[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The time will come when diligent research over long periods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: seneca.jpg (109KB, 1013x785px) Image search: [Google]
seneca.jpg
109KB, 1013x785px
>The time will come when diligent research over long periods will bring to light things which now lie hidden. A single lifetime, even though entirely devoted to the sky, would not be enough for the investigation of so vast a subject... And so this knowledge will be unfolded only through long successive ages. There will come a time when our descendants will be amazed that we did not know things that are so plain to them... Many discoveries are reserved for ages still to come, when memory of us will have been effaced.
― Seneca, Natural Questions

Do you think we are an intelligent species? Or are we nothing in comparison to the potential for organic life such as ourselves, and we're just trapped in an evolutionary local maximum with respect to intelligence?
>>
>>9131515
>Do you think we are an intelligent species?
Yes and the evidence is that I think so.
>Or are we nothing in comparison to the potential for organic life such as ourselves
This is a hard question to answer because we haven't met a more intelligent life form than ourselves and we know too little about our brain to ascertain how much more powerful such an organ can be. Some aspects of nature may seem beyond human comprehension, but that may be because we haven’t yet found a clever way to abstract them. Maybe our brain is adequate for the task, but we know too little to make sense of everything.
>>
>>9131515
>Do you think we are an intelligent species?
We are the most intelligent life that we know can exist. We are the smartest general intelligence currently alive, at the very least on Dirt.

>Or are we nothing in comparison to the potential for organic life such as ourselves, and we're just trapped in an evolutionary local maximum with respect to intelligence?
We are extremely far form the smartest possible intelligence. I'm not sure what the biological limit to intelligence is, as it's a pretty delicate system, but we can surely invent a AGI that is smarter than us.

As far as whether we will evolve to be more intelligent, probably not. There are no evolutionary pressures for intelligence, and we like to jerk ourselves off for helping the less fortunate, which means that not only do we not encourage smart people to live, we try to keep the dumb people around, too.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.