[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you regret getting your Masters/Ph.d?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: keynes.png (396KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
keynes.png
396KB, 500x497px
Do you regret getting your Masters/Ph.d?
>>
>>9112352
Yes, I regret getting a physics Msc (only managed 3.5 gpa, am now left with useless degree)
>>
No.
>>
>>9112352
math undergrad with masters in financial engineering
no
>>
File: IMG_0090.jpg (15KB, 200x210px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0090.jpg
15KB, 200x210px
>>9112352
I regret going to Med school.
>>
>>9112445
why?
>>
>>9112450
Whoring myself out just to earn 300K a year. More like 300K in debt.
>>
>>9112352
Physics PhD reporting in: no regret!

>>9112369
Han on in there, anon. Can you continue to a PhD? Nil Carborundum.
>>
I dropped out of a master's program that would have left me $50k in debt I do not regret it.
>>
nope
>>
i kind of want to get a PhD in econ. Would that be retarded?
>>
>>9112462
dr's pay their student loans off at like 99% after a few years
>>
>>9112757
>physics phd
>still posting on 4chan
why?
i wish i had the mental fortitude and the work ethic to be a phd
Don't worry, I've been in university for way too long - I know my heart isn't in it, before you offer words of encouragement, though i would have appreciated the sentiment regardless
>>
>>9112352
Yes, because I burned out on the last leg of my PhD and walked away with a Masters
>>
>>9112380
>financial engineering
What's this meme I've just heard of?
>>
>>9114121
is this a joke lmao? finishing my phd was easier for me than the prior 8 years of fucking retardation in HS and undergrad. As well you think you just suddenly become a different person when you have a phd? If you like chan now and get one you are still going to like chan after the fact
>>
CS Master left me with 13k euros in dept and now i'm doing a phd in computational Neuroscience. Earning 50k a Year

God bless germany
>>
>>9112445
still in residency or past that?
i've heard 5-7 years after med school are basically utter hell
>>
>>9114399
data science meme that became a thing a couple years
working as a quant or something similar is the closest we'll get to the 300k math meme
>>
>>9114663
>50k a year with a masters in CS

fucking kek
>>
>>9114674
i'm employed at the university and basically being paid that to study. so i think it bretty gud

where is that 300k meme from?
>>
I did BS ChemE MS Materials. I wish I had done ChemE + CS of some sort.
>>
>>9112352
No. I work on research that is directly relevant to my scientific interests and I have lots of freedom with respect to my work schedule. I'm pretty much just expected to produce results in a reasonable amount of time.
>>
>>9112445
hey anon
If med school would cause 30k of debt instead of 300k, wouldn't you say it's fucking amazing?
>>
>>9112352
Math PhD and I would give everything if I could go back and do something else
>>
>>9112771
What are you doing now?
>>
>>9112352
>implying anyone would want to have dinner with a Keynesian economist
bruh
>>
>>9113579
If you're an econ undergrad, you pretty much have to commit to a PhD.
>>
>>9115282
What about a business studies undergrad?
>>
>>9115292
Studying business is a mistake in and of itself.
>>
>>9115347
I know but mistakes been made
>>
>>9114419
>is this a joke lmao? finishing my phd was easier for me than the prior 8 years of fucking retardation in HS and undergrad
you didn't say you were a social sciences phd
pls go and stay go
>>
>>9115282
Econ. undergrad here

Why do i have to commit to a PhD?

Because undergrad is overesaturated and Econ. is only useful at PhD level?
>>
File: phd102008s.gif (40KB, 600x545px) Image search: [Google]
phd102008s.gif
40KB, 600x545px
>>9114121
>why?
I kind of stumbled in here a few years ago, mainly in /sci/ and /g/. Lots of noise but also occasionally some good signal.

Doing a PhD was a slog and I was close to burned out at the end. I got better. So I try to encourage people taking the same route.

It takes its toll though, pay is low and most of my then fellow students are still unmarried.
>>
>>9115471
Professors don't even need that much money. I think 90k is already a lot desu.
>>
File: 1492320805917.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1492320805917.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>9112352
No I left school young and worked hard.

In my mid 30s and make around 200k a year with good benefits.
>>
>>9115738
Zero debt too
>>
>>9114663
Where exactly
>>
I'm at the middle of mine and some days are better than others. I went into it think I'd meet lots of cool people who share my interests but 95% of my peers are old/married, foreign (wouldn't matter but they seem to stick to their own groups), or painfully uninteresting/awkward (ex at dinner some girl explained the menu word for word for some fast food restaurant our state doesn't even have). It can be lonely. Science-wise I'm mostly happy but can feel myself getting burnt out.
>>
>>9115623
You know what they say "pay peanuts, get monkeys." If life as a scientist does not pay (and even today you need a lot of idealism to stay) we will see new development coming to a halt. That means no new medicine, less cool stuff and entering stasis.
>>
>>9116260

People who go into science don't do it for the money. It's never been profitable.
>>
>>9116280
I know, I was there. Trouble is, even with all the idealism the money was just not enough to pay down my student loans. And I didn't spend any money on partying, alcohol, tobacco or girls. Most of my colleagues from that time are still unmarried. Who can get married on 2 - 3 year contracts at salary levels like this?
>>
>>9114668
after u graduate med school you must do a MIN 1 year of residency (for senpai doctor) and you only get paid around ~40k a year.

next is 3 years minimum for a dumb speciality like derm

4 years for surgery residency

at this point you are in ur 30s rofl
>>
>>9114364
That's still pretty fucking great though
>>
>>9115738
Brainlet work drone
>>
>>9115738
congrats, what do you do?
>>
>>9112352
what is with this keynesian hatred of meatballs?
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.