[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just how important is Calculus of Variations for a physicist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 1502920597267.jpg (57KB, 482x549px) Image search: [Google]
1502920597267.jpg
57KB, 482x549px
Just how important is Calculus of Variations for a physicist? I don't enjoy it.
>>
Very important!
>>
File: yukari_ES.png (2MB, 2039x1447px) Image search: [Google]
yukari_ES.png
2MB, 2039x1447px
>>9117562
Very.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_action
>he doesn't enjoy the comfy variational lemma and everything it brings him
Very sad desu. Maybe engineering is more your speed.
>>
not exceptionally important, certainly not in its rigorous formulation, in most cases I get the feeling that physicists don't exactly know what they are talking about when they 'vary the action', so I wouldn't worry about it too much. pde's are far and away more important, and that should be any undergraduate's/beginning graduate's central focus.
>>
>>9117690
But I hate engineering.
>>
>>9117562
>for a physicist
lol
>>
>>9117701
Sorry anon but that's a problem you have to solve yourself.
>>
Well, more or less it's a principle that's understood to be important when doing physics, but exact application of it is pretty rare. Usually we just use results from the calculus of variations (CV), like the Euler Lagrange equations. You'll find it's more important to understand the results of CV than the little details.

Most of the time it's applied to the principle of least action, which defines the equations of motion in a classical system and the on-shell solutions to a quantum field theory. In QFT there's an important use of the action principle but with non-zero action. These are known as instantons and are the essence of the non-classical behavior of quantum mechanics.
>>
>>9117562
>Calculus of Variations
Easy
*phenotype smug face*
>>
>>9117562
It's pretty much all they do
>>
>>9117690
>engineering
Optimal control theory relies on calculus of variations as well.
>>
>>9117699
Is that so? Recommend me a decent book on PDE's. I find Farlow's book vapid and boring.
>>
>>9117690
>the comfy variational lemma
I fucking hate braindead anime autists who replace every good adjective with "comfy"
>>
>>9119767
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Partial_Differential_Equations
>>
>>9117562
>Calculus of Variations
>Doesnt enjoy it
>ostensibly wants to be a physicist
buckle up bud
>>
>>9117718
Very true. Like in variational principles in neuroscience. Tje variational bit doesnt matter too much or atleast it has little direct application to the brain as of yet. Its the outcome in variational bayes though is - minimizing helmholtz free energy bounds
>>
>>9117562
drop out now

you can thank me later
>>
>>9117562
Thats basically physics
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.