[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if /x/ is right (about certain things)?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: twilight_zone_logo.jpg (56KB, 656x329px) Image search: [Google]
twilight_zone_logo.jpg
56KB, 656x329px
Obviously I'm not talking about the "wilder" stuff, but take for example cryptozoology (or however the fuck it's called). I mean, a big white ape-like creature existing in the Himalayas isn't that far fatched. Or some big-ass squids existing in the deep. "Mermaids" could be some kind of fish who vaguely looks humanoid in the dark.

Even if you take it one-step further, has nobody, not one person here, ever had an "experience"? Something out of the ordinary? If you did, what was your rational explaination for it? It doesn't have to be "supernatural" for it to be weird and creepy. It could be something, as of yet, unexplained. For example, Vampires were always part of folk tales, but we know that the reality behind them was a certain disease that the people back then, afraid and religious,turned into a mythical curse because of their limited knowledge.

Even if none of these apply to you, don't you ever wonder a bit? I get that this is the science board and all that, but I refuse to believe that every single person here is, and always was, a logic-driven atuomaton.
>>
Page 10 bump.
>>
>>9122620
Science is about trying to explain the unexplained, not reject it. Hard-science-fags need to get the stick out of their bum tbqh. Especially since we're in the age where we are constantly inventing things that used to be considered fiction in this day and age.
>>
I believe Sasquatches are an extinct animal that died off in the colonial era.
>>
My favorite fringe science is cryptozoology, which has in the past produced results. Although rarely. Keep hunting those sasquatch guys, maybe you'll run into something.
>>
>>9122620
>Even if you take it one-step further, has nobody, not one person here, ever had an "experience"? Something out of the ordinary?
Yes
>If you did, what was your rational explaination for it?
Psychosis
>>
>>9122620

The biggest issue in my mind is the sheer volume of people happy to forge evidence to "prove" these things.

It creates the situation where anything we truly cannot explain will almost certainlly be a hoax, meaning you may as well disregard anything as hoax due to the anount of time and money potentially wasted.
>>
>>9124571
> http://woodape.org/
> real organization who's goal is to give sasquatch legal protection as an endangered species
> the only way to protect sasquatch is to prove their real
> the only way to prove their real is to produce a body
> literally spend their day wandering the forest armed with SEMI-AUTOMATIC MACHINE GUNS shooting at anything that looks like bigfoot
>>
>>9124581
* they're
(literally autocorrected a real word into an incorrect one)
>>
>>9124580
This. There used to be some skinwalker stories that could have been about an actual animal, but now they're just shapeshifters in crappy creepypastas. People go "Hey, this is believable. Let's make it a joke so nobody believes it".
>disclaimer: I don't believe in skinwalkers
>>
File: jonsnow.jpg (42KB, 570x389px) Image search: [Google]
jonsnow.jpg
42KB, 570x389px
>>9122620
Here in Westeros only few people believe in Wights, Night King, Army of the Dead & Giants. Only People that saw it with his own eyes believe in it.
But Dragons, & Cure for Grayscale exist. I'll will show to all Lords, Knights & Maesters in Kings landing the truth.
>>
File: b40ae9d6c034b72f0054a399dba0b305.jpg (152KB, 946x1193px) Image search: [Google]
b40ae9d6c034b72f0054a399dba0b305.jpg
152KB, 946x1193px
>>9124556
Do you believe in ghosts?
>>
File: 1427820103132.png (214KB, 1024x1113px) Image search: [Google]
1427820103132.png
214KB, 1024x1113px
>>9122620
I believe in Meme Magic.
>>
File: 1496636690435.jpg (136KB, 599x657px) Image search: [Google]
1496636690435.jpg
136KB, 599x657px
>>9124763
>he hasn't blended together the occult and the sciences yet

Jesus what a brainlet.
>>
>>9124759
i honestly dont know if I do.
>>
/x/ is like 50/50 when it comes to wrong and right
like the shit they're doing over at CERN is collecting fucking anti matter
hence the Mandela Effect
they're producing a larger magnetic field than our fucking planet
pretty soon they'll tear through dimensions and open a portal into hell
>>
>>9124581
> semi automatic
> machine guns
Pick one
No seriously you have to pick one
>>
>>9122620
>What if...
Mods ban this sick filth
>>
>>9122620
I once saw what looked like a bullfrog but it's body was yellow and it's limbs were blue like and exotic poison dart frog. Must be a rare mutation or something.
>>
>>9125697
Nah bro, I've got them... under my spell...

>>9125670
Aren't the CERN folks doing those Pagan dances in dark robes and all that jazz pretty often? Obviously they're just having a laugh, but if you were a conspiracy theorist, you'd find that pretty suspicious.

>>9125537
I don't believe in "spirits" and "supernatural" stufflike "blood rites" or whatever, but I can buy "higher beings" or "spells". One can becalled "extremelly advanced alien" and the other "formulas with sigils". Hell, there have been Monks who've supported this worldview instead of their usual Bible-Facts.
>>
>>9124759
Duuno... maybe? I don't want to believe the world is so boring that "only what you can see and touch is real". I wanna fucc hawt succubi man!
>>
>>9122620
What (I think) you are trying to do is make excuses in order to believe in shit that isn't real.
>I get that this is a science board
Yes so we are supposed to come to conclusions based on evidence, not baseless belief. sorry if this sounds hostile, I don't mean this unkindly
>>
>>9122620
One time I've taken shrooms I've literally talked to forest spirits and the land, saw some crazy shit and had a real "spiritual" experience, but even though I had an "experience", I still know that it was only manifestation of subconsciousness going haywire from chemical imbalances in the brain.

Subjective experience means nothing.
>>
>>9122620
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Grainy footage is not evidence.
>>
The amount of anti-science horse shit in this thread is insane.
Healthy skepticism has died, and stupidity has taken its place.
Provide evidence for your claims, or fuck off back to /x/.
>>
>>9122620
>"Mermaids" could be some kind of fish who vaguely looks humanoid in the dark.

Seals.
>>
>>9124556
>Science is about trying to explain the unexplained

Sometimes the explanation is "crazy people make shit up."
>>
>>9124566
"Believe" is fine, believe whatever you want.

But to be really relevant to a science board, you ought to have some evidence to back that up. A bone or two would suffice.
>>
>>9124581
>> the only way to prove their real is to produce a body

This is incorrect, though.

EG -- capture a live one, find a carcass, find hair that does not turn out to be bear fur when genetically tested...
>>
>>9125670
Stronger magnetic field != larger.

Note that the planet is really fucking big.
>>
>>9126260
You have to go back fedora tipper.
>>
Page 10 Bump.
>>
>>9125670
>larger magnetic field
When will this meme die? Literally any household magnet produces a stronger magnetic field than the planet, because the magnet is made entirely out of magnetic material, while you are thousands of miles away from the Earth's magnetic core, so no shit the magnet you can actually get close to will be stronger at close range. As for larger, the LHC's magnetic field isn't larger, otherwise it would fuck with every compass in existence, and it would cause a severe geomagnetic storm that would knock out the power grid every time it's turned on or off.
>antimatter
Can you explain to me why antimatter causes the "Mandela effect"? Do thunderstorms cause it too, considering they also produce antimatter?

By the way, the energies at which the LHC operates have been observed in nature a gorillion times, which is one of the reasons why the scientists knew that it won't fuck shit up. There is nothing mysterious or sinister about that place.
>>
Grew up in a scientific household. Parents were scientists.
Loved science all my life. Loved its principles. Loved it discoveries. Loved it rationality. Deep conviction that science is the only way to progress and truly understand the nature of existence and reality.
Went on to do masters in physics and astronomy. Work in observatory, making observations, data gathering, number crunching. Boring as fuck sometimes but has its moments that make it all worth while.

But I have had some pretty fucking weird experiences in my life. Not related to physics or astronomy. Other stuff. Small things, big things, that defy all rational explanation. Don't know what to make of them. Jury is out. It bugs me sometimes when I think of them.

But I am convinced that there is much much more to our existence and the nature of the Universe than meets the eye. Much much more. Just that it is so unusual, so unrepeatable, so fleetingly experienced, so seemingly random, that it lies beyond scientific scrutiny for the present.

Pretty sure I will go to my grave without ever knowing what they were. I just try to put things into a historical perspective. I imagine people in the future, say in the 25th century, looking back at our science now, doing so in the same way we might regard the early scientific endeavors of the 17th century. Yeah, sort of on the right track, but barely scratching the surface and with so much more yet to be unearthed. Perhaps ignoring vital clues and disregarding important features.

Who the fucks knows? All we have is science and that is the best we can do, for now.
>>
>>9124759
Why does he have the pedophile tattoo symbol on his head?
>>
>>9127915
>But I have had some pretty fucking weird experiences in my life. Not related to physics or astronomy. Other stuff. Small things, big things, that defy all rational explanation. Don't know what to make of them. Jury is out. It bugs me sometimes when I think of them.
Care to share some more? Got some "real world X-Files"?

>>9127991
It's the symbol that the killer would draw on the back of his victim's. It's there in the first episode, with the woman tied to the tree.
>>
File: FBI-pedophile-symbols-page1.jpg (676KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
FBI-pedophile-symbols-page1.jpg
676KB, 1275x1650px
>>9128000
ok pedo-chan
>>
>>9128004
Eh, dunno about all that. The pic's from True Detective, Season 1. The story did revolve about a CP-Cult though, so I guess they did their research.
>>
>>9122620
there are lifeforms swimming in the deep ocean we can't imagine.
maybe, MAYBE we even find some other intelligent species there, keep in mind that dolphins, for example are intelligent too. i don't think that they have a human intelect but maybe they are above dolphin level.
we don't know what is there yet so who knows...
>>
>>9127915
The problem with your weird experiences is that your instruments for observation lack precision and accuracy. Your brain fails at interpreting observations every day, just see a book on optical illusions
>>
>>9128000

Nothing concerning aliens or bullshit. Just weird shit. Okay here is one.

I was working outside. Bright sunny day. Everything normal. Nothing unusual. Doing mundane outside work digging holes for fence posts.

Then I felt this weird sensation. Like there was something there near me. So strong was this sensation I kept looking around. Then suddenly I felt like I was being attacked. No physical pain. Just like there was something coming after me, trying to get me. It was insane. There was nothing there except an open field and blue skies. I kept swing around, my spade in hand, trying to see this invisible attacker.

I was filled with this absolutely intense sensation of fear and hate, I was trembling with it, sweating, shaking. I remember being so afraid. I yelled out "Fuck off! Fuck off!".

Then, as suddenly as it happened, it stopped. I was left there, everything the same as before, just shaking and going WTF WAS THAT?

Later after I had calmed down I tried to rationalize it. Must have been a brain malfunction was my only conclusion. Something went fucking haywire in my brain's neural network and just flipped on the fear/anger management center or something like that. Its bothered me for many years but I just wrote it off to a temporary lapse of sanity.

I believed that for a long time.
>>
>>9128182

I absolutely agree. Thats why I say the jury is out. There is no way to replicate, no way to compare "results", no way to gather data. No way to scrutinize with scientific scrutiny. But on the other hand to write off all such experiences as brain farts and to ignore every phenomena that can not be subjected to the scientific method is to ignore the possibility that they have some physical basis in reality.
>>
>>9126329
While a lack of bones is a valid point, I just find it odd how strong of a meme it is. It's not like a jackalope or something. Every state and Native American tribe has some form of reported "fake" sighting.
>>
>>9127873
I don't whether or not anti matter causes the mandela effect
I do know that anti matter is "anti matter"!
being around small amounts of it will fuck you up in all kinds of ways
it is basically evil incarnate
>>
>>9127915
well, science has yet to fully explain our consciousness and subconsciousness
there is so much we don't know about our own minds and "spirit"
once we can explain it, a lot of this paranormal stuff will be much easier to explain
but that's probably not the end of it
>>
>>9129872
educate yourself matey
>>
>>9128911
You are right, it was a brain malfunction. That is all, no ghosts or anything paranormal. Move on.
>>
>>9129886

Yeah I did move on. Shunted it off as a brain malfunction. Probably would have left it as that. Except other stuff kept happening. Nothing like that again, different, but just as weird.
>>
>>9129883
solid advice lad
preciate it
>>
>>9129934
Tell us more please.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.