[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have anti-scientific parents? I have vivid memories of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Anyone have anti-scientific parents?

I have vivid memories of my parents taking me to the science museum because my aunt gave us free tickets, and my dad was always sort of hurrying us along because he thought it was kind of childish and stuff. But quite frankly they needed this science museum more than I did

There were cool astronomical exhibits with basic diagrams of the solar system and things such as this, giving the relative scale that you could walk down.

There were cool little games where you had to weigh out equal measures of metal balls to keep this big contraption balanced and it taught you about leverage and stuff.

There were cool exhibits showing life sized dinosaur figures and a timeline of the major species that have evolved leading up to us

My parents went in there with the attitude "this is for kids" which indeed they were right, it was aimed at kids. But quite frankly they needed it more than me, my dad specifically, because he doesn't believe in evolution, doesn't understand basic astronomical concepts like sun vs. planet vs. moon etc. It's a shame and I wish maybe science museums oriented themselves in a slightly more adult way so ignorant parents wouldn't stand by while their kids did the science reading. Kind of ironic. Idk. Anyone else?
>>
Its easier to teach new generations than old
>>
My father doubts the big bang because he doesn't understand it, he really hates cosmology in general for whatever reason. Doesn't seem to have a problem with evolution oddly enough despite being super Catholic though. When I try to explain to him that the big bang isn't necessarily at odds with Catholic cosmology anyway and in a way reaffirms it he doesn't want to hear it.
>>
>>9121823
My parents aren't anti scientific they just aren't scientists. My dad doesn't get epistemology and that can be a headache. As my dad is extremely intelligent and uneducated, I feel like he gets insecure when I talk down from the ivory tower. My mom and dad both know pretty much everything they know about science through raising me. I was a sperg kid that demanded to be read life encyclopedias instead of stories for bedtime, good for me my mom taught elementary school. I have always been a walking repository of facts because of my fondness for dry, analytical information. As a young adult I was a rightfully angsty life sciences kid. Often lecturing them about ecology and the state of things. They got to see me grow up loving biology and then the joy sucked out of my life with the rest of the living world. It seems they have suffered a lot of my emotional trauma with me. Overall they are very receptive to science but they do not get it like I do.
>>
>>9121823

My dad believes in all sorts of retarded conspiracy theories, from vaccines causing autism to free energy.
He's also convinced that you can use a 5kW diesel generator to run an electric car, and won't be talked out of it no matter how many times I explain to him that it's simply not possible (unless you have a huge battery bank like any other electric car).

I'm glad he at least knows enough not to blow himself up whenever he does some work on his electricals at home.

Other than that he believes in evolution (says niggers are proof, kek. he'd make a good /pol/ack) and everything else though, so he's not TOO extreme. I mean, he's not nearly flat earther level.
Also since I constantly shoot his theories down like a .50 SMG he stopped sharing them with me, which is just as well.

>now we've moved on to capitalism vs communism
>>
>>9121823
My dad threw away an entire 24 pack of bottled water because he thought the electrolytes were poison
>>
>>9122693

lolwut
>>
>>9121823
Not so much my parents, but one day my sister said "I don't like the scientific way of thinking" I've never judged her more in my entire life.
>>
>>9122675
There's no such thing as "free" energy, but I'm pretty sure we haven't tapped into some very easy energy that is out there. The planet's magnetosphere is the most interesting thing for me. If something like that can exist then why can we not figure out how to tap into some sort of the energy that's just floating around. I'm probably bluepilled on this, but I wish tesla could have continued his work all the way until today. I think we would have some pretty mindblowing shit.
>>
>>9122723

Tesla was a great inventor, but most of the stuff you see floating around are memes.

It would be interesting to find ways to utilize the charged particles deflected by Earths magnetosphere, I agree, but then it wouldn't be free energy.
It'd just be a different sort of solar energy.

Most "free energy" devices you see out there are some variant of a generator hastily bolted onto a motor. With a large concealed battery somewhere in the system, of course.
>>
>>9121823
I went to a science museum this year, I am 22. I discarded the social norms and had a lot of fun exloring the whole museum. People are shit for not enjoying stuff because they fear what others might think of them.
>>
>>9122723
Tesla wasn't on touch and he knew it. Don't get me wrong, he was a great man with a great mind, but most people on here who say (((they))) kept his ideas down are simply lying. Just read Tesla's personal writings, he knew that for the most part his ideas were making massive assumptions that could be proven and in some cases didn't even make sense.
>>
>>9122723
For what it's worth, Jupiter's moon Io has the FLUX TUBE which is practically begging to be exploited for electricity generation when space colonization comes about.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.