[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /sci/ can one of you explain our existence in terms of what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: quark.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
quark.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
Hi /sci/ can one of you explain our existence in terms of what we are made up of?

I read a bit about quarks and gluons but it seemed confusing to me as I am not a scientist.

What are we made up of and what happens when we die?

Are we made up of energy/radiation and then we decompose into carbon particles and we become part of the "universe" (We are all stardust?) does our energy radiate off into space or do our bodies keep recycling itself in a never ending cycle of energy being used and re-used in different forms?

Appreciate any expertise on this matter.
>>
File: 1443095312590.jpg (820KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1443095312590.jpg
820KB, 1000x1500px
google "neil degrasse tyson"

dat nigga gonna blow your mind

knows everything about universe and shit
>>
>>9134439
Stop avatarfagging
>>
You are made of cells, which are made of molecules, which are made of atoms, which are made of protons, neutrons, and electrons. All the other subatomic shit doesn't matter.

When you die, your body rots, decomposes, and is fed on by scavengers. Unless you're cremated, in which case you're reduced to piles of carbon and thrown into the winds.

Everything is part of the universe. There's no spiritual meaning in this. Yes, your energy radiates into space, it radiates off towards anything visible. Energy also comes to you from everything that can see you. The Earth gets energy from the sun, and for the most part the amount of matter on Earth is constant.
>>
>>9134443
>Everything is part of the universe

Except our soul but that's not my business.
>>
>>9134443
>>it radiates off towards anything visible

Could you expand on this please? Does this mean it radiates to the moon and sun, stars visible in the universe, or after radiating into the universe?
Or does it mean our energy in the form of radiation radiates to whatever visible matter is closest to our remaining matter on earth?

If matter/energy on earth is constant, does that mean there is an excess of energy if we are receiving it from the sun?

Or is there a balance of energy between what we receive from the sun and what we radiate outwards into space upon death and decomposition?

So from your comments I understand that we decompose, carbon, nutrients, minerals are consumed by microbes, worms, plants in the soil, and whatever energy is left is radiated into the soil or universe?

Is that a correct understanding?

And another question I have, is what is consciousness? is it just particles reacting to each other?

like if you push something sharp in your skin as a stimuli you will get a reaction?

or like magnets and positive and negative charges?

consciousness is simply matter or energy reacting to other matter/particles or energy?

Thanks for your answers
>>
File: 1419442997988.jpg (558KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1419442997988.jpg
558KB, 1500x1000px
>>9134442
Make me.
>>
>>9134433
>What are we made up of
99% of our mass is virtual particles
>>
>>9134488
what are virtual particles? some type of special particle?
>>
>>9134457
Souls would still be part of the universe because of the definition of universe.
>>
>>9134499
Particles that pop in and out of existence instantaneously
>>
>>9134499
https://profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/particle-physics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/
>>
>>9134482
MODS
>>
File: 1435623667601-3.jpg (600KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1435623667601-3.jpg
600KB, 1920x1080px
>>9134433
There are six different kinds of quarks. Gluons are the particles that "glue" quarks together. Different combinations of quarks make up the protons and neutrons that make up the nuclei of atoms.

"You" are a dynamic system of electrical impulses and chemical exchanges in your brain. When that system stops, there is no "you" left. You don't become part of the universe when you die because you are already part of the universe. It's just that the small part of the universe responsible for making you who you are stops moving from one state to another.

>>9134465
>Could you expand on this please?
At least some energy dissipates from any system, usually in the form of heat. That's why perpetual motion machines don't work.

>If matter/energy on earth is constant
It's not, some of it dissipates into space. That's why the ozone layer is important, it traps most of the heat in our atmosphere.

> is what is consciousness?
That's still a touchy subject here, and every thread about it usually gets derailed by some guy making baseless assertions about it and telling everyone to read the Vedas or something.
But I think consciousness basically emerges from our ability to examine our own perceptions, thoughts, and feelings.
>>
>>9134433
Yes, you're made out of a bunch of different elements, mostly carbon, when you die those elements get eaten by other life forms, and your body is recombinated into other life forms and the waste of other life forms. This will repeat many times, until you are very dispersed and no two atoms of "you" are near each other. Your atoms will swirl around until the heat death of the universe and then your atoms will be gone forever.
>>
Why don't our bones decompose naturally fast in soil? why is it not broken down?

Is the calcium in it what makes it hard for organisms/bacteria in the soil to make it decay?

Do our finger and toenails made of chitin also last long? I heard that nails and hair keep growing upon death
>>
File: 1486345862455.gif (726KB, 245x291px) Image search: [Google]
1486345862455.gif
726KB, 245x291px
>>9134743
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.