[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serway's Books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: SPFSAE.jpg (17KB, 250x320px) Image search: [Google]
SPFSAE.jpg
17KB, 250x320px
I've just finished my first year of physics, and Serway's books, while the best of the bunch (Yuropoor here, so not many choices), I think weren't all that good. Info was ommited, tons of stuff were left up in the air and it had the most basic of examples, while having some darn hard exercises. Considering that classes were a waste of time, I found that it wasn't that useful a book if that's your only resource.

Am I just a brainlet or have others had similar experiences with his books?
>>
>>9118252
I hate Serway, 1k pages for teaching the basic physics insights, aced all physics only reading Feynman :^)
>>
>>9118339
What'd you use for Optics and the like? I have Serway's V2 of pic related & I bought McGraw-Hill's, but I haven't opened that yet.
>>
>>9118252
>Yuropoor here, so not many choices
I don't get it.
>>
>>9118252
dude fuck that book, it overcomplicates shit so much
>>
>>9118448
Here you don't get into a Uni,you get into a branch of it. So if you choose Physics, you only do courses pre-determined by the Uni itself, which means you cannot choose anything. It's like School 2.0 in a way.

As for the book, when each semester starts, 1 month or two after its beginning, you are called to pick from a number of books, randing from 1 to 3, for each class. These books are usually old, and for example the "General Physics" Class' best book is the Serway one, which I've found dissapointing.

>>9118477
Whew, I'm not the only one! I think its problem is that it over-explains certain ares, leaves other stuff completely vague, has very awful examples, and the exercises cannot be solved if your only resource is this particular book.
>>
>>9118555
>As for the book, when each semester starts, 1 month or two after its beginning, you are called to pick from a number of books, randing from 1 to 3, for each class. These books are usually old, and for example the "General Physics" Class' best book is the Serway one, which I've found dissapointing.

britfag physics undergrad here so not quite yuropoor but i've never heard of Serway, why can't you just read other books? sounds like your uni is shit mate
>>
>>9118571
>britfag physics undergrad here so not quite yuropoor but i've never heard of Serway, why can't you just read other books?
Either there are no other books that I can select, or they are even older. Hell, the first semester's collection was the Serway book from pic related, and a Serway book from the 90s. I glanced at it because an old prof. of mine had it, and it sucked.

If you mean why I don't just buy something, well, these books are given for free, and I don't have the cash to drop 180 euros on every book for 5 classes per semester. I buy some smallerones in the 20-30 range for classes where the given books are dreadful, but that's it.

>sounds like your uni is shit mate
Unis? In Debt-Land? Shit?! Take that back this instant anon! TAKE IT BACK! Our unis are excellent! Professors never come into class! No more than 20 people attend them! Our library is open for 2 hours every week! Our books are from the 80s! Maybe even the early 2ks 'cause we're modern! Truly GREAT Unis...
>>
>>9118584
Pirate the pdfs & read them in your spare time. Better yet, drop out, get a job, save money to study at a good university in a different country and stop wasting your time with what sounds like a worthless physics education.
>>
>>9118594
>Pirate the pdfs & read them in your spare time.

I tried that with programming,but they are in English, so that's one barrier. There's also the whole "staring into a screen for hours after staring a book for hours" thing.

>Better yet, drop out, get a job, save money to study at a good university in a different country and stop wasting your time with what sounds like a worthless physics education.
>19
>no degree
>billingual
>debt-land
I'm sure I'll find tons of jobs anon.100E-per-month Super-Market Cashier or 300E-per-month Gas Station Overseer? Something like that isn't feasible in my case.

To be honest,I wanted to know whether other people had any experience with the Serway books, to tell me if they're badly written, or if I'm just a brainlet.
>>
Amerifag here, going to community college before transfering to uni for engineering, and we're using Serway 6th edition, copywrite 2004, and no mention of "modern physics"

Yeah, it's a frustrating read and the exercises are hard. You really have to do every single example problem in order to be able to answer the problems in the back of each chapter
>>
>>9118961
>Yeah, it's a frustrating read and the exercises are hard. You really have to do every single example problem in order to be able to answer the problems in the back of each chapter
So it's not just me! Thing is, the examples are pretty basic "replace-the-numbers-in-the-formulas" type of exercises, and the more you move to the "Extra/Hard Problems" the more complex they become, with no indication how to tackle them.
>>
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/college-physics-by-serway-is-it-any-good.172675/

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-for-scientists-and-engineers-by-serway-and-jewett.666158/
>>
>>9118993
The book is really designed for people doing calculus with alot of trig at the same time, i think. And you really have to be comfortable taking data and making mathematical expressions out of them.

I just finished calc 1 and physics 1. I'm not really comfortable doing those things I mentioned, but that's been my summer homework.
>>
>>9118252
Stop saying brainlet you simple-minded sheep.
>>
>>9119000
That's a pretty good site, I've gone there for help some times.

>>9119023
From whatI gather,it's fine as a side-book because it has lots of difficult problems,but it's not good as a main-book to teach you all that stuff.

>>9121619
Is "dumb" better anon?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.