[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Water bears - space colonisation hypothesis thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: wbear1-1.jpg (37KB, 620x376px) Image search: [Google]
wbear1-1.jpg
37KB, 620x376px
Let's say we have some water bears (the "arctic" ones, "vulcano dwellers" and all the inbeween) and throw them on a planet other then Earth.

What factors should appear for them to survive?
What possible turn could evolution take?
Would the water bears alone be enough to built an ecosystem?
If it would imarge, how long would it take for it to start looking like ours?

Hit me with your best shot /sci/
>>
They would all starve to death (although extremely slowly because they're water bears) because they would have nothing to eat except each other.

You need some stuff for them to eat first, like algae or moss

The base of your ecosystem NEEDS to be something that can get energy out of the environment through photosynthesis, heat, or radioactive materials. Water bears are eaters, they don't produce energy
>>
>>9123401
You totally located a gap in my half-baked theory, thanks Anon. Now I just gotta go search for some resiliant water flora
>>
For something to survive, there needs to be

food
water
shelter
habitable temperature

remove any one of these and it will die
>>
File: 1502415017428.jpg (304KB, 980x552px) Image search: [Google]
1502415017428.jpg
304KB, 980x552px
>>9123401
>radioactive materials
I was under the impression, that all energy and all food inevitably stems from the sun's rays if you trace its path in the food chain back to the start.
Can you actually get biological energy from radioactive materials? Are there any animals that actually do that here on earth?
>>
>>9123483
Why food and water? Is it impossible for life to exist by getting its energy solely from the sun?
>>
>>9123502
Chemosynthesis, The short answer is yes, in fact melanin converts radiation into energy. Not enough to be useful to humans or even blacks, but there's a few microorganisms that use melanin instead of chlorophyll and have been found in radioactive areas or reactors.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.