[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Irish winter provides enough vitamin d

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: winter-sun.jpg (193KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
winter-sun.jpg
193KB, 960x720px
>IT TURNS OUT the Irish weather provides enough vitamin D during the winter months, contrary to popular belief.

>A new study from Trinity College Dublin shows Irish sunshine is not too weak to encourage vitamin D production in the skin during the ‘vitamin D winter’ of October to April.

Can someone explain this to me? I thought it was impossible build (enough) vitamin d from sunshine during winter in such high latitudes and I can't find the opposite claim in the study. Could they mean that you can build enough if you walk around naked in freezing temperatures?

Article: http://www.thejournal.ie/sunshine-irish-weather-sun-vitamin-d-3328080-Apr2017/
Study: http://m.jn.nutrition.org/content/early/2017/03/22/jn.116.244079.abstract
>>
>>9114490
wtf vitamin D has nothing to do with temperature. Just expose your ass to sunlight that's all it takes
>>
>>9114523
dat reading comprehension
>>
>>9114523
>Just expose your ass to sunlight that's all it takes
That's not exactly how it works. UVB rays need to hit your skin with a certain intensity in order for you to produce vitamin d. That's a problem during winter because the angle of the sun is much lower then and the UVB intensity is a fraction of that during summer. Not the mention that clouds also reduce the UVB intensity up to 90% if they are really thick.
And now this article essentially claims that despite all these circumstances, there is still enough UVB to produce vitamin d during winter.

Now I have already asked my question in the OP, so if someone could give me some good input on that I'd really appreciate it since it's an interesting topic for me.
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>9114577
I dont understand what youre asking. Youve posted an article that answers your fucking question. Youve posted the answer and literally begged the question. Now go home brainlet.
>>
>>9114577
Read the paper and you might find why.

I think my question now is a better one: why irish winter?
>>
>>9114490
>winter
>Ireland

Choose one Pádraig
>>
>>9116398
All right you dumb fuck. In this post >>9114577 I explained why it is very hard or even impossible to build vitamin d during winter in high latitudes.
If you read the article from to The Journal you will see that claim that it's the opposite and that it's very well possible to build vitamin d during winter in Ireland.
What I am asking is how would that be possible? The study abstract (I don't have access to the full study) doesn't says that it's possible to during winter, it says that people who enjoy more sun are less likely to be vit d deficient from what I understand. Does that mean that the news article is wrong? Does that mean that it is possible to build vitamin d in smaller, but still significant amounts? HOW MUCH VITAMIN D CAN YOU BUILD DURING WINTER ACCORDING TO THE STUDY, NOT THE NEWS ARTICLE???

>>9116406
Like I said, I don't have access to the full study and the abstract doesn't answer my questions. Also I am not a native english speaker, so I might have not understand everything right.

Also what's up with Irish winter? I am not from anywhere near there. I know England has winter, so I suppose Ireland has it too.
>>
>>9116881

use scihub.io and read it.
>>
>>9114490

maybe its the sample.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/aug/02/britain-not-sunny-enough-healthy-vitamin-d-levels-supplements

but note the article says that previously it was thought that english weather was fine for getting vitamin d so i dunno. depends on your sources.
>>
>>9116885
Never heard of that. Thanks anon.
>>9116908
It's mostly align with what I have known about vitamin d production.
>>
>>9115479
there is a reason the Irish have light skin and red hair
>>
Vitamin D is a contentious field. Holick and vieth and a few others keep telling us that it's low in most of the world and that it's linked to a million immune disorders but they use shitty RIA assays to measure it. IOM reviewed all available evidence and said that we're generally fine, read the report
>>
>>9116944
Do you have a link to the report?
>>
GO OUTSIDE
>>
Well obviously it's because the Irish are very pale. The paler your skin the more vitamin d you can produce. The people needing supplements there are the darkie migrants
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.