[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain the banach-tarski-paradoxon to me? I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: hp_symbol_bigdata_160.jpg (10KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
hp_symbol_bigdata_160.jpg
10KB, 160x160px
Can someone explain the banach-tarski-paradoxon to me?

I just don't get the contradiction.
>>
>>9122133
Something people who think they're smart say to people who think they're dumb to make the people who think they're smart seem smart while making the people who think they're dumb seem dumb.
>>
File: Crossbow_HL2.jpg (164KB, 713x437px) Image search: [Google]
Crossbow_HL2.jpg
164KB, 713x437px
you may only shitpost ITT with banach-tarski digits
>>
>>9122133
>>9122166
>>9122177
damn
>>
File: tmp21f0-2etmp-tcm45-829400.jpg (589KB, 1750x2010px) Image search: [Google]
tmp21f0-2etmp-tcm45-829400.jpg
589KB, 1750x2010px
>>9122183
*THUNK*

*tsssss*
>>
>>9122133
>>9122166
>>9122177
good shit lads
>>
It's math with no clean physical analogue. That always makes people uncomfortable. There isn't a way in real life to automatically choose infinitely small slices of a sphere and put them back together, there's hard physical limits like matter being composed of atoms.
>>
>>9122204
I don't know. Our professor said that the contradiction lies in the unification of disjoint sets compared to the unification of the same sets with some movement.

So that would be an physical analogy.
>>
>>9122133
There's no contradiction, it's named a paradox just because it's counterintuitive
>>
>>9122204
>banach-tarski-paradoxon
It actually says a finite number of pieces (in fact, just 5 pieces suffice).
>>
>>9123464
...but each piece is an immesurable set, with infinite density. so when you split infinity in half, you end up with infinity again.
>>
>>9122133
> I just don't get the contradiction
no contradiction, seems legit
>>
>>9122204
>It's math with no clean physical analogue

No, that's the response to it. The paradox is that the volume of an object can be less than the sum of its parts which anyone will tell you is absurd.
>>
>>9122133
It's the same thing as the infinite hotel thing. Infinity causes this shit to occur, but real life is not infinitely subdividable, so you have no need to worry.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.