[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just had a thought. I've recently been having a fly problem,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

I just had a thought. I've recently been having a fly problem, so much so that I bought a bunch of things to get rid of them. Occasionally I try to catch one, which is difficult. It occurred to me that I needed to predict where it would be by the time my hand got there, not where it is now. But then I thought that flies have excellent reflexes, so I need to predict which direction it will flee in instead.

Is that a paradox? Because if I alter where my hand grabs based off where it might flee, then the direction the fly flees will also be altered, and in predicting that, I would again need to alter my grab...

Just a heads up, I've made it my life goal to extinct them, regardless of the potential ecological disasters it may cause.
>>
>>9110076
why is that a paradox in any way? i dont understand. You are "guessing" which way the fly will react to a known action (trying to swat it) based on previous experience with similar flies. The fly is only reacting, you are predicting.
>>
Nice thread OP
>>
Bait the fly. Then it will always fly to a certain direction, for the bait. Or ya know, turn on a fan and open a window. That pisses those little buggers off.
>>
>>9110084
I thought I made it clear what I'm imagining. You predict, and change your hand's trajectory. But in changing your hand's trajectory, the fly will no longer react the same way. You have to predict how it will react to the new trajectory of your hand. If you make a prediction of it's new escape path, you again have to change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab, which will cause the fly to flee in another direction, which in predicting, you would change where you grab....
>>
>>9110096
> You predict, and change your hand's trajectory
yea this is the problem im having problems with. You dont change your swat in mid-swat based on where the fly is. You take an educated guess and either hit it or dont. You dont self-correct with feedback from the fly's movements, you're not that fast. The fly however, does, at least to the best of its ability, but if your swat is faster than it can correct you will still hit it

if you want a neat trick, place your hands about 8 inches apart like half a foot above a landed fly. simply clap your hands at a normal speed and 90% of the time the fly will instinctually jump up vertically preparing for flight, right into your hands.
>>
>>9110100
I mean before you ever even throw your arm our there though.

Say the fly is buzzing to the right. You predict that if you lead a bit, and grab him further to the right, he will react and fly off the the left. But you havn't even thrown your arm out yet. The idea that you might instead throw your hand where he will flee in reaction to your hand is impossible, not based on human or real world limitations, but on logic. Because If you do make a prediction, like the the fly will go left in reaction to your hand, you will instead grab to its left, the fly will no longer flee left. It will continue on to the right. It seems paradoxical to me. I'm not actually having a mental breakdown trying to figure out how to catch flies. Thanks for the trick.
>>
>>9110107
seriously though, my grandfather taught my that trick and it works really really well once you perfect it.

i still dont really get your question, especially if you're talking about grabbing a fly. I've grabbed plenty of flies out of the air, and generally speaking you just naturally aim for where the fly will be when your hand reaches it's location, and the fly cant really respond fast enough and gets caught. Maybe ive just caught genetically weak flies though, because there have been cases where one fly will avoid capture that way no matter how fast or predictive i think im being, they just are faster than me.
>>
File: 5BSggeQAy6-4[1].png (18KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
5BSggeQAy6-4[1].png
18KB, 300x250px
>>9110110
>genetically weak flies
Made me think of genetically beefy flies
>>
>>9110121
think that's a pretty good representation of the flies that have eluded me... kek
>>
>>9110076
How are you planning to extinct them? I want in, I hate those fuckers, especially the green ones
>>
Futurama. Drop down and move to the side. Faster. You should not have fired at me but where it was going to be
>>
Drop down, reverse direction.
>>
>>9110076

It's not a paradox you just aren't fast enough
>>
>>9110076
If you have low ceilings, catch flies thusly:

1: Get a glass half filled with soapy water (soapy the break up the surface tension so the fly will sink.)
2: Slowly bring glass up under fly as it sits on ceiling.
3: SLOWLY!
4: Eventually the fly will catch on that something is movinc towards him and will try to fly away.
5: If you are close enough, he falls into the water because a fly, dropping from the ceiling, falls a few inches as he somersaults to get right-side-up before he starts to flap his little wings.
6: ?????
7: PROFIT!

Or buy a flay swatter.
>>
>>9110076
grab a rubberband, they are excellent for hunting flies.
Your hand is slow and probably pushes the air away with the fly but a rubberband is extremely fast.
Judt shoot it at them when they sit down and with some practice you can easily hit them and it knocks them unconscious or rips of a wing.
It's mostly even clean, you wont end up squashing them.
If you want to absolutely destroy them cut the rubberband and hold on to one end, hold it as close to the fly as possible without it flying away and shoot it with the other end. Then you will get blood and pieces because the rubber band is actually slowed down a lot if you shoot it as a whole ring and not just one end.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.