[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Dirac Delta a function or a generalized distribution?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: pepp.jpg (76KB, 770x770px) Image search: [Google]
pepp.jpg
76KB, 770x770px
Is the Dirac Delta a function or a generalized distribution?
>>
It's a function from the vector space of smooth functions to the corresponding fields
>>
>>9125024
Distributions are functions. I don't understand why people get triggered when you call the [math]\delta[/math] a function. Have they ever opened a functional analysis book?
>>
>>9125067
It's not a function.
It's not even necessary.

Check out the Riemann–Stieltjes integral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann%E2%80%93Stieltjes_integral

Discontinuities in the integrator perform discrete samplings of the integrand with a weight equal to the size of the "jump".

A unit step function for the integrator does the same thing as the delta.
>>
File: distribution.png (18KB, 444x69px) Image search: [Google]
distribution.png
18KB, 444x69px
>>9125220
Functional Analysis (Walter Rudin).
Now crop me an alternative definition of distributions.
>>
>>9125024
Lil peep

Leavvveeeee me alone
>>
File: exasperation.gif (1MB, 279x219px) Image search: [Google]
exasperation.gif
1MB, 279x219px
>>
>>9125024
define function. and im not being pedantic, it realy does depend. the dirac delta is a functional, which is a function from a vector space to a its underlying field. even if you use the underlying set using the forgetful functor U its still a function from one set to another. if you define function as it is defined in calculus, as a subset of the cartesian product of the doman and codomain with some additional constraints, then its not a function though.
>>
>>9125934
>[..] then its not a function though.
You honestly don't know what you are talking about.
But then you're like freshman so whatever.
>>
>>9125938
its not though, to be a function as usually defined in calc the codomain must be in R, infinity isnt in R.
>>
>>9125934
I just realized I made an error, its NOT a function on the vector space itself, but its still is a function on the underlying set of the vector space. It is also a function on the vector space of function over the base set. I accidentally combined those 2 things into one on my post
>>
>>9125892
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spede_Pasanen
>>
>>9125943
Codomain must be in R only for real valued function. For general function it's codomain can be an arbitrary set
>>
>>9125934
A function f:A->B is a relation from the set A to the set B, such that for all a in A there exists one and only one b in B such that afb (a is related to b by f)
>>
>>9125024
distribution

it is undefined at 0
>>
those are the same thing OP
>>
File: ddm.png (5KB, 250x189px) Image search: [Google]
ddm.png
5KB, 250x189px
>>9125024
Neither
>>
>>9127322
>>9126450
yes, in set theory in general its also a function, but not in calc/analyses where the domain and codomain must be R^n
>>
>>9128379
Unironically kill yourself.
>>
>>9127404
>it is undefined at 0
[math]\langle \delta,\varphi\rangle=\varphi (0)[/math] you useless bag of meat.
[math]0[/math] is the zero vector hence
[math]\langle \delta,0\rangle=0[/math].
Do not post here if you haven't ever opened a Functional Analysis textbook you negroid.
>>
>>9128492
fine, K^n where K can be R or C if you want to be anal about it.
>>
it's a functional whatever that means I never call it a function
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.