + f(b) ) / 2 a few times for when you need its integral function. Everything else is just unnecessary optimization autism.
>>
>>9137579
ever heard of a goddamn bell curve? what's "shit tier babby" for you might be moderate or even difficult and alright / sufficient for most students. especially as an introduction. not everybody was doing formal proofs at age 9 buddy
>>
>>9137579
>>9137846

Is it a good book to start with? What should I study after this?
>>
Never found Thomas or Stuart particularly useful at undergrad for the assignment questions i got, especially the latter courses. Tended to find help from more specific online pdf books or google scholar.

Least i can sell them on though as people tend to think they're useful.
>>
>>9137456
Spivak or kys
>>
>>9138105
Nah man, Apostol is better than Spivak
>>
>>9137953
Yeah, Thomas's is ok. It's got calculus in it, so as long as you can read and do the exercises you're in reasonable shape. Next, a book on introductory linear algebra, or The Book Of Proof would be solid. The second will make the first easier. The natural next step from there is ordinary differential equations.
>>
>>9138463

Okay. Thank you.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.