[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I had a question like this in a job interview The resistors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled.png (11KB, 801x509px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
11KB, 801x509px
I had a question like this in a job interview

The resistors are of equal value.
-Arrange them from smallest resistance to biggest
-Arrange them by power consumption if you connect them to a voltage source of the same potential

What's the answer?
>>
Assume r = 2
A = 2+2 = 4
B = 2/2+2 = 3
C = (2+2)/2 = 2
Higher resistance requires more power.

Probably getting trolled, oh well.
>>
>>9129973
>-Arrange them from smallest resistance to biggest
C, A, B
>-Arrange them by power consumption if you connect them to a voltage source of the same potential
>implying this isn't the same as the previous
P=IR
>>
>>9129988
Mixed up A and B
>>
B, A, C for the fist one

C, A, B for the second
>>
>>9129973
C A B
>>
>>9129995
Woops, switch those
>>
>>9129998
but shouldn't it be P = U*1, I is unkown and therefore I = U/R --> P = U^2/R

Therefore it will draw the most power with the smallest resistance because it will draw the biggest current from the source at that voltage.

I said in the interview that it should be the same sequence for both questions.
>>
>>9129998
Ah, seems like we had the same reasoning anyway.
Smallest resistance causes a bigger power draw than a large resistance when connected to a voltage source?
>>
>>9130009
For constant voltage, yes. Power varies inversely with resistance.
>>
>>9130015
That's what I thought. They said in the interview that it would be the opposite, i.e. the higher the resistance the bigger the power consumption.
I said it was the other way around, i.e. higher power consumption as the resistance goes down.
I have to e-mail that guy(potential boss) and tell him his test was wrong.
>>
>>9129989
I think P=I^2R actually
>>
>>9130230
Your all missing the plot. P=I^2 * R, but for constant voltage I = V/R so P = V^2/R so power is inversely proportional to resistance (for constant voltage)..
>>
>>9130236

>>9129989 here, I just read the OP wrong. I thought it just said connected to a power source, and assumed a constant current rather than voltage.
And P=IR was a typo
>>
>>9129973
C<A<B

Don't you just add up all power of devices, so they all have the same power consumption
>>
>>9129973
>>9130020
>I have to e-mail that guy(potential boss) and tell him his test was wrong.
Please don't embarrass yourself like that OP.

Total power = sum of power consumed by resistor

Power consumption does not change just because you put the resistors in parallel. This is basic shit
>>
>>9131236
>Power consumption does not change just because you put the resistors in parallel
That isn't even slightly true. You shouldn't even be thinking of A, B, and C as having multiple resistors. Just treat them as a simplified, single resistor, then use P=V^2/R
>>
>>9129973
this thread just made me realize just how fucking stupid /sci/ is. biochem grad student, if you've taken physics 2 you should be able to answer this shit like no problem, even with no scientific background. also what the fuck company uses this simple ass fucking question on a job interview
>>
>>9131530
I'm hoping OP is a high schooler trying to pass an exam question off as a job interview question.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.