[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When someone is shot why is it not a death sentence? Like if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1502127324808.jpg (171KB, 1174x1048px) Image search: [Google]
1502127324808.jpg
171KB, 1174x1048px
When someone is shot why is it not a death sentence? Like if they get shot in the gut why doesn't shit leak into their wounds and how do they live long enough for it to heal?

Why do bandages and the like not heal into wounds? Like the mending flesh doesn't slowly meld with the bandages? Or do they and that's one of the reasons you change bandages so often?

If veins are so important and carry so much blood what happens if they heal? Like if you cut your femoral or whatever and it heals but stays severed is your leg basically running on fumes from the other small veins?

t. brainlet wanting to learn
>>
thanks
>>
What exactly are you asking for the first one? Sometimes bodily damage isn't enough to kill you, what could be simpler than that? A gut shot can totally leak shit into you, but that doesn't necessarily mean it would always be severe enough to kill you.

And bandages don't "heal into you" because they're not in you, they're just on the outside, protecting the wounded, vulnerable area from getting shit in it. Things which are totally inside you, like a bullet, will absolutely get healed around and stay inside you (which will definitely cause problems later). You change bandages because over time they themselves get dirty and this makes them fall off, or cause the wound to get dirty, defeating their purpose.

And veins generally re-attach themselves when they heal.
>>
>>9115286
For the first one, I mean it seems very strange to me that people can heal from gunshot wounds

It goes through you all the way right so you've got a gaping hole in your muscles or liver or what have you, seems weird that people can survive that sort of thing long enough for it to close up
>>
>>9115463
That's why you're supposed to rest when healing and not exert the damaged tissue. If it's not a vital organ, your body will still function.
>>
>>9115088
I think your core problem is you think a gunshot wound is always a gigantic hole through your body but in reality the entry and exit wounds are generally quite small and most of the damage is from the amount of Ke transferred see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunshot_wound
>>
>>9115088
>Why doesn't shit leak into their wounds?
It does. But when epithelial tissue is damaged it releases chemicals that start several processes. One is coagulation, which keeps your blood inside your body, and the other is inflammation, which recruits your immune system to keep all the shit that got in from doing much damage. But if you're talking about literal shit, like you perforate your intestines, then that actually is extremely life threatening (involving something called peritonitis). If you don't get immediate surgery, it pretty much is a death sentence.

>Why do bandages and the like not heal into wounds?
When cells divide, they split. It's not like building a scaffolding. And again, your body knows the difference between your cells and cotton. Skin grows from the inside out, so that helps anything that does "stick" stay outside.

>If veins are so important what happens if they heal, etc.
In the rare event that something like that happens, yeah, that's basically it. When we draw arterial blood, for example, we do what's called an "Allen test" to see if both arteries in the wrist are carrying enough blood to maintain the wrist while the artery we stick heals. But it's not veins that you worry about, it's arteries.

But blood vessels heal very effectively because of how they're made up. They're just easy to build in general. In fact, your body will just spontaneously make more small blood vessels when it needs some. So if you badly cut your arm, your body often just goes "fuck it" and starts building more to keep oxygen going while you heal.

I hope that answers your questions without throwing out a bunch of shit nobody cares about.

t. grad student in medical science
>>
thanks for the answers everyone I appreciate them
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.