[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people nowadays so much smarter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1502988954882.png (46KB, 191x192px) Image search: [Google]
1502988954882.png
46KB, 191x192px
I am a high school Philosophy teacher, which means I teach Philosophy to high schoolers. To make my classes as little boring as possible, I let my students talk, debate, argue etc as much as possible. Countless times already I have seen high schoolers, even the "moronic football team captain" or "braindead party girl" types of student, talk about their own worldviews in perfect allignment with some of the greatest thinkers. For example, I have a few students who often argue you can't know anything for sure exists besides yourself while others advocate everything is essentially the shadow of an idea. Then there are those who think everyone is born good, but they are corrupted by the evil in this world, and others who think everyone is born neutral, like a zero. And all of them say this without having ever read a Philosophy book at all. How come? It takes hundreds, thousands of years for one great person to suddenly make a major breakthrough in Philosophy... but these days, 16 year olds without a fraction of the education the great masters had can intuitively reach the same conclusions. Why is that, /sci/? Have human brains simply gotten bigger over the course of time? I don't get it.
>>
>>9112022
Those seem like pretty basic ideas friendo. This is definitely /his/ rather than /sci/ though. Those kids have seen the matrix and shit like that, the ideas are already in society and the media they consume.
>>
>>9112046
If they're so basic why did it take genius intellect for them to be formulated at first? For kids to intuitively grasp what for thousands of years was simply unknown, that's quite a feat. That's the point I'm trying to make, just with different words.

Maybe you're right. The ideas, being discovered, have their toll on society, which makes it possible for others to intuitively understand them. Just as how you don't need to be Einstein to think like Einstein.

This thread belongs here because it's of scientific nature. I'm asking about a natural phenomenon, an observation, rather than debating the aforementioned philosophies.
>>
>>9112022
Wow it's almost like popular philosophical concepts influence people through pop culture
>>
>>9112057
This.

Also "the intellectual giants of the past came up with the same ideas as my high school kids" should be seen as a view into the theoretical poverty of those thinkers more than some endorsement of the adolescent intellect
>>
File: IMG_1188.jpg (39KB, 576x510px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1188.jpg
39KB, 576x510px
There's no way they're not just regurgitating pop culture philo memes(in the Dawkins sense). If you ever go over Plato's cave, attempt to link that up with the forms(and the sun as the form of the good) and watch them all give up, as they only understand it on the level of The Matrix.

Also, this probably fits best on /lit/ famalam
>>
>>9112055

>philosophy

No wonder you think you're students are so smart. You're all bullshit artists and your students are farming free A's off of you.

>without ever reading a philosophy book at all

No shit! All you're talking about is shit that can't even be put in a book! It's history can, but at it's heart all you're talking about is opinions and feeling based on experience which anyone can do.
I'm curious as to how well your students are doing in their other classes where genuine usable knowledge is taught, did you ever wonder or look up that fact?
>>
>>9112022
Well, the thing is that philosophy is braindead tier. You can have any opinion about anything and that counts as a philosophical position.

Most of the things you mentioned they said literally mean nothing because they are no more than opinions and the fact that you are impressed by kids having opinions shows how braindead you are.
>>
>>9112022
>How come?
Because philosophy is bullshit.
>>
>>9112062
they "invented" the ideas.

not just rememed them
>>
>>9112298
No they didn't kid. They memorised some quote from a clever caption picture they saw on facebook. Philosophy trickles down
>>
>>9112302
i was saying past thinkers invented the ideas and that the kids are repeating quote memes

sorry for any confusion
>>
>>9112298
How do you know that they invented them. We are exposed to a lot of these ideas in media such as films and television series, as well as sources like Internet forums. A 16 year old has had plenty of time on the Internet to encounter them.
>>
>>9112022
Try teaching them logic
>>
>>9112333
This.

OP you're doing your students a great disservice. Philosophy isn't a conversation topic, it's a methodology for breaking down and understanding arguments.
>>
>>9112022
I grew up without TV on a farm and could only get dial up. I came up with those kinds of thoughts too when I was around 12. When I went to high school I actually made friends and we debated these things heavily. I think a lot of this stuff arises naturally if you have time to think about yourself and how you fit in the world. My experience is that kids aren't smarter in this sense, but the divide is much larger between those with critical thinking skills and those that can't help themselves because their phone tells them everything.
>>
>>9112022
Sorry OP, but these conversations remind me of the dumbest most degenerate people I know.

Walk into my brothers room, he's smoking weed, sitting next to his shoe collection, watching girls twerk on vine, and talking about how everything has already happened because time isnt real

No understanding or logical reasoning behind it, just blabbering
>>
>>9112022
>gets high
>watches conspiracies and pop-philosophy on youtube
>understands the world now
and apparently convinces a philosophy teacher that they are intelligent
>>
>>9112298
If you believe Plato, all we ever do is "remember" philosophy
Something something forms something

Call me when one of them independently rederives marxism
>>
>>9112022
Philosophy is just a conceptual articulation of these views. People have been asking these questions in their own way for thousands of years. Read enough philosophy and you could see Hegel in a drug commercial.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.