[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If we manage to create a simulation that is perceived by its

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: thoughtful-elon-musk.jpg (88KB, 800x574px) Image search: [Google]
thoughtful-elon-musk.jpg
88KB, 800x574px
If we manage to create a simulation that is perceived by its inhabitants to be as complex as we perceive our own universe to be, will we effectively prove the existence of (or at least provide the reasonable grounds for) a god?

I do not personally believe it would ever be possible to create a simulation that matches our own universe's complexity, even in terms of our own perception of its complexity. Therefore, I don't think it would be possible to achieve this, but maybe humans have a much lower grasp of the possibility for complexity of a universe than I think.

Discuss.
>>
You literally can not really simulate a universe as complex as our own because there are not enough atoms in the universe to construct a computer that can render that simulation.

You could simulate a pre-rendered simulation though (e.g. the universe is predetermined)
>>
>>9112882
No, I don't mean a universe that IS as complex, only one that is perceived by its inhabitants to be as complex.

For example, a simulation in which the inhabitants exclaim, "there couldn't possibly be a way to simulate a universe this complex!"
>>
>>9112889
than you should probably just make the inhabitants really dumb lol
>>
>>9112870
>>9112889
Sure it would be possible, but I don't see what god has to do with any of that. Ultimately there has to be some host universe in which everything else is nested, and the same existential questions we now have will apply to that universe.
>>
>>9112891
>>9112893
By "god" I just mean a creator. Nothing related to practiced religions.
>>
>>9112925
What's your point then?
Just because we could make a simulation doesn't prove that we are in a simulation.
And even if we are, then the creator would be basically god from our perspective, but from his own perspective it's just a normal guy.
>>
>>9112870
We dont understand planck physics yet you think we can sim a universe.
>>
>>9112870
Suppose you write a computer program to count in binary then tries to run each combination of 1's and 0's as if it was a program.

It would eventually count up to the combination of 1's and 0's that represents any simulation you desire.

Would you consider your god to be a genius or a brute-forcing retard if you were an entity within a simulation generated by this method?
>>
>>9112882
You only have to actually renders parts of the universe that are being observed by consious entities. The rest can just be some fairly basic math until observed. Double slit quantum eraser experiment anyone?
>>
>>9112891
We probably are really dumb comparing to presumed god.
>>
>>9112882
>still hasn't caught on to quantum computation
>>
1. Play minecraft.
2. Create a virtual computer within the game.
3. Program the minecraft game in the minecraft computer.
4. Congratulations, you are a god.
>>
>>9113020
no, I think that just proves there is no such thing as time or causation, that there is an eternal present and no discrete event has ever caused anything, but the universe as a whole exists without time or change
>>9112893
the existential questions which we have now...
that is a good question...
do you think a mind without senses could discover truth?
>>
File: banach-tarski.jpg (64KB, 644x374px) Image search: [Google]
banach-tarski.jpg
64KB, 644x374px
>>9112882
*blocks your path*
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.