[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yellowstone Supervolcano

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_7051.jpg (115KB, 614x422px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7051.jpg
115KB, 614x422px
I have seen several different graphs showing what would happen if the thing explodes, and I have absolutely no idea which one is the "correct one"

Any volcanologists here?
>>
File: IMG_7053.jpg (143KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7053.jpg
143KB, 1280x720px
>>9133272
Here's another I have seen
>>
File: IMG_7054.jpg (63KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7054.jpg
63KB, 500x325px
>>9133272
>>9133273
And yet another, and they make me rather confused. I live in Minnesota along the Mississippi River and I have always wanted to know what would actually happen because in pretty much every single one of these maps, I'm in some different risk level and I'm not entirely sure which one is scientifically accurate.

Yes, statistically it's probably not going to ever explode in my lifetime and NASA is planning on finding a way to drill it so that it never explodes ever, but I just want to be able to understand these maps and figure out which one is correct
>>
>>9133272
This one is just a rough estimate.

>>9133273
This one shows previous supervolcano eruptions (from many millions of years ago)

>>9133277
This one is more accurate.
>>
>>9133272
Given the impossibility of measuring even naive probabilities for incredibly rare events, none of these graphs are "correct"? They're all very hand-wavy approximations.
The real answer is "we don't know, but it would be very bad".
>>
>>9133272
>>9133273
>>9133277
I hate these maps so much.

WHAT would lead you to believe the effects of the volcano would be in an oval? WHY THE HELL would that oval JUST SO HAPPEN to be rotated in SUCH A WAY as to cover as much U.S. territory as physically possible?
These things are obviously trying to scare you by saying, 'look! See how it's specifically going to target and destroy US!' Nature doesn't give a shit about you, it isn't going to erupt in the way that specifically affects humanity the most, it's going to erupt in a roughly circular fashion indifferent to humanity's existence.
>>
>>9133273
That's not what WOULD happen, that's what DID happen in past eruptions. Note they are not the same -- what would happen in a future eruption would depend on way too many variables that we don't know values for, or what to do with them if we had them. We know that, if it cut loose again, it would be -- in technical volcanology terms -- bad.
That's about all
>>
File: map.jpg (2MB, 5000x3434px) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
2MB, 5000x3434px
>>9133272
I have made a pretty accurate one that should help you in whatever you need it for
>>
>>9133277
The probability any of these maps are correct is about the same as the probability the thing will blow up in the next 100 years
>>
>>9133363
That's how eruptions work though. The prevailing wind spreads out the eruption plume. Over the US, the jet stream is primarily flowing west to east, so the plume would be stretched out in that direction.
As >>9133402 notes, >>9133273 is a map of deposits on the ground from past super eruptions. They really do spread out like that.
>>
>>9133432
This. It doesn't matter where the ash cover is going to be deepest. The latent ash will spread itself throughout the globe's atmosphere anyway, blocking out the sun and exterminating most secondary and tertiary consumers, along with many other species as well.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.