[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wtf is the difference between (-∞,5) and [-∞,4] ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: vaporwave.png (345KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
vaporwave.png
345KB, 1024x576px
Wtf is the difference between (-∞,5) and [-∞,4] ?
>>
[eqn]\left\{-\infty\right\}\,\cup\,\left(4,\,5\right)[/eqn]
>>
the first is numbers smaller than 5
the second is numbers smaller or equal to 4, and including -infinity
>>
The second isn't a set of real numbers because it includes -∞.
>>
>>9122885
Yeah it has to be an error, but if op meant (-inf,4] then the difference would just be the former set is larger by (4,5)
>>
u can't have closed bracket infinities retard
>>
>>9122911
>u can't have closed bracket infinities retard
Speak for yourself, brainlet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_real_number_line
>>
>>9122876
>>
>>9122913
>fake bullshit
stay in your cuckshed math major. for real people infinity isn't a number.
>>
>>9122918
>stay in your cuckshed math major. for real people infinity isn't a number.
do you have trouble reading, brainlet? infinity is a number for extended real people
>>
>>9122918
I think more 'ordinary people' would consider infinity a number than mathematicians desu
>>
Draw a number line and do some coloring
>>
I learned in calculus that, for either infinity, you can only have parentheses closing them; not a bracket.

EX:
(-infinity, 5)
(-infinity, 4)
[3, infinity)

Brackets usually mean "up/down to and including" in calculus too, so it wouldn't make sense to say, for [-infinity, 4], "from 4 down to and including neg. infinity" since infinity isn't a number. You can't "include" endless increase or endless decrease like you can "include" a discreet number.

This is just from what I've remembered from a super basic, first-day lecture of calculus I though.
>>
>>9123551
see
>>9122913
>>
>>9122876
>Wtf is the difference between (-∞,5) and [-∞,4] ?
(-∞,5) + [5,4] = (-∞,4]
>>
>>9122876
>(-∞,5)
x < 5

>[-∞,4]
x =< 4
This is also syntactically incorrect, you can't really have a closed bracket for -∞ and ∞
>>
>>9123610
>This is also syntactically incorrect, you can't really have a closed bracket for -∞ and ∞
see
>>9122913
>>
>>9123612
Yes, but for the scope of the course OP is taking, the closed bracket for -∞ and ∞ is incorrect.
>>
>>9123617
How do you know what course he/she is taking?
>>
>>9123619
you learn about domains and ranges during MAT1033 and MAC1107. Not knowing the meaning of inequalities like what OP posted suggests that OP has not reached precalculus.
>>
>>9123625
>MAT1033 and MAC1107
literally what
>>
>>9123627
intermediate algebra and college algebra.
>>
>>9123634
>college algebra.
You mean rings, groups, fields, etc.?
>>
>>9123664
No, like

>Solve polynomial, rational, exponential, and logarithmic equations.
>Solve equations involving radicals.
>Solve equations with rational exponents.
>Solve equations with negative exponents.
>Solve polynomial and rational inequalities.
>Use the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra and the Conjugate Zeros Theorem to find zeros of polynomials of degree three or greater.
>Find the vertex of a parabola and the center and radius of a circle by completing the square.
>Find the vertex of a parabola written in standard form by using the formula h = -b/2a.
>Convert an exponential equation to logarithmic form, and a logarithmic equation to exponential form.
>Evaluate exponential and logarithmic functions using the change of base formula and a calculator.
>Use the properties of logarithms to expand a logarithmic expression, and to write an expanded logarithmic expression as a single logarithm.
>Solve a system of linear equations using Gaussian elimination.
>Solve a system of linear equations using matrix inversion or Cramer’s Rule.
>>
>>9123691
All of those except the last 3ish were taught in my hs calc classes for some stupid ameriburger reason
>>
>>9123711
I tutor this stuff on fridays at my uni. If you did well in high school, then thats great, well done. I had to start from the bottom cuz I wasn't a very good student in high school.
>>
>>9122876
The first is correct notation and the second is gibberish.
>>
File: superior ashkenazi PHENOTYPE.jpg (203KB, 798x1200px) Image search: [Google]
superior ashkenazi PHENOTYPE.jpg
203KB, 798x1200px
>not working in the projective real line
I shig at you brainlets
>>
>>9122876
Second one includes 4.1, 4.2, 4.6, 4.8, 4.999, 4.999999, 4.9999999999 etc
>>
>>9123955
EDIT: meant first one
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.